1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Boyhood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SC1211, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VBG

VBG Member

The point of the movie is that life goes on and that there is no plot like a movie. Events keep happening. It's never the worst or the best.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What VBG basically said. It's not about some big cinematic moments. It's about the subtle moments in life that shape who you are.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Having said this...I don't blame anybody who thinks it's boring or uninteresting. Everybody obviously is entitled to their opinion.

Just saying that there isn't a plot as a critique is kind of missing the point, though.

DFWRocket likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Should have won. I truly believe that 100 years from now when your great-great-grandkids are taking a Film class in college and the lecture is devoted to early 21st Century cinema, Boyhood will be brought up. Birdman, not so much.

DFWRocket likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You have no soul.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This was my favorite thing about the movie.

To each his own, though.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I honestly thought this movie should have swept the Oscars (Houston biased aside) but after seeing Birdman the next day..yeah they got it right.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

um.......that was kind of the....nevermind

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_fOA1cv9pHs?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

After several years I finally saw this movie on Netflix, and am kind of shocked about how much I didn't like it.

It has nothing to do with it being boring or a lack of a plot. I just thought the acting was bad, the characters were caricatures and pretty much unlikable (except Ethan Hawke...eventhough his dialogue was cringe-worthy at times and had a tendency to overact), the dialogue was pretentious and unnatural, the scenes were cliched/contrived, etc. I hate that I'm using cliched film criticism to describe it, but I can't help it. It seems like it just failed at the "film making 101" aspects.

The concept was cool...I liked that it featured Houston/Texas...but the execution couldn't have been much worse for me.

fba34 likes this.