1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Boyhood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SC1211, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

You're joking? I'd expect you to be the last person on earth to praise this movie!!!!! How much did they pay you to say this? Guardian of the galaxy, The raid 2, come on those were better, right?

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Typically I'm not the type to put too much faith in reviews but..

99% on rotten tomatoes, with an average rating of 9.4 175 fresh, 2 rotten

100% on metacritic

8.9 on IMDB

Those are overwhelming reviews. I'm really gonna have to check this one out.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I have more appreciation for Indie movies past 2 years, I can get past all the Hollywood hoopla to enjoy these types of movies, with some exceptions (Mudd).

Its a Linklater movie, like I said, he is one of those you get or don't. The only other past movies I like from him was School of Rock, Fast Food Nation, Dazed and Confused.

I liked it for its originality, GoftG, Raid 2 were great movies, but I liked this more

Guessing you were just bored as hell watching this movie? I get that, if I watched this like 3-5 years ago, I'd probably say the same thing

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Come on, how old are you dude? Typical action movies over this classic?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's borderline trolling and probs shouldn't be quoted in this thread, but it's all good.

It's like comparing fine French cuisine to a super-7-layer-fart-crunch burrito from Taco Bell, but what are you going to do?

6. VanityHalfBlack

I like Linklater, compared to his other films, boyhood was mediocre except for the fact that he shot it in over a 12 year span.

Dazed and Confused, Suburbia, Fast Food Nation,Before trilogy,School Of Rock in my opinion were all better films than Boyhood.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I kind of feel the same way. IT was a solid movie. Definitely above average. Maybe even way above average, if you think about where average is these days.

But it's not that it was "plot-less"... it's just that even in it's meandering this is life story, which is much of Linklater's work, it was so so so so so supremely mellow. Perhaps he just went with what the kid turned out to be - a thinker - but still...

... every scene that could have been amped up, even a little, ended up not being. And you need some amp. At least some.

Frankly, life gives you amp. Even if your not that kind of character, in life you end up surrounded by all kinds.... and while there were some of those characters here, even they were downplayed - the alcoholic husband as an example. That might have been the most tension in the movie... and even it was kind of a snooze in some ways.

Perhaps this is where the 12 year length thing hurts. It's ALREADY a nearly 3 hour movie that imo DOES drag a bit.

Alternatively, the 12 year length thing is clearly what makes the movie rise above as well. As a mid 30 year old parent of youngsters, it hits home. I am close enough to remember that growing up phase and have been a parent long enough now to recognize those aspects of the story that hit home... how fast it goes, how much they change, but stay the same, while you seemingly just get fatter and more boring.

Good movie. 7/10

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I was discussing this with the person I saw this with last night and we both came to that conclusion as well. It made sense since he had 12 years to mold the story how he wanted.

Great movie. Definitely brought back long forgotten memories of similar experiences when I was growing up, and the Houston connection just added to it. I initially thought the 12 year filming would be just gimicky, but it really did add to the experience.

I won't go as far as to say it's one of the greatest of all time, but it's certainly memorable and it will get a best picture nomination.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw it. Christ that movie was good. It's such a gift to have so many aspects of my specific upbringing, environment, and culture captured in a brilliant film.

#49 gifford1967, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I loved it, but the kid OD'ing at the end was just too much.

1 person likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Hey dip **** thanks for ruining the movie for those of us who haven't seen it yet!!

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

He's joking.

13. the shark

the shark Member

Good. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Really enjoyed this movie. I've seen fewer and fewer movies over the year, basically it has deteriorated to nearly nothing recently. This one may rekindle my past love of movie-watching.

I loved the last scene so much.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yeah, no OD. He gets dropped for snitchin'.

16. VanityHalfBlack

You left out the one scene where the drug cartel came in their home and kidnapped them back to Mexico.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

It was good, and very cool to watch, but I do think the concept was greater than the movie itself. Linklater should have taken full advantage of the situation and filmed another movie simultaneously.

Oh, and J. Lane FTW!

18. conquistador#11

Should take home many awards, but major props to make up and design. How they made patricia arquette and ethan hawke look young then old was pretty incredible!

Serious, at times, I forgot that the movie was shot over 12 years =)

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Was kind of depressing seeing Arquette go from hot to meh.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just think how she feels watching the movie. I'm so glad there's not a 3-hour movie of me aging 12 years. No thank you.