1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain America 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The masses international had probably heard of Iron Man before the movies, but would not be able to tell Iron Man from Ultron much less know Iron Man is Tony Stark. Before Iron Man's first trailer came out, people in the US were talking about how Marvel was rolling out a B Team. There is a big difference in the name recognition between Captain America (who isn't even called Captain America in countries that are less than pro-America) to that of Batman and Superman.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Okay...since we obviously have to get into this...

A) He's still called Captain America in other countries. You're talking about how they changed the first movie to just be titled "First Avenger" due to less than Pro-american sentiment. The character is still called Captain America.

B) Yes, people said Marvel was rolling out their "B" team...but those people were critics or people upset about the lack of rights to other characters (X-men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and Fantastic Four were all off limits at the time), not your average person (or fan for that matter). The Avengers are definitely not a "B" team. They're certainly more popular than the Fantastic Four, and have been for awhile. While Iron Man is a hell of a lot more popular than he's ever been, he was still a major Marvel character before all of this.

C) Casual observers may not have known Iron Man was Tony Stark or blah blah blah, but people who read comics? Um, yeah...they would...internationally or otherwise. Marvel isn't some little start up or something, they've been around for over 70 years. Iron Man has been around since the 60s...

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

My point was the average person internationally, rather than the average comic book fan (who obviously would've known Iron Man, Capt, etc). I was thinking more on the lines of Asia/Europe, where we have our own manga and cartoons to occupy us (and I grew up in both places). I daresay before the X-Men and Iron Men movies came out, the average person in Asia would barely recognise any Marvel characters, but Batman and Superman? Definitely.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Did you consider that Batman and Superman had movies a longggg time ago and that's a source of their popularity?

#24 seclusion, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Yes, and their ongoing cartoons probably helped keep the DC characters more internationally known than Marvel ones right up until Marvel produced the Iron Man trilogy and others. My original point was that having really famous characters (Superman) doesn't guarantee a box office success, while Marvel has had much greater success with less famous characters.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Isn't it obvious that good movies make more money than bad ones?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I assume I am wrong on A).

On point B), average people were saying B team or didn't care to say anything at all. Justice League and X-Men were a lot more popular than Avengers prior to the movies.

On point C, there are a lot less people that read comics than people that know who Superman and Batman were prior to the Avenger movies. I am not saying that Marvel is a start up, but you are delusional if you thought Iron Man and Captain America had any draw close to that of Supes and Bats prior to the movies.

As the average issue of Avengers sells about 100,000 copies or less in US and about 30,000,000 million people saw the Avengers in the US...casual fans and not comic book readers make up the vast majority of people that see movies based on comic books.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

See my post above. A large reason for Batman and Superman being well known is their movies (good ones I might add) were out long before the first Xmen movie.

Anyway I don't remember ever saying Cap or Iron man were as popular leading up to these movies. (That's because I never said it.)

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Then why are you arguing with me if you have the same opinion except I was wrong about Cap America getting his name changed. You have definitely acted like international recognition basically only refers to international comic book fans. In context of movies, it should refer to movie goers in my opinion.

I don't care if Superman and Batman got their popularity from the movies back in the day. What Marvel did with the Avenger franchise is very special especially considering the huge discrepancy in popularity before Iron Man came out and was the whole point branton's post that you responded.

As a Marvel fan, I am happy with the avenger series, but do wish the X-Men series was done to the same quality.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Confession: I didn't like the idea of an Avengers movie and it turned out good.

I would rather they make two great, separate movies.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marvel Taking 'Big Swings' With CAPTAIN AMERICA 3 Subtitle, Tease Russo Co-Directors

Implying that the subtitle will once again borrow inspiration from a certain comic book arc, the Russo brothers have offered up more (yet very little) about Captain America 3. Check it out after the jump!

Follow DCMarvelFreshman:
    View CBM Profile Follow on Twitter Follow on Google
    By DCMarvelFreshman - 8/28/2014
    Another day, another set of major Captain America 3 teases from directors Joe and Anthony Russo, amid promotion for The Winter Soldier home release. Now talking with Cinema Blend, the pair offered a bit more about the 2016 threequel's subtitle, which is "coming soon...shortly...very, very soon," according to Joe. "I think when people learn the title of Cap 3, they’ll understand that Marvel is continuing to take really big swings." Does this mean the subtitle will once again borrow inspiration from an existing Captain America comic book arc? Probably. The Russos were then asked if the success of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy will allow them to get a bit...strange with Captain America 3. "We still think of Cap… what makes him special, in the Marvel universe, is that he lends himself to that grounding," said Anthony. "At least compared to the other characters who have come down through the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So there is a special quality – Cap shines brightest in that tone. At the same time, the success of the brand certainly allows us to make more experiments and to try certain things. Even if we are staying true to that tone. So right now, we’re trying to keep pushing the boundaries of what we are able to do with the narrative and the style, to see where people will go with us." Joe Russo then added, "More than anything, the success of Guardians taught us that we can take more chances. We can be riskier." Also during the interview, Joe and Anthony apparently said they have a desire to bring more heroes into Captain America 3, which likely includes Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. Anyhow, head over to Cinema Blend for five other intriguing "facts" from the Russos. What do you think?

Starring Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Emily VanCamp, and Frank Grillo (so far), Captain America 3 is directed by the Russos, and currently scheduled for release on May 6, 2016.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm wondering if they're implying Civil War. I can't imagine what else it could be.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm sure there are more story arcs than just Civil War for them to use. You're not talking about a recently created superhero here. And its next to impossible to do a civil war story line without Spider Man or the X-Men

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They stated it would raise eyebrows with just the name. What story arc for Cap do you know other than Winter Soldier or Civil War off the top of your head?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Honestly? Other than tie ins with other superheroes, none. And Civil War used Spider Man extensively as well as the X-Men. Sure it was Stark v Rogers but Spider Man doing what he did in the storyline is pretty significant. I can see where they might just take the assassination part and role with it but that would just be a skim of the true story...like X3 tried to do with Dark Phoenix.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's one where he retires that was a big deal. After all the SHIELD stuff, maybe the government goes after the Avengers after Ultron? Maybe he retires and goes rogue?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What bumped down Winter Soldier is that I generally hate Bourne Identity inspired movies that heavily use shaky cam and simulate hand to hand combat with extreme closeups and one off hits.

It's like the actors spent all the time and effort to train but the director has to resort to tricks and confusing the audience to make them look good?

Because that illusion is so embedded in my mind, it detaches me from enjoying the movie.

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

They could do Civil War but it would have to be done differently. But really Civil War should be a movie unto itself and not just a Cap movie.

It's hard for me to think of any major Cap arcs other then Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Reborn. Most of a Caps major stuff seems to be done with the Avengers

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The resolution of Civil War was pretty ****ty. Started off pretty interesting, but I don't even remembered how that piece of crap ended. It seemed like the Skrull Invasion took off immediately after it.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I agree that it's technically a Marvel Universe/Avengers movie, I'm just at a loss for what could grab attention just from the name.