1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Doctor Strange

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think this is kind of a blah choice actually. I feel like Joaquin Phoenix and him are quite different actors. I like Cumerbatch, don't get me wrong I'm sure he'll do a fine job if this is accurate. I was just hoping for someone less expected.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

3. magman

magman Member

Can't see Cumberbatch in the role, that being said I'm sure he and Marvel will do a great job, and that voice...... that voice....

I still think Ethan Hawke would have been a great choice, he would have been my pick.

4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Should have gone with Keanu.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I can see Cumberbatch being in the Dr. Strange costume. Maybe he'll tone down the English accent a bit if he is chosen

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That's John Constantine

Rocket River

7. Nero

Nero Member

When you think 'Supreme Warlock', there is only one person to think of!

(I keed, I keed)

[​IMG]

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My knowle dge of Dr Strange is pretty limited, but Cumberbatch's Sherlock seems like it has a whole lot in common with Strange, in that both are defined by learning/intelligence, and both of them stand alone without anybody that could be considered equals/teammates/peers.

I don't know if Strange has a brooding, thoughtful, standoffish demeanor in the comics, but I'm pretty sure he will in the film, and I think that will fit a "master of the arcane arts" character pretty well. He also has an air of self confidence.

Phoenix can do brooding, but never has done a character where he pulled off super smart, while I think Hawke is better suited for hyperkenetic, talky type characters. Cumberbatch is always playing the smartest guy in the room, who knows he's the smartest guy in the room. That seems like Strange to me.

#88 Ottomaton, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  9. 713

713 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XwkJzWpu2as?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Cumberbatch confirmed as Strange. No link, sorry.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wonder if they are going to have him use an American accent or not.

Also they announced Krysten Ritter(Breaking Bad) as Jessica Jones and appears Mike Colter(The Following, Halo Nightfall) will be Luke Cage in their respective Netflix series.

I am a fan of Ritter but not sure about her in this role.
    Not familiar enought with Colter, but he looks the part at least.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ritter and Colter aren't official yet. With that said, they're both good choices. I think they're making a mistake not using Terry Crews for Luke Cage though, and he even wanted the part. I'm guessing they wanted someone younger since they need him to be Cage awhile. Ritter is awesome; my wife forced me to watch "Don't trust the b**** in apartment 23", and it's actually hilarious. She was solid in Breaking Bad as well.

As for Cumberbatch and the accent; I'm guessing his voice will be similar to Star Trek.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Crews would've been perfect if not for his age. I can just imagine him saying "Sweet F****** Christmas" on screen, lol.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Haha. I still always hear him in my head as either Cheeseburger Eddie from the Longest Yard or Damon from Friday After Next. You got to protect the McNuggets!

15. 713

713 Member

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

http://www.cnet.com/news/doctor-strange-starts-filming-plus-cast-revealed/

Marvel has begun production on "Doctor Strange," starring Benedict Cumberbatch of "Sherlock" fame.

The film will be shot in several locations, including London, New York, Hong Kong and Kathmandu, Nepal, Marvel said in its announcement earlier this week.

Cumberbatch plays Dr. Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, discovers the hidden world of alternate dimensions and magic.

Marvel released a list of the other main cast members without specifying roles. The cast includes Chiwetel Ejiofor ("Serenity"), Rachel McAdams ("Sherlock Holmes"), Michael Stuhlbarg ("Steve Jobs"), Mads Mikkelsen ("Hannibal") and Tilda Swinton ("The Grand Budapest Hotel").

Disney confirmed in August that Swinton is playing Doctor Strange's mentor, the Ancient One, a character whose gender may be swapped from male to female for the film. Disney also said that Ejiofor, who worked previously with Cumberbatch on "12 Years a Slave," will play Karl Mordo, a magically gifted nemesis of Doctor Strange.

Dormammu, the fiery ruler of the Dark Dimension, is one of many great enemies of Doctor Strange in the comics. But will he make it to the big screen?
    Marvel

We'll have to wait longer to officially find out which characters McAdams, Mikkelsen and Stuhlbarg are slated to play. Of course, that doesn't stop fans (myself included) from speculating which characters are suited for the actors involved.

Personally, I'd like to see McAdams end up playing Doctor Strange's love interest and fellow mystical arts superhero, Clea. Then again, it could also be fun to see McAdams play occult expert and author Morgana Blessing on the big screen, especially since Doctor Strange studies her books to better understand his magical abilities.

Mikkelsen's role is also heavily shrouded in mystery. But if McAdams is playing Clea, chances are he'll be cast as Dormammu, Clea's uncle and one of Doctor Strange's most powerful enemies. After all, he is the ruler of the Dark Dimension.

Though it might be fun to watch Mikkelsen play the evil Nightmare, a demon who likes to torture his victims in the dream dimension as they sleep.

According to Variety, Stuhlbarg may be portraying Nicodemus West. West is a rival scientist of Strange who also studied mystical arts with the Ancient One.

The movie, which will be directed by Scott Derrickson ("Sinister") is slated to hit theaters November 4, 2016.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dr. Strange is a truly great Marvel character and I believe Cumberbatch is a good choice for the role.

This could be epic but I'm concerned how the character and his shtick will translate to the big screen.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Would have preferred Nicolas Cage.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Did not think they would be that fateful to the original costume, but I like it. Wonder when we will get a trailer...I'm guessing on next year's Civil War movie