1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K mf G, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Cops today dont look like cops in the 70s.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

You know a lot of theaters do assigned seats now? You can show up late if you want to miss the trailers and then just walk straight to your seat.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm glad they don't quite look the same. Uniforms in our own armed forces change somewhat over time (although sailors will always be wearing the Dixie cup); certainly the stormtroopers can change a bit (but look very much like the originals; let's see if they still can't shoot straight).

Looks like they're going for more of a three dimensional character from the get-go (although, true, Darth Vader's character changed in the third installment). A dude who drank the KoolAid and thinks everything he does is justified.

From the trailers, Kylo looks like he's swinging that lightsaber (sounds like a p*rn reference) as if he means it. Captain Phasma might bring some badassery as well.

In any case, I'm getting hyped up.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think the prequels went wrong when they made the aesthetic fit their time, when they should have made it even more retro futuristic than the original trilogy. I think JJ has done a good job of keeping the overall retro future look in this new movie but with some added modern future aesthetics. That said, i also don't like the new storm troopers. They look like an Apple Product. They look a little too happy. Looks like they have a smile and shades where as the original looks more like a skull.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm gonna do something different and root for the Sith this time. I wonder if it'll change my viewing experience throughout this trilogy.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Welcome to the Dark Side. I want Luke to turn Sith so badly.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It will definitely change your experience if you cheer loudly in the theater for your new team, especially if near families with children in attendance. :grin: I encourage this.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with all of this. The originals definitely had a frown and these new ones do kind of look like they're smiling. But ultimately, the stormtrooper deal isn't a deal-breaker for me, just a minor complaint. I'm still beyond pumped about this movie.

Dude, I was rooting for Palpatine throughout all 3 prequels.

I wonder if the Emperor will even be referenced in VII. I think I remember hearing that in some of the books, his spirit doesn't actually die and ends up taking over someone else's body and wreaking havoc all over again.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

people don't buy memorabilia that looks like the stuff they already have.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

here is the original Star Wars trailer from 1977. Things have certainly changed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9gvqpFbRKtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ha! So glad they included R2D2 falling over.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only thing that I'm meh about (keeping in mind I've only seen like two trailers and refuse to watch more) is that the bad guy's lightsaber is practically stupid. I mean, it has fire for a handle. LOL

In the expanded universe (books) he had clones of himself and could possess the clones when he died.

13. PeppermintCandy

"A story of a boy, a girl, a universe." Ha.

I love that the trailer is nearly 2 minutes long, but you still can't tell what the story is about.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't think that's gonna happen, breh. My bet is that he's in seclusion because he doesn't want anything to do with the whole Jedi/Sith thing after his traumatic experiences as a young chap.

I couldn't find myself to root for an old weirdo. Not bad ass enough IMO. Rylo Ken, even his lightsaber is badass.

So if that's the case, couldn't someone powerful like Yoda also posses a young yoda-race-alien and kick Palpatine clone's ass?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I loved the explosion at the end.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

a good analysis of how Luke Skywalker was radicalized into a jihadi

http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radicalization-of-luke-skywalker-a-jedis-path-to-jihad/

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

So is there no big premiere for all the actors and celebs etc at like the Chinese theater in LA or anything? Basically no one is seeing it til Thursday night? I'm so scared of Facebok pages related to movies or Star Wars that i've "liked" and they post images and articles with spoiler headlines. Maybe just to be safe, i should delete facebook for the next week.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Anyone want to watch the Star Wars movies online..... http://yify.tv/?s=star+wars . The first trilogy seems to be the Original versions....not the Special Editions.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Click on the Movie Posters to play. Then use one of the mirrors.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Apparently the embargo for the reviews is done on the 16th, so we should hear about it Tuesday or so.