1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Movie Questions II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have some questions about movies that I have viewed in the past:

1. In "The Color Purple" when Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) says "Everything you done to me, I already done to you." to Albert (Danny Glover), what exactly does that statement mean? Spielberg always has moments like this in his moves that I fail to understand.

2. Also, what does the color purple signify in that movie, if anything?

3. What was with those underground people on the movie "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"?

4. Has anybody figured out how you would use the three seashells that mentioned in "Demolition Man"?

5. How exactly did Brett "f*ck" Marsellus Wallace in "Pulp Fiction"? I mean what did he do?

6. Also, why did Vincent Vega and Butch Coolidge dislike each other?

7. In "National Lampoon's Vacation" Clark Griswald refused to pay for having his car repaired but then when the man flashed a badge he quickly complied, why?

8. In the movie "School Ties" why were people so resentful towards Jews? I mean we saved millions of Jewish people during WWII and I believe the movie was set in the 50's so was there so sort of backlash after the war against Jews?

9. Also when David went to temple and the Chaplain caught him and said "Was it worth breaking tradition over a game" and David responded with "Your tradition or mine sir?" What traditions are they talking about?

10. I also got from "Schools Ties" that the Chaplain disliked David as well, if I am right then why?

11. What was with the "28 Days Later" ending (the first one)?

12. This is really a business question but in the movies "Boomerang" and "Spider-Man" I notice that two people, Lady Eloise in "Boomerang" and Norman Osborne in "Spider-Man" both have major companies named after them yet they really have no power because Osborne was dismissed from his company and that fact is stated about Lady Eloise in "Boomerang". How can somebody start a company name it after themselves but end up powerless?

These are all the questions I have right now and I know some may be stupid or common sense but any answers would be appreciated, I may have more questions later. Thanks.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i may be able to help with these:

5. he was holding on to Marcellus' "package" and didn't give it back...that's how i understand it ...

6. good question...it was like they knew each other in that scene in the bar...of course, butch ends up killing vincent...but you know that, i'm sure.

7. clark says, "ok..how much will it be?" the guy replies, "How much have you got." clark says, "how does the sheriff feel about your business practices." the guy pulls out his badge...he's the sheriff...thus, clark is paying whatever the guy wants. no way out.

12. once you empower a board of directors...they can remove your happy ass. :)

i bill by the hour. :)

3. red

red Contributing Member

8. In the movie "School Ties" why were people so resentful towards Jews? I mean we saved millions of Jewish people during WWII and I believe the movie was set in the 50's so was there so sort of backlash after the war against Jews?

he was a jew attending a privite catholic school. he was "different"

9. Also when David went to temple and the Chaplain caught him and said "Was it worth breaking tradition over a game" and David responded with "Your tradition or mine sir?" What traditions are they talking about?

tradition to where he was supposed to be doing whatever he was supposed to be doing there at the place of worship during daylight hours.

4. Lil Pun

I realize that he was different but they hated Jews and said bad things about them before they ever knew David was a Jew so why did they hate them, what were the reasons?

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book out of curiosity. (anyone else think that was one weird book?) There was some passage about appreciating beauty in life, in general, including the color purple. The quote - I'm not entirely sure. I just didn't "get" whatever you're supposed to get from that book.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

#6 A-Train, Sep 11, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

3. They were radiated people, like mutants. They worshiped the bomb...

4. You could do the seashells, it would be really scratchy.

5. Seemed like Brett wasn't holding up to his deal and was trying to ripoff Marcellus, or not meet his deadline.

6. Just one of those things, instead of love at first sight, it was hate at first sight. It was a great scene. "I'm not your pal beluka." "My name is Paul, this is between y'all.

7. That mechanic was the local sheriff and many other town officials in one, so Clark had no choice. "I just paid 400$ for a set of bald tires".

8. I recall anti-semitism being fairly commonplace back then. If you watch "Band of Brothers" there is a scene on the troop transport boats over to Europe where a Jewish guy hears a jewish slur and starts fighting with the guy. These guys were going over there to fight Hitler, I don't think they thought they were going to free the Jews... It's just typical racism and stupid people.

#7 Sonny, Sep 11, 2003
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anti-Semitism was not uncommon at the time, even in the US. It was probably particularly bad in the 50s because the rise of Nazism created a wave of Jewish immigration. There is a good movie called Focus that deals with anti-Semitism is New York in the 50s. The protagonist is mistaken for a Jew but cannot shake his own anti-Semitism despite feeling the persecution first-hand.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is an interesting point I have never thought of. based on the timeline, it makes sense that if Vincent pissed Butch off in the bar, Butch could have keyed his car. remember, the scenes of Brett and flock of seagulls, shooting Marvin in the face,jimmy and the wolf, and the coffee shop all take place over one morning. then Jules and Vincent head to Mr. Wallace's bar. in those scenes, Vincent tells about his assignment to take out Mia Wallace. before he goes to Mia Wallaces, he stops by Mitch's to score some of the madman heroin, and tells Mitch about how someone keyed his Malibu. Butch could have keyed his car after the scene in Mr. Wallace's bar.

TRADE ACCEPTED!

thanks for pointing that out A-Train, you learn something new everyday!

#9 across110thstreet, Sep 11, 2003
  10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Go watch the movie The Last American Virgin. There are so many things in that movie that make no sense. (It's so bad it's good)

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Re: Anti-semitism and the 50's.

Contrary to popular myth, anti-smitism was not a German issue, or a Nazi issue, but almost a global one. The Nazi 'Final Solution' was just the most extreme single example in a long standing pattern of prejudice visited on the Jews since the Romans first took issue with them.

There was a period of a rise in anti-Semitism in the 50s because, ironically, it was assosciated with Communism. So Jews were hated as being overly materialistic and not materialistic at the same time.

But, in addition, with specific reference to the film in question, to this day, but certainly back then, many of the well trodden corridors of power were often littered with anti-various things, Jews, blacks, and Catholics being high on the hit lists for many organizations assosciated with American Old Boys Networks, like the Masons, the KK, John Birch, etc. This school would have been reflecting all three of these tendencies.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If you want a reference point about anti-semitism back then, watch Gentleman's Agreement starring Gregory Peck.

13. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Hah... this question and all of its replies were confusing me for so long... I thought "How could you not know 'What he did'... are you like 12 or something?"

Then I remembered the redneck's name was Zed... not Brett... and you were talking about the guys in the apartment, not "THAT" scene... :p

14. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

That sounds like a good movie. Is it a recent release?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pulp Fiction is such a cool flick. I think your explanation pretty much holds up, 110thstreet. One "key" for me is how totally fried and pissed off Vincent is by that time and how pissed off Butch is, although you have to figure that Butch doesn't stay TOO pissed off, considering what he does in the fight. It's one of a whole series of great scenes in a great movie.

One of the most groovy things to do, which I'm sure some of you have, is to use the DVD (there is an awesome "directors" disc that has remastered sound and looks incredible) to watch the flick in the right time sequence. It's a trip!

16. rocketfish

rocketfish Member

ok, new question.

Q - What the hell was the go with Mulholland Drive?

anyone who can answer that has my respect

17. Lil Pun

No, it came out around 1992 but it has some big name stars who were not really big name stars at the time, here's a list:

Brendan Fraser
    Matt Damon
    Chris O'Donnell
    Randall Batinkoff
    Andrew Lowery
    Cole Hauser
    Ben Affleck
    Anthony Rapp

18. rudager

rudager Member

It's a reference to Kelvin Cato's Navigator.

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

To help a bit with the whole Pulp Fiction question there is apparantly clarification on the SE DVD that came out when they rereleased all Quentin's movies last year/earlier this year. They cut a scene they showed Butch pulling into the bar's near empty parking lot to talk to Marcellus. Then Vincent pulls in RIGHT next to him rather than anywhere else in the parking lot for reasons unknown. Butch walks out and sees Vincent's car and knows it's his (he's the only other one to come in while Butch was there) and smiles. They cut away but you then hear Vincent yelling to his dealer about how his car got keyed.

So basically, A-Train's right and I just gave a longwinded explanation.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is a killer DVD. Like I said earlier, the picture and the sound, especially, are really improved. You hear things you didn't notice before.