1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] PROMETHEUS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cowboy_Bebop, Nov 26, 2011.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You should watch Alien, Aliens ans Aliens 3. Skip Alien Resurrection and AVP.

2. Nero

Nero Member

You have not watched Aliens? ?????

????????????

You need to watch Aliens right NOW, whether or not Prometheus is coming out.

Now, I say, NOW!

3. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

yeah, but as far as prometheus is concerned, absolutely watch the first one (Alien)

4. Nero

Nero Member

Errr... is it really necessary to advise watching Alien3?

I would almost think it would be better to just watch Alien and Aliens and then pretend none of the others ever happened. Personally, I have very effectively purged Alien3 from my memory banks, and never saw any of those others anyway.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

To the original question:
    It's been made crystal clear that
    a) this is not going to be a direct tie in prequel to Alien. Ridley was originally going that route, but Lindelof convinced him to unhitch the wagon (partially). As in, the ending of this movie does not set the stage for the opening of Alien.

b) this is directly tied to the beginning of Alien and takes place in the same universe.

-->the Aliens (Xenomorphs) are NOT going to be running around in Prometheus.

You should watch Alien before this. Aliens wouldn't be necessary, but the two movies tell one story, so watch it anyway and live a happier life.

Alien 3 isn't bad, but it falls down a flight of stairs compared to the first two. It has its moments, but ultimately brought nothing to the table. Alien Resurrection killed the franchise. AVP 1&2 are fine if you liked Freddy vs Jason. The Dark Horse Comics are far more worthwhile.

1 person likes this.
  6. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

WHY??

Alien 3, especially the extended version, is a fine fvkking sci-fi flick.

7. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

and don't fault the CG in Alien 3...everyone knows that sucked... easy to look past.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Sorry bro, Alien 3 is non-cannon for me. Alien, Aliens and Predator. All other movies from these franchises are terrible except maybe Predators.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Agree...very underrated.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It a fine freaking art film.

11. Nero

Nero Member

I actually don't have much of a problem with the movie in and of itself. I just think it should have been made as a stand-alone sci-fi horror movie outside the Aliens universe, it would have been better that way. There was nothing about that movie which particularly required it to be set there, and with very few changes it could have stood on its own and instead of being generally reviled, it would probably be well liked.

But it so totally shat upon the movie before it that it is an unforgivable affront to the greatness that was Aliens.

And as such, I shun it, disown it, and will probably never watch it again.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Killing off Hicks and Newt just undercut pretty much all of Aliens emotional connection, hard to recover from that right from the start.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wait, Aliens aren't going to be involved in Prometheus?

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Alien3 isn't awful, but it suffered greatly from studio meddling, WB-style. Numerous story ideas and directors brought to the table and scrapped. Killing off Hicks and Newt (and essentially Bishop) in a hasty write out manner was cheap and narrow minded (and pissed off James Cameron to high heaven). At one point, they were going to do a two-part sequel with Hicks leading in Alien 3 with Ripley returning as a co-lead in 4. A later treatment had the prison doubling for Nazi-style Alien experiments (revisited in 4 with the clone lab). Either direction would have been bigger and cooler than the very limited plot they went with.

The final script and director (brought off the street) were absolutely rushed and so was the filming.

Yes and no, mainly no (involvement). And that's what's going to raise this film up a notch in the universe. It is bucking what had become a predictable, sad formula in the franchise. It's touching on their origins (but is not their origin story). They aren't going to bust loose and chase around the crew.

15. aghast

aghast Member

Even David Fincher disavowed Alien 3, and he directed it.

IMDB:[rquoter]First-time director David Fincher disowned the film, citing constant studio interference and actually walked out of production before editing began. [/rquoter]
    Alien 3 is serviceable, but it's not the masterpiece that Alien is, and it's not the greatest action movie ever made (Aliens), either.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just imagine if George Lucas or Steven Spielberg directed an alien film.

I'm thinking the result would not be good. Think Han Solo having sex with a female Wookie while being raped by a velociraptor. Disgusting. :grin:

17. jae713

jae713 Member

I'm re-watching all three Alien flicks as we speak. I watched Aliens last night( gave me nightmares, my wife woke me up last night saying that I was screaming "help". LOL true story. I'm watching Alien as I'm typing this. And I'll probably watch 3 tomorrow. I'ts been a long time since I've watched any of these. I forgot how great these movies are.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Hope you are watching the bluray releases, they look amazing, 1 and 2 at least.

19. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I thought someone would cite this...

Alright, all things considered, especially how much it's shat upon, Alien 3 is solid. I'm sick of James Cameron and his dated 3 hour action epics. They're good (dialogue is crap) and fun but that's it. 'Alien' wasn't "fun"... that's not why I liked it, or Alien 3. Newt and Hicks and all that manufactured James Cameron sappy bull**** can kiss my ass. So the "emotional connection" I could not really care less about. Aliens was a different movie made by different people....every single movie in the franchise was, until now (been waiting for something like Prometheus since I was 13)

I appreciate the mostly British cast and this guy:
    "You don't wanna know me lady... I'm a murder and a rapist of women."
    [​IMG]

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Man, that looks like the greatest movie of all time.