1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. Valdez, Jul 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I had a chance to see the preview to this last Wednesday and just want to encourage any Cohen fans out there to see this movie!

This movie got fairly good reviews, a few people hated it. I think that if you know you don't like his music, or if you are completely unfamiliar with it, it would be hard to enjoy this. Mostly this is a two hour concert of other people reinterpreting Cohen's work interspersed with some fairly interesting and humourous interviews with Cohen and some of his fans (a lot of Bono).

If you don't know any of his songs you might want to listen to a few of them before going. Otherwise you may be wondering how something so country, or "Anthony" or neo-punk, etc. could possibly have so much appeal.

Enjoy!

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really want to see it, but will probably wait for the DVD, since i've got better sound at home than most theaters this is likely to be shown in. is jennifer warnes in the movie? her Famous Blue Raincoat is perhaps the best "Leonard Cohen" disc yet!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll have to see it. Thanks for the heads-up, Mrs. JV! :)

I'll never forget seeing Cohen in the late '60's in Austin. He was there to play at a club (can't remember which one, maybe the Vulcan Gas Company), and I was in Austin spending the weekend with 3 girlfriends of mine. They were sharing a little cottage on the side of Castle Hill, one only reached by concrete stairs coming up from Baylor Street. There were several small places just like it scattered around the side of the hill, and they appeared to have been built in the '30's.

Anyway, someone had invited Cohen to visit at one of those pads, and a couple of dozen of us ended up sitting around on the grass in the evening, passing things around, while he played his guitar, sang and talked to us all. To say it was magical wouldn't be an exaggeration. Good to see there's another fan of his here. :cool:

4. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

It seems I'm the only Cohen fan I've met who has never had an opportunity to see him live! One guy I met in Chicago went to school with his kids in Paris. Apparently he may go on tour again soon.

5. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Jennifer Warnes isn't in this. I hadn't heard of most of the other musicians besides Bono and Nick Cave (who did a great job!)

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a great movie. Unfortunately for me, my wife already saw it. Now, I've got no one to go with me. :(

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I would like to see this but I am going to probably wait on the DVD. I'm actually listening to Cohen now (his album, "Ten New Songs").

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

isnt it out on DVD already?

or are they still doing a limited release?