1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Trek 2 (2013)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I'll back almost anything JJ Abrams does.

Looking forward to this.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

As long as it's not a recreation of Wrath of Kahn and follows it's own path, I'm fine with whatever they do. Been stoked for a sequel since the first one.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Who is this Khan character? I don't follow the old Trek movies, but I did watch the a few of the Shatner series. And is he part Indian?

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He is the general manager of the Timberwolves

1 person likes this.
  5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Out of curiousity, I dove into the new comics (Rob Orci directing the vision and dropping "canon" bits into it).

Two seeds they're definitely planting for the movie sequel:
    Spock is still grappling with the traumatic loss of Vulcan/his mom and is operating almost with a death wish, putting himself in harm's way quickly. Hinting at the end of Wrath of Khan (won't happen) and probably the volcano scene in the trailer.

There's a Section 31/Section 31 type element high in Starfleet acting like a shadow government. I'd put all the cash in the bank on them inadvertently putting the unnamed film antagonist into motion like Jason Bourne gone into epic revenge mode. Cumberbatch mentioned that his character wasn't entirely good or evil, and I'll bet that means he's got good reason for trashing Starfleet. Explains the "from within the organization" line from synopsis, too.

Still not sure who he is....but I'm definitely thinking it is NOT Khan or Mitchell. Could even be a character we know but are used to thinking of as a good guy.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That trailer looks amazing.

Cumberbatch is a great actor.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

From Hells heart I stab at thee, for hates sake I spit my last breath at thee. . .

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Comic sounds interesting, I might have to pick these up. I always enjoyed the Section 31 storylines in DS9.

9. toby

toby Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cumberbatch's character's identity has been revealed:

John Harrison??? Who???

source

[rquoter]

Paramount just released the first official still from Star Trek Into Darkness with a caption that seems to identify Benedict Cumberbatch's mystery villain as John Harrison. But -- and it's a pretty big "but" -- the name "John Harrison" is actually part of Star Trek backstage lore, and not really the name of any Trek villain. Besides the Starfleet technician Harrison played by Ron Veto, the name was used for several random, unnamed onscreen characters (including redshirts) in several episodes -- a placeholder. So, are we being messed with? Is it a case of Trekkie misdirection? Or is this a brand new Star Trek villain? Tor has a few theories that will interest and enlighten. (via Tor)

UPDATE: Movieline's Jen Yamato attended a press event for Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday and has some news on the "John Harrison" character. In case you really don't want to know, I'll leave the information at the link, which also contains some really interesting (and spoilery) theories about some original Star Trek source material that are well worth a read.

[/rquoter]

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I loved the first one and this one looks pretty tight...I never followed the original Star Trek or saw any of the older movies, but glad it got rebooted...

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

A buddy of mine had a decent part in the first Abram's "Star Trek" and was brought back for this one, too.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think the villan is
    Gary Mitchell

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Abrams, Orci, and Lindelof are NOT using Khan or Gary Mitchell or any other familiar bad guy (Garth, Charlie X, etc) in the film, but are happily fanning the flames of the above red herrings.

This is largely the same brain trust from LOST, who eventually delighted themselves by taking diehard fan teasing to never before seen heights. Lindelof in particular has taken to fan-teasing like a crack addiction - see Prometheus.

These guys love the concept of a good bad guy, or the misunderstood bad guy that wants to do good, or the good guy that goes off and does terrible things with good intentions. I'll bet that is what we're getting with Cumberbatch. Not Khan.

There is enough out there (official release information) that Cumberbatch is Starfleet. That alone should rule out Khan, that and it would be a massive retcon for him to be sporting an English accent. I wouldn't be surprised they originally planned on doing Khan but reversed course (see again, Prometheus scrubbing original plans for the Xenomorphs).

I think they're dropping all the Wrath of Khan lines, imagery, and even Carol Marcus for three reasons: (1) red herring; (2) Trekkie fans eat it up with a spoon; and, (3) setting things up for down the line

While he was Starfleet, I also don't think we're getting Gary Mitchell for a few reasons: (1) he's TOO powerful and doesn't need to get into physical fights; (2) they told his story in the comics (canon according to Orci) and killed him - he'd have to be resurrected; (3) they'd have to somehow retell the WNMHGB episode to give the backstory to the 97% of the audience that has no idea who he is and bloat the film

When they call him
    Harrison
    , I think they're being straight. I think they could be grabbing a recurring extra crew member from the Original Series (same name, different look) and giving him a massive new role.

I had mentioned before that in the comics (again, Orci has stated that they are using them to subtly set up the new film),
    Starfleet's shadowy NSA-type group reached out to Sulu to try and recruit him and have several ominous moments sprinkled throughout the series
    . My guess is that Cumberbatch was brought into that fold but goes rouge in the film and lashes back, most likely for good reasons.

I think we'll find that Peter Weller could be the bigger bad hidden in the background until the second half of the film.

Just my speculation and conjecture.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

A buddy of yours should give us some spoilers. No need to disclose his character or anything that could be traceable to him. Just the story.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I keep getting these e-mails about some new series that is being privately funded via donations called Star Trek: Renegades. Apparently, they have cast most of the roles with actual actors who were in older Star Trek-based series along with other known actors. And, they have raised $240,000 through donations to shoot this show. It's suppose to kick off soon or something. I'm not sure if it is a movie or what...but they have a website.

Anyone heard of this? Apparently, people aren't happy a ST series isn't on TV and so they decided to do something about it. I don't quite get how it all got off the ground. But, I'm surprised at this "movement".

Nothing to do with the movie obviously...but just wondering if anyone heard of this. I guess the new thing is if some studio won't make the show...then someone else will if the movement is big enough. People power!

Apparently, they have a trailer out (which I haven't watched). Go check out their site if interested: http://startrekrenegades.com .

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

9min preview 3D IMAX playing in front of The Hobbit at the following Houston locations

http://www.startrekmovie.com/imax/

AMC GULF POINTE 30 & IMAX
    EDWARDS HOUSTON MARQ*E 23 & IMAX
    SANTIKOS SILVERADO IMAX
    AMC FIRST COLONY 24 & IMAX

18. TheresTheDagger

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...

....or the one.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who else would he be?:confused:

20. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

[​IMG]

I lad, I lad.