1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Trek 2 (2013)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Dec 2, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Oh...damn...is Spock going to die again?

Please tell me they are not doing "Wrath of Khan" and then "Search for Spock" movies. Sigh.

Then, they will have to go find some humpback whales. "Admiral, there be whales here!" DOH!

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I don't think it'd be smart if that's what they are going for, Star Trek Nemesis kind of already did a retread of the same story with very little effect and fans have known the TNG characters a lot better than this incarnation.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

I just hope it doesn't have too much lens flare like the first one.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1) No way they kill Spock again and recreate the death scene. It'll be someone else.

2) I don't believe it's Kahn, the other rumor is that they're rebooting
    Gary Mitchell
    who had an interesting story in one of the first Original Series episodes. He could have a Kahn-esque revenge story in this timeline and would be a pretty terrifying foe to deal with. The new girl in the trailer has a decent resemblance to the female quest star in that same episode (actually two of them, both connected to him).

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I could write a detailed essay about why that would make absolutely no sense given the original story starring that character combined with the core idea behind the plot of the first movie, but to do that would send my nerd quotient through the roof.

Suffice to say, that makes absolutely no sense.

The Kahn angle is interesting as it appears he is taking it to Earth. Previously, he's always been out of his element, and playing from a stacked deck, trying to gain the upper hand. The idea of him having advantage is sufficiently different that it seems in line with the angle they took with the first film.

Assuming it is Kahn, my final review of the movie will hinge on whether we get one of these from Chris Pine:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wRnSnfiUI54#t=15s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#26 Ottomaton, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Damn, I love hearing the Cumberbatch voiceover. Can't wait to hear him as Smaug.

8. emjohn

Ultimately, I'd enjoy either take or a possible 3rd mystery door (he's neither one).

I am aware that a deleted/dropped easter egg that was going to at one point be buried in the credits of the first film was a shot of the Botany Bay
    drifting in space.

No issues going nerd in a Star Trek thread. I think the original episode more than left room for a return for revenge, as being buried by a pile of rocks was hardly a decisive death for someone that had essentially become Q-lite. On the flipside:
    -He'd be faaaar too powerful for them to deal with in the movie. Heroes ran into trouble when all of a sudden Peter and Sylar were demigods. You need to keep it in the sandbox.
    -Team Abrams have "directed" several old stories to be reimagined in this timeline with IDW, this story included. In it, he was more convincingly killed and shot into space in a torpedo tube (of course, that indirectly hints at Genesis, intentional or no).
    -It would be tough for them to do this story without wasting a lot of time recapping the character and previous events for the 97% of filmgoers that otherwise wouldn't know.

The trick with Khan would be...why would he want revenge on Kirk when they haven't encountered each other in this timeline before?

I did like the speculation/rumors of Khan being discovered by Klingons this time around.

I doubt JJ Abrams would bald faced lie flatly about Khan, though.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) They don't need Khan to want revenge on Kirk for the film to work. The film could be their first meeting. The whole timeline is different now. No reason to assume he's trying to get revenge on Kirk specifically, especially when he appears to be attacking Earth.

2) I'll still be disappointed if this is a Khan movie after Abrams promised no Khan.

10. emjohn

9 minute preview before The Hobbit

Official Synopsis (not leaked, but spoilorish)

I definitely believe that Abrams mined someone from the original series, though I still think Khan is a red herring. There's a fair number of candidates that could qualify, and it's possible even
    Gary Mitchell
    is another red herring.

Heck, they could even nerd-gasm us and tackle the Mirror Universe (black uniforms possibly explained). I don't think that's likely here, though.

11. 713

713 Member

Stars Wars is better.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Khan already had plenty of reason to want revenge, way before he ever encountered the Enterprise. He had already been imprisoned and banished from his homeworld of Earth long before the chance meeting with Kirk.

Therefore, it is entirely plausible that, if it IS Khan, he wants 'revenge', but against the government of Earth, the Federation, Starfleet, or whoever exactly it was who caused his downfall to begin with. Remember, he was a 'prince' on Earth before he was banished.

So it could be that the altered timeline somehow also allows Khan to find some way to gain power offworld and then return for revenge - Klingons being involved would probably be a really good way to do it.

Or Romulans, whoever.

Heck, one thing nobody has talked about at all, maybe they work the Organians into this one as well. That would be a nice unexpected twist, and a possible deus-ex kind of way to unexpectedly reach a resolution at the end of what might otherwise appear to be a hopeless situation..

Should be interesting, however they do whatever they do..

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's what I said. There's no need for Khan to be after Kirk for the film to work. The only reason that is required is if you want the film to be about him wanting revenge on Kirk. Otherwise, he doesn't need to want revenge on Kirk. lol

Perhaps it will be the Wrath of Kirk. Khan goes back home and does a lot of damage and Kirk chases around the universe to get HIS revenge. :cool:

14. Nero

Nero Member

And Khan can be all

KIIIIRRRRRRKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love reading about the up-coming flick (when in 2013 is it supposed to come out?), and a big thanks to everyone who's come up with info. Of course, I'll watch this on the day it comes out. I just hope there's a lot of originality to the story line. One of the hopeful aspects of the reboot being in another time line is simply the ability to come up with original story ideas. I'll be a bit bummed out if they simply "reboot" the old story lines from previous films. I was hoping for something more.

16. GRENDEL

Think it's a summer tentpole film for 2013.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BrHlQUXFzfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. emjohn

I'm leaning more towards this not being either of the 2 main rumored villains.

Non spoiler speculation
    Gary Mitchell wouldn't need guns or fist fights

Khan has been denied and the official synopsis pins it being "a one man weapon of mass destruction from within [Starfleet]

In the end, I don't know. Hoping for a cool flick.

19. GRENDEL

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

First one was surprisingly good.