1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] PROMETHEUS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cowboy_Bebop, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That's pretty cool. Loved the grand idea of the movie but felt it could have been better. Well at least it got me to read 12th planet by Sitchin, a pretty interesting piece of work that ties all of mankind's origins to extraterrestrial beings.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Her inability to run sideways caused her to die in the first one so probably not.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

because it was filled with the most idiotic characters ever and a ton of plot holes.

How does the map guy...get lost? And the other dude, who is scared of everything at the beginning, all of a sudden wants to play with the dangerous looking snake thing.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Plot was botched up and down, the surprise reveals were pointless, the acting was weak in a lot of spots, lots of nonsensical scenes...

Entertaining movie, but the final script, actors and overall plot made it fall well short of the space epic it was supposed to be. Not even interested in a sequel honestly.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was ok . . but not rewatchable like the Aliens movies

Rocket River

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I just picked this movie up at Best buy on Blu Ray for $5!

7. Nero

Nero Member

No refunds or exchange once you have opened it!

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I love this movie and everything about it, just because ridley was trying to start the action by using the two useless characters as bait does not mean the whole movie stunk.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, it was very disappointing considering the Aliens tie-in, but overall, an entertaining and interesting movie. The type of genuine sci-fi movie that just isn't all that common right now.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe the Aliens tie in set the bar too high

Rocket River

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

No matter how you try to approach it's failures... there's no excuse for having incompetent/idiotic "scientists" in a sci-fi movie.... worse, if they're incompetent/idiotic as a plot device...

I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but I doubt making scientists dumb is common practice in sci-fi filmmaking...

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Common device in horror movies. Alien was a horror movie. Directed by the same guy that did Prometheus.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Maybe so but they weren't scientists in Alien for the most part, and they also were not as stupid as the "scientists" in Prometheus.

I liked it overall, but with a score of like 60% cool, 40% ridiculously stupid.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Alien and Aliens are classics
    Even Aliens 4 was a bit fun

The Aliens v Predators movies. . .were meh
    The one was meh

Rocket River

15. SunsRocketsfan

In Aliens they were thugs, mercenaries or guys who were pretty physical.. they had common sense survival skills... scientists are smart in their respective fields but a lot of them lack common sense outside their studies.. say like running sideways.. or recognizing a vagina penis looking creature is potentially dangerous...

anyways i thought the movie was okay.. wasn't horrible. wasn't a classic. it was entertaining and that's all i can ask for in a movie.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Agreed, but a scientist, as was pointed out, should have been more cautious and known not to remove his helmet in that situation. I definitely felt like the zoologist or whatever he was acted out of character, not showing an alien life form proper respect. That wouldn't seem like common sense, he should have known because of what he'd studied, too. Not believable.

Really I just thought the male scientist wasn't believable almost throughout the movie. I don't know if it was the dialog or the way he delivered it, but I often found myself thinking "This guy doesn't fit the part in a way I find believable".

There was quite a bit about the movie that I found not believable, but I still liked it overall.

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Mind I ask, if there was no dumb scientists initiating anything then how would the action start? Also the guy who took off his helmet was trying to show that he is 100 into the exploration and is a believer yada yada (look at when David was talking to him at the pool table)

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's it! I'm calling my pal Ridley up to tell him to cancel the sequel because his characters are doing dumb things that real scientists wouldn't normally do.

NO FILM FOR YOU! NEXT!

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That would be a stand-up move. Props.

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member