1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] PROMETHEUS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cowboy_Bebop, Nov 26, 2011.

1. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

So..the

big alien pilot thing/space jockey

in the first alien movie/canon, is like an antagonist in this movie?

[​IMG]

2. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I have watched the trailer over 10 times and my goodness, it just so intense! Visually so freaking stunning. Psychologically that last 30 seconds was cut and edited in a way that was meant to suffocate and making you feeling unease/panicky was pretty effective. One of the best put together trailer I have seen in recent memory. Now hoping Lindelof doesn't screw this one up and idiot FOX's Rothman doesn't screw this one over.

Here's a cool Weyland Corp TimeLine.

Here's the Q&A with Ridley and Lindelof.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VTwVoIapW-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Partially yes but there might be more to it. Don't click on the spoiler if you don't want to know anymore about it.

The Space Jockey is said to be an advance alien in a biological suit.

Space Jockey outside the suit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

But the dimensions don't match. He doesn't seem big enough when put against the original in Alien.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I think one of the crew must have gotten infected and evolve into a Space Jockey race of some sort or could it be a human in a biomechanical suit in the scene where its standing over Elizabeth Shaw? But the real Space Jockey that is standing in that room is huge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Here's the Prometheus International Trailer - UK. Not sure why they even bother releasing this one. Pretty weak compare to the other one.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a9jRaa4Wkbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I liked the international trailer, just for peaks and screens we haven't seen before.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm still psyched about this movie, but I feel like the preview basically gave away the entire plot.

10. TheresTheDagger

Great interview.

The question that the guy asks at 20:43 was a profound one. I am more and more intrigued by the movie.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Very excited for this movie - moreso than the other summer blockbusters (Avengers, Batman, etc).

I'm going to be liberal with my use of spoilers, even if most of what I'm going to say is (informed) speculation.

The movie's main thematic subplot
    I love the major theme of playing god
    The juxtaposition of the Weyland company's near-human David vs the possible revelation that Aliens/Space Jockeys blur the line between a bioengineered being and a true species.

Space Jockey
    It's crystal clear that we're going to see the origin of the Derelict and Space Jockey from the original. It looks a lot like the bearded crew member gets infected and morphs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ....but at most, there guys are morphing into Space Jockeys, not Xenomorphs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The "eggs" are also different - canisters with glyphs instead of fully biological eggs.
    [​IMG]
    BUT - there's enough resemblance that makes them look like there's still a close connection.
    [​IMG]

Plus - Alien lets us know that Space Jockey was infected with a chestbuster - so they've got to show up somehow.

Are they connected to the freaky squid that they C-section out of Shaw? Did sex with a semi-infected crewmember go Species on us?

Did the Xenomorphs side-evolve somehow? Or are there different canisters that contain them, too?

I also wonder if the David android goes rouge

Space Jockey 2 - size matters?
    I think there could be modest liberties being taken, the helmet at least does not seem to be as large...though the original doesn't seem that gigantic compared to humans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

That old guy is
    Peter Weyland
    I'm pretty sure. I just hope they can pull this off as a smart sci-fi tackling and answering origin of mankind and such in this ALIEN Universe.

13. emjohn

Thinking a little more about the movie...

They gave away the ending!
    I believe less and less that the Prometheus ramming the bomber is the film's climax - I think it may be more akin to the shuttlecraft crashing in Aliens 2. We see Shaw (and Theron?) running from it as it hits ground - how is that an ending? I suspect there's more.

David
    I'm also suspecting more and more that he's going to become a major villain. He asks "how far would you be willing to go to get your answers"...what if he's referring to himself? What if he's wondering how blurred the line is between bioengineered creations like himself (and what they find in the canisters) and "real" people? Basically, a dark Pinocchio. Does he decide to turn the mission and crew into a personal science experiment?

It's an Invitation
    It's a Trap!
    -->But why leave the map for cavemen instead of just wiping them out?
    I'm wondering if they seeded the map out all over the galaxy and waited for civilizations to catch up. You couldn't go to the planet with out first developing spacefaring tech. Once you did, you could join the empire.

Only now, the empire has died out. "A king has his reign...and then he dies. It is inevitable."

So something goes wrong and they accidently trigger the bombing run. Or someone intentionally does so.

Still can't fully wrap my head around it.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Well, that last bit is almost straight out of Mass Effect, so I don't know if that is just sort of imprinted on our minds, or if it may actually be true to the point that it influenced Ridley Scott & Co, or if it is just totally wrong, but it seems natural to think so because it fits the template established by the similarly-themed Mass Effect.

Of, if Scott even has any idea what Mass Effect is LOL (but I bet he does)

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The more I see this trailer in theatre, the more excited I am to see this movie. I may just end up watching this in full IMAX at the Marq. It just looks so visually stunning.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good call.

17. emjohn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TpLH9ocVxAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am convinced that David
    is inspired to play god, and is experimenting on the crew with the Alien goo-seed. I think he is intentionally locking Shaw into a medpod with one of the proto-facehugger squids to try and impregnate her. I definitely think part 2 of the movie ends with the Space Jockey crash and part 3 is the crew vs <strike>HAL</strike> David

18. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

i honestly don't think i've been this giddy for a new release in over 10 years...

19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I need to watch Aliens again!

The movie looks amazing. This year is gonna be EPIC for movies.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Question: Do I need to watch Aliens before watching this?