1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The Clone Wars cartoons are still canon and Boba appeared there as well, slowly becoming a bounty hunter.

The only way to make your theory work is if they completely throw a middle finger at everything told and have Emilia Clarke's character kill an adult Boba and change identities. Which seems turrible, but with Disney who knows.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I remember a time when sports games were not produced annually, and the first time I think it happened was NBA live, and thought to myself nobody will ever buy a video game every year just for roster updates. I was so wrong on that one. So do I think you can flood the market with SW content. Nope. I don't. I think the next generation wants more and they want it faster and now. Better yes. But faster too. The only variance might be their attention span. So they may have to evolve the content into micro movies which just means repackaging more often.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

How does he become a bounty hunter? I was thinking about that last night. I mean his father had to be loaded right so I'm thinking bounty hunters need money to do what they do..

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I just read the boba fett story and I never realized that Han Solo was bait for Skywalker all this time. That Vader hired the bounty hunters. Not Jabba. Makes sense tho'. I just assumed Jabba wanted him on the wall. I'm not sure that you could get that from the Return of the Jedi movie, but maybe you can.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

those are plot points from Empire Strikes Back.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Movie was pretty good. Not sure exactly why (realism probably) but I prefer the ancillary, non-force stories and characters more like Rouge One which was great. Solo doesn't reach that level but it's pretty good.

mikol13 likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i streamed solo last night, skipping around watching 30 second segments here and there... doesn't look to impressive. i kept thinking harrison ford and the mannerisms of this new dude just doesn't fit.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I am 100% with this now seeing how poorly the movie is doing. All of the other reasons I thought were the issue are just amplifying people's feelings about TLJ. If this came out in December, people would be less angry about TLJ. The production problems just reminded people about how they felt about TLJ. etc.

This is Star Wars. A box office monster. This will be the poorest performing Star Wars film ever.

The Marvel IP for films was almost worthless for decades. We got 2 films per year in 2014, 2015, 2016, three in 2017 and 4 in 2018. In a way I give the fans a ton of credit for voting with dollars. Typically they will just buy anything that says Star Wars.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously? That might be the nerdiest thing I've ever heard. What a bunch of dorks.

I've actually enjoyed Solo and Rogue One much more than VII or VIII. Rogue One was the best SW movie since ROTJ. The First Order just doesn't do anything for me when compared to the Empire.

But like I said earlier, I've lowered my expectations since TFA. And I've given up on my dream of seeing a SW movie set between III and IV that just has Vader traveling around the galaxy killing Jedi. Now, I'm just expecting to have a fun experience in the movie theater for a couple of hours - nothing more. I think some of nerds referenced above are expecting some kind of religious experience and are disappointed when it doesn't happen that way. So they're throwing a fit.

Shroopy2, Yung-T and mikol13 like this.
  10. Nero

Nero Member

I went to a really expensive restaurant the other day. Didn't actually EAT there, but I walked around inside for a couple minutes, and picked up a few scraps from peoples' tables and tasted them. Didn't seem too impressive. None of it tasted like filet mignon like I expected. Two thumbs down.

Dayop, mikol13, DoitDickau and 14 others like this.
  11. runamok

runamok Member

lol

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just got back from Solo. I thought it was awesome. Fun and a delight. Good action and pacing. Story was solid. Lots of nice easter eggs and connective tissue to Star Wars. Cool creatures.

If you can't "get into" the "younger Han" character I can see how that could bring down the movie for you. To each there own. I was able to accept it for the sake of the story.

mikol13, Yung-T, ipaman and 1 other person like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nice review here from Kylo Ren.

PhiSlammaJamma, K mf G and marks0223 like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For me, the surprise cameo at the end of Solo was awesome. And kudos to Ron Howard for pushing for that. It made me enjoy the movie more and have more interest in sequels to Solo or inclusions in other stand alone movies. Fun.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

So at this point, wouldn't Darth Maul be tryin to get his position back from Vader, that he never should have lost. I mean u think about the irony that Vader was brought back from nothing, and Maul who lost everything, was never saved. That's some **** ass hypocrisy by Sideous.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My friends and I are overly critical of movies, especially Star Wars movies (because we love them so much). Every one of us liked this move. Solid B+. The word of mouth and all the folks I know that have seen it don't understand the lower review scores on the internet.

We also want more Donald Glover as Lando.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Do you think "Star Wars fatigue" has caused the lower ratings or box office take?
    Did the heightened competition from Avengers & Deadpool2 lessen the box office take?
    Did the backlash to The Last Jedi lessen the Solo box office take or review scores?

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Never mind the wack scooter they gave him for an important mission.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All of it combined.

Deuce and mikol13 like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, feels that way.