1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I’ve now seen it twice as I took my 8 year old son yesterday. It is really good and it is a shame that Star Wars burnout/backlash from TLJ is causing people to avoid it. It’s a really fun movie.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with the Finn arc so much as Finn himself. I can understand how many would feel Canto Bight is unnecessary, but I personally think his scenes are important in his development because essentially he's a little kid and easily manipulated. He has no conviction, doesn't know his path or place in this universe, and doesn't seem to even realize how lost he is. Since he was basically brainwashed by the First Order, he knows nothing else. The problem is Boyega's performance is a bit too over-the-top at times.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's $2.99 for rental on Amazon Prime
    I thought it was entertaining

[​IMG]

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Obi-Wan's biggest weakness is not making sure people are dead. That could get him killed one day.

Deuce, Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

mikol13, Torn n Frayed and tinman like this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw this the other week and I gotta say...I liked this one from the start and it felt like old Star Wars. I loved the pacing and the film was one big action romp with minimal dialogue. I don’t get any bad reviews for this one.

DCkid and Yung-T like this.
  7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I finally saw Solo - I really liked it. Obviously it was no Academy Award winner, but It was fun.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I agree with you guys. I did not have high hopes going in and the reviews didn't help but I finally saw it and it was pretty enjoyable. Nothing earth shattering but fun none the less.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He died when Annakin was 9 and Luke was born when Annakin was about 20?
    that would make Annakin / Vader about 37 in Star Wars.
    Harrison Ford was about 35 when he played Solo, so we can assume Solo was about 35 as well (or 2 years younger than Vader)
    So wouldn't Darth Maul have died when Solo was about 7?
    Otherwise, Darth Maul would still be alive when Annakin became Vader

of course this is all based on the film timeline. I did some digging on the animated series (which I do not watch) and found some interesting things. The Animated Series tells us that although he was thought to have perished, he survived his initial battle with Kenobi and later returned. Only to be killed by Kenobi in the 4th season of Star Wars Rebels. This works because Rebels takes place 5 years before A New Hope, so he was alive until Solo was about 30.

mikol13 likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We liked it when we saw it, too, as it did have that nostalgic kind of who cares about the big story arc feel quite as much to it.

But the downfall of it, imo, was all the mismanagement in getting it made, where it switched directors midway, etc. It DID feel a bit like a bunch of different movies. The part up and through the train heist movie - which was the great part, imo... then the movie where they had to go to that planet and donald glover's AI girlfriend "struggled" and then they had to go into some space cloud, which was just bizarre... and then the desert part which was meh.

If they had just continued on the path of the train heist movie, it would have been great.

Moreover, because of the above problems, Donald Glover's talent was just wasted and Paul Bettany was atrocious. Bettany was added when Ron Howard was added, basically by sending a text to Howard saying "i want to be in Star Wars!"... then he basically said what's the most common/average Paul Bettany character I can play without putting much effort into it, and there ya go!

I'm not sure what the deal is/was with the original director or why they stepped aside/were forced to step aside, but i believe the movie would have been much better if they stayed on. What was the last good Ron Howard movie.. Frost/Nixon in 2008?

DCkid likes this.
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree. I am perplexed by movie reviews these days. The Last Jedi dumpster fire gets rave reviews, and the lean, efficient, satisfying Solo gets panned. o_O

MadMax and Yung-T like this.
  12. JayZ750

I agree with this on the whole.

However for a solid review of the movie, and a great ongoing podcast for TV (mostly) and film, check out:
    https://www.theringer.com/2018/5/29/17406200/did-solo-a-star-wars-story-work

DCkid likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Weird, I didn't like it nearly as much as Rouge One. Mainly because the Empire was barely even mentioned.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I loved this in the movie. It was a great and fun surprise for me. And I am ready for sequel.....though not expecting it.

DCkid likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, they initially had had the movie to be more of a joke fest. (Lego Movie, 22 Jump Street) It would have been worse and a parody. Howard brought it back to a Star Wars movie. Howard was also responsible for that surprise character at the end.

Bettany was brought in because the original actor that was to play that role, Michael Kenneth Williams, was not available due to filming other stuff. Further, Williams character would have been motion capture CGI vs human like Bettany.

DCkid likes this.
  16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd say...
    Rogue one is no worse than an 8/10.
    Solo is no greater than a 7/10 and not worse than a 6/10
    Last Jedi is no greater than a 5/10

Those are the objective, indisputable guidelines that others can feel free to use when making their own ratings. :D

mikol13 and MadMax like this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm one of the few I guess that didn't really get into "Rogue One". I found "Solo" much more to my liking.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Wow, I'm shocked so many of you like/love this movie. I thought it was average at its best, and shitty at its worst. I honestly can't think of one thing I legitimately enjoyed about it.

For the current batch of films, I'd rate them:

Rogue One - 7/10
    The Force Awakens - 6/10
    The Last Jedi - 6/10
    Solo - 4.5/10

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I totally loved Rouge One -- got that cajun blood in my veins though.

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k and Torn n Frayed like this.
  20. JayZ750

Interesting.

That does indeed sound worse. But then Deadpool on paper didn't sound that great either. And more specifically, surely they pitched the idea and someone gave them the green light??

Bettany was horrible.