1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 2, 2013.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

this movie is going to make billions. its turning into the male version of the titanic.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Has to catch Avatar first . . . it is by far a VASTLY SUPERIOR movie to Avatar.

Rocket River

3. VanityHalfBlack

Dammit, am I the only one that didn't get the black light/Pollock reference? I'm such an idiot, damn!!!!

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not so much. I knew about the biographical movie so that later references in media made sense to me. Would the character actually have soaked up info about the artist and his work at such a young age, before being whisked off into outer space? That might be another story, but it was still funny.

I did have to explain the reference to my wife. She's from Brazil so it went right over her head. But it keeps things fun; she has to explain a few of her own cultural references to me.

5. Nero

Nero Member

It was really more of a CSI joke than a Pollock joke. hehehehe

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Saw this movie for the second time. Didn't get old nor less exciting the second time around.

Even caught some things that I didn't hear, in the first viewthrough, which was nice.

I will argue that the 2D version for me had a low volume, which is the theater's fault. After seeing something in IMAX, it's hard to view it in other variations lol.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah I saw this the 2nd time at the IMAX, maybe because my vision sucks but not really that much of a difference except for the massive screen. The 3D element really didn't struck out to me as much as it did when I watched it in 2D.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Most definitely agree. A far more original plot, far better acting, excellent direction. Avatar being essentially alien Native Americans on another world, far, far away, threatened by the evil Corporate Empire. That's been done to death. Technically, Avatar is a triumph. The best 3D flick I've seen to date, with amazing CGI. However, Galaxy is no slouch when it comes to CGI. After a while, you really forget that that's a big freakin' raccoon from a child's nightmare doing all that action stuff and crackin' you up at the same time. Also, I found the relatively muted 3D preferable to lousy "blown up" 3D that's constantly throwing things at your face, "because we can!"

Just a wonderful SF flick. I'm going to see it again. My daughter is starting college this Fall, and her major is computer science with the focus on 3D CGI. She wants to be one of those dozens of names at the end of a film scrolling by, or she might end up in games. Blows me away.

As the Wicked Witch of the West said, "Oh, what a world! What a world!"

9. thejav

thejav Member

Didnt think a movie would be better than captain america 2..but this was..great movie..better than avengers also..

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Great movie! Really enjoyed it.

11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Caught the very last showing of it due to work and didn't think I would really like it from the previews.

I went due to word of mouth and I have to say, this might be one of the best, if not the best Marvel movie I've seen.

It was funny, had sad moments, action, great special effects and visuals; as well as great music. Honestly I think it's a classic and I can only think of the Dark Knight being better than it.

Never even heard of the comic as a kid and was surprised how good it turned out to be.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Great movie. Better than The Avengers.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Looking forward to seeing it.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

After watching it again this past weekend I have to agree, 2nd viewing of the Avengers didn't hold up nearly as well as this did.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed. The best moments in the Avengers may beat out the best moments in GotG, but overall, I think GotG was a better movie.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All I remember from Avengers are the best moments from that movie. That sequence leading up to four avengers taking down that flying serpent is one of the greatest sets of execution I've seen for a comic book to film adaptation.

GotG is good, but I think the hype is building it way up. I'd say it's a great haul if they pull in ~300 million domestic, though 250 is more realistic and still impressive, like top 10 in the year.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This movie was awesome. My wife didn't want to see a comic book movie going in but she also ended up liking it. Really solid movie.

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

One of the things that made it enjoyable for me was the fact I knew nothing of the comic. The other movies there would be points where i'd go, that's different or that's not right, but with this one I was enjoying it for the first time as a new movie. It was a lot more humorous than I expected and I thought Chris Pratt killed it. Zoe and Amy Pond were annoying. Great voice acting by Bradley. They found a way to make Bautista's dry acting work and Vin Diesel deserves an academy award :p. I wasn't expecting that at all. Only casting I had a WTF with was John C Reilly?

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Really enjoyed it. Nice mix of action and comedy. Definitely gonna have to see it again to better wrap my head around it. Beginning and ending scenes were definite tearjerker moments. And Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel were awesome in their parts. Michael Rooker excellent as always. Everyone else was just average though, and I felt some of the other emotional moments were rushed and a bit forced. Ronan started off as an intimidating, bad-ass villain but then devolved to a somewhat annoying and lame character. So all in all, great movie but doesn't quite reach Avengers level for me. And Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is still the best movie of the Summer.

Favorite moment
    baby Groot!

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In this year's box office, 250 million would almost be first place. No real breakaway barnburner hits this year.

Of course that'll change with Mockingjay, Interstellar, and The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies.