1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune: Part Two

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 3, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was going to post the same thing. Movie was quite good. I liked part I at least equally though. I liked some of the individual scenes better in part 1. The box scene. Most of the fat blob guy scenes were great. shrug

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

has rapparot gone nutso?

B-Bob likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Going this afternoon and looking forward to it. If'n I drink my pint too quickly during the trailers, at what scene should an old man go the loo?

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'd probably say during the Paul/Chani relationship montage after the first big action sequence....

B-Bob and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Bingo.

Because if you "break the seal" early, you could miss Javier Bardem's religious zealotry ("it's a sign!"), which is worth a few smiles.

When you see Paul and Chani sitting on a sand dune and/or her showing him how to crabwalk Fremen-style, go piss.

ROCKSS, GRENDEL and B-Bob like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  7. B-Bob

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So this is 10,000 years before the first book? Is it basically following the Butlerian Jihad? Or right after it? I'm trying to remember the timeline of those key events mentioned in the books.

9. B-Bob

Man, y'all are hilarious -- this scene is like 25 minutes into the 3-hour movie. :D My bladder isn't that compromised.
    Anyway, I took zero breaks and really enjoyed the movie, as a spectacle and something that was pretty true to the book overall.
    Javier Bardem stole the show from my perspective, and Walken had nothing to work with.

Agree overall with the 4.2 / 5.0 rating approximately. Sometimes hewing so close to source material doesn't make the most moving or dramatic movie, but in the end, they sold the transition of Paul really well I thought, and the action set-pieces were excellent.

I couldn't pick up some of the bits of dialogue in the 70mm version I watched, but maybe that was just me.

GRENDEL and ROCKSS like this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Your bladder isn't that compromised?! Mine is! I took like 3-4 breaks in the movie, haha.

BamBam and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

Well, I did not say I didn't suffer a little bit.

IBTL likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Haha. Of course I was drinking soda and water like a fool during the movie, so part of my agony was self-induced.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, I was going to suggest taking a urine bag, but then decided against it.

Christopher Walken must have had a few scenes wind up on the cutting room floor. To be honest, Jose Ferrer from the original came across more badass. Why hire Walken if you give him so little to do?

Paul Muad-dib Atreides: "Abdicate your throne, homeboy."
    Emperor: "Guess what? I've got a fever. And the only prescription........is more cowbell."

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  14. B-Bob

Agree on Walken. I've never seen him look worse, honestly. I guess the point (from the book?) was the Emperor was kinda past his prime. Daughter character worked well, and I liked using her journal entries a la the novel.

On urine bag, that's a great idea. A classic for y'all, and relevant to seeing today's mega-movies.

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Unfortunately, that's the only portion that I could think of that's probably the least important....

B-Bob likes this.
  16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think we were supposed to get that at one time the Emperor was a badass and feared across the galaxy. But he is now old and works more off reputation than anything. I was a little disappointed that they put almost all his dialogue into the handful of trailers, so going into it I was expecting much more. Oh well, I really enjoyed pretty much every other character. Sedoux was especially good as Lady Fenring in very limited screentime.

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I gots this question ... wrt the Paul Atreides vs. Feyd-Rautha ending fight.

Feyd-Rautha certainly trains hard but most of his "real" fights are against drugged out opponents. In the book, he also cheats in the final fight with a hidden poisoned dragger.

Paul also trains hard. If that was the end of the story wrt his fight training, the ending fight should be roughly equal at worst (since Paul does not depend on cheating to win).

But Paul has also trained with the Bene Gesserit and should have experience with the Weirding Way. As an aside, it was never clear to me if the Weirding Way made the practitioner super quick or the opponent super slow via mind tricks. Feyd-Rautha in the book has trained to not be affect by the Bene Gesserit ways, which I always thought that that meant Paul could not use The Voice on him. Even if this is so, Paul did use The Voice on the Reverend Mother effectively. This suggests that Feyd-Rautha would struggle at best to fend off Paul's use of Weirding Way or The Voice.

Paul has also trained with the Freeman for months in the movie and years in the book. Paul has fought the Sardaukar, who are touted as the best troops in the Empire, but who the Freemen decimate. The Freemen though do show the Sardaukar more respect than the other House Troops.

Paul is also trained as a mentat. The book only lightly covers what the mentats do and does not go into how the mentat training would help/hurt hand to hand combat. But thinking quickly or more quickly than your opponent should have an advantage.

Given the above, I do not think that the ending fight should have been as close as it was in the book ... or having Paul get wounded as in the movie. Paul should have wiped the floor with Feyd.

Thoughts?

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

19. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I feel sorry for the kid with that kind of parent. Can't wait until Grimes has him drinking the "water of life" AKA Windex and getting upset that his ancestral memories aren't awakening to her satisfaction.

Space Ghost, dobro1229 and Ottomaton like this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What equation out there solves the probability that the child of Elon Musk and Grimes does or does not grow up to be a massive d$ckhead??