1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Marvel's Ant-Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 3, 2013.

1. magman

magman Member

I can't stop thinking about it, the visuals of his super power looks awesome in action. This is top 2-3 MCU movie for me. Behind maybe TWS and Iron Man.

Thinking about it, the tone of the movie is very much like the first Iron Man.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I was already planning on seeing it tomorrow, despite the meh reviews it was getting. Glad it is getting more positive reviews.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You're saying this is better than Guardians? I find that hard to believe.

78% critic 91% audience on RT isn't meh.

4. magman

magman Member

I would put Ant-Man right there with Guardians. I think it was funnier than gotg. Let's just say that Ant-Man is MCU top tier to me.

5. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

7:30pm at Silverado, then off to record review podcast after. I hope its good, im blah about it tbh, I wouldnt mind seeing some cool old school honey i shrunk the kids style filming though.

I like the actors, just hard to get behind the concept for me. Its like micro machines version of iron man, which got old after iron man 4 (avengers 2).

6. magman

magman Member

Also forgot to mention, I like the fact that it was 16:9 ratio, should look nice on bluray on my TV in a few months.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I have heard a lot of people comparing it favorably to the original Iron Man. James Gunn (GotG's director) said it was his favorite since the aforementioned as well. I'm even more excited to see it now that the populous is seemingly agreeing. I have always like Rudd, Lilly, and I think Pena is really underrated. He always plays the same guy really, and it's hilarious every time.

You're definitely the only person I've heard say that Age of Ultron was basically an Iron Man movie. Yeah the plot largely involved him, but I thought most of the characters got equivalent screen time. Especially Hawkeye, which while I really like Jeremy Renner -- I don't think he does the comedic aspects of Hawkeye too well. Which is odd for someone whose first movie was:

(spoilered for massiveness...)

[​IMG]

#167 seclusion, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That is what it is now, but last week when I looked the RT score was in the low 70s.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, it did drop then go back up. That was odd.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think it's high time to accept the fact that everything Marvel comes out with, will be golden. I'm not sure how, but they figured something out. The first Iron Man was great, and then the movies between that and Avengers were meh. Between that and Winter Soldier were meh. But everything since Winter Soldier has been solid, even if Ultron wasn't as good as the first Avengers.

Now we get Civil War next, which I predict will be the best MCU movie yet, and then we get to see Cumberbatch be Doctor Strange, GotG 2 and a new Spiderman movie. All in a row.

Honestly, I think the first movie they'll completely screw up is Spider-Man, but I've been wrong about Marvel before.

Agreed with everything you said.

I'll also add that, although the Marvel villain once again falls into the obligatory "Marvel villain is lame" category, Stoll does a good job, nonetheless. In fact, everyone is perfectly cast.

To be honest (and imo), this movie distances itself from what defines a machine, completely. This movie is full of heart. Rudd is charming, Pena is a scene stealer with his comedics, Douglas is stern and Lilly has great chemistry with everybody. Nothing mechanical about anyone's performances.

I think you'll like it. A lot.

11. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Age of Ultron reminded me a lot of Iron man 3, i guess its the "clone wars" aspect where the bad guy was just another Tony Stark creation, that spawned more and more of them. I actually like Renner but his story felt like an after thought in AoU, It would be hard to really gain the development on a character like him in film when you have so many other prevalent characters. Thor is a 'god', Hulk is well hulk, Scarlet Johansen in leather...., Iron man, then Hawkeye has a bow and arrow. If they were to convey his comedic side a little more I think his character would be more likable.

I hope so, this thread has given me hope, thanks guys, lol.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

This movie was awesome.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Something about Paul Rudd. I just don't know man, i prefer him in smaller/arthouse type roles, you know? Ant-man, I don't know man, it just doesn't go hard enough. When I think Marvel Universe I want to see the big kahuna of the marvel universe. I want to see stakes, consequences, cities being crushed, the world ending. Is Ant-Man a comedy? With Paul Rudd I guess this is supposed to be a comedy?

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i agree. enjoyed it more than any other marvel movie after the first avengers flick. clever and well placed humor without being childish. wasn't forced like dance scenes as a distraction to save a galaxy, "language!", the unfunny pseudo mandarin, etc.

9.5/10

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Haven't seen it, but maybe they add a little romcom with Jennifer Aniston or Leslie Mann in it?

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm glad to see this movie is doing better than I thought it would. Will see. I thought the Paul Rudd humor in the trailer was forcefully bad, but will give it a chance.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is the most grounded Marvel movie to date. No skyscrapers coming down, nothing being blasted out of the sky - this is as "arthouse" as Marvel is going to get, which suited Rudd perfectly.

The whole "the world is, yet again, at risk for destruction" is getting juuuust a bit stale for me, in a superhero movie, so I'm glad everything was on a smaller scale...although:

The whole "Pym Particles to Hydra" would have been basically world ending, in and of itself. The buyer guy even stole the yellow "Cross Particles" at the end, so I'm guessing that's AM2's storyline. Getting that stuff back."

I hope Douglas reprises his Pym role. He definitely brought a serious side / acting chops to a movie that had a comedy actor as its lead.

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Could Wright/Pegg have done more than Reed/McKay/Rudd?

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Thought the movie was a lot of fun. It wasn't a top 5 marvel movie (just outside of it), but it was far from the flop people made it seem like it would be. Some of the fight scenes were pretty amazing vfx wise. The end credit scenes were great.

20. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Top 5 in the cinematic universe to me for sure. Just along TWS, GOTG, Avengers, and Ironman.

AFTER CREDITS SPOILERS:
    For those who stayed and watched the 2 after credit scenes, is anyone else excited to see Antman and Captain team up against Ironman? And the inclusion of Wasp in Civil War? Ugh. So excited for the marvel movies next year. Here's to hoping Fantastic 4 doesn't flop.