1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Batman and Superman movie for 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was uninteresting and had Michael Bay-like dialogue and writing. I had to apologize to my wife after for taking her to the movie. Only other time I felt compelled to do that was with Transformers Dark of the Moon.

With that said I'm still following the developments of this movie and will probably Redbox it when the time comes. But with Suckerpunch and Man of Steel, Snyder has made me come to expect trash in his work.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man of Steel was better than Thor 2 and maybe Iron Man 3.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

Maybe the first half...

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So now we are deducting points from a Superman movie because the actor playing Superman was actually built like Superman?

Was he supposed to be like Robert Downey Jr. and be built like a 12 year old boy but be really smartass funny? Is that what the kids want from every superhero movie now?

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yes but that is selling MoS short. Thor 2 and IM3 were horrible movies. Actually, Thor 2 was so bad I don't remember what it was about. I just remember the disappointment.

6. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Lol, you get really defensive over all of this.

7. SexyButIgnorant

MoS wasn't that bad. I gave it a 7. I thought the first hour and a half of the movie was great, but after the first Smallville fight (which is one of my favorite action scenes in any movie), it all goes downhill with repetitive fighting and no dramatic effort.

That said, I'm happy they're moving this ahead two months. It's a win for fans of Batman, Superman, Captain America, Marvel and DC. Everyone wins. BvS doesn't take a hit against Captain, Captain doesn't get beat in the Box Office, and poor fans can save their money to watch both :)

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't agree that it was awful. The action was amazing, which is what Zach Snyder is known for.

I think the length of the movie contributed to it's issues. I have a feeling that it should have been 4+ hours long with more time to develop the Lois-SM relationship. However, editing made the whole Lois angle feel rushed. Why were the kryptonians obsessed with her? Why did the fight in Metropolis consistently drop at her feet? The whole movie would have been better off without her the way she was introduced. They would have been better off making it a mad love at first sight romance. I would have bought that, especially with Superman probably being a virgin.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Man of Steel is a dog***t movie with dialogue so awful that it made otherwise good actors look bad. Almost on the level of George Lucas, who even turned Samuel L. Jackson into a line-reader.

At the end of the movie I told my wife, "I was half thinking of walking out of that movie." And she answered, "Me, too! I wish you would have said something!"

Everything was rushed --- basically, "Superman" and "Superman II" crammed into one movie (I won't call it a "film") --- and the special effects, while excellent, became overwhelming.

All of that for an ending where Kal-El looks longingly into Lois Lane's eyes without registering a shred of recognition or remorse for the thousands of collateral-damage civilians in all the buildings that got shredded?

Basically a movie made for the Android-phone / gamers generation. There was no human connection whatsoever in the movie.

Good points? Cavill was an excellent choice. I liked the God aspect; you know that people would wonder if he was some form of Jesus returned (or some such incarnation of God), so that was all right. Kevin Costner was a nice addition as Pa Kent.

I'll pay attention to reviews before the Batman - Superman movie comes out. I'll know: if Rotten Tomatoes says 58%, as it did for MoS? Take it seriously. But hopefully Snyder can do a better job, even if he did add the great thespian Ben Affleck to the fold.

10. VanityHalfBlack

Is the Christopher Reeves Superman still the best to date? It's still my favorite Superman movie. Or do you like the Brian Singer one better?

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"A sith lord?!?" -Mace Windu

:grin:

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agree. MoS was weird. The Lois romance made no sense at all, the mass destruction of the city was Michael Bay explosion-p*rn, the killing scene was ridiculous...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"There is no Brian Singer Superman movie" - Obie Wan

Rocket River

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I really enjoyed the 1st half and back story elements to MOS, then it got crappy. Maybe this time they'll get the whole movie right.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hell yeah I do!

I just get annoyed by the whippersnappers thinking every superhero movie has to be filled with goofballs constantly throwing out one liners when the fate of the world is in jeopardy.

I agree with Xerobull about the Lois Lane character and relationship with Supes being rushed. Most of my other nitpicks of the movie are minor (Superman not saving his dad from the tornado was r****ded no matter what pops told him) compared to other superhero movies. I thougth the movie was a solid 7-8 and much more "re-watchable" than most other superhero movies.

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

[​IMG]

It reminds me of a fighter jet and a formula one car mixed together.

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

MoS had some good ideas but was seriously flawed. The action was great, it of course was nice to see a good representation of what Superman-level powered beings would do in a brawl.

But Snyder/Goyer couldn't really flesh it out. The Birthright type origins with Clark wandering the world was a great thing to touch on, but it ended up being kind of shallow. The changes to Jonathan Kent were an interesting angle, but again it just didn't really work all that well in the final product. Pa Kent being essentially afraid of Clark showing his abilities to the world just doesn't really mesh with what Superman eventually becomes. Costner too was just kind of awkward in the role.

And then there's the 'we just tore the **** out of Metropolis and Smallville and probably killed a lot of people' stuff. That - and Zod's fate - I don't really have a problem with it in general. I honestly believe that the idea the movie was trying to present here was that you've got a Superman who literally is on the first day on the job and allowed to go balls out with his powers in a fight for his life and the life of the only family he has left. I felt like after the Zod fight his reaction is supposed to be facing what he's done and understanding the cost of what he can do. (there's something like this in the comics back in the 90's IIRC - basically the only time Superman has killed in the mainstream comics as far as I know).

It's just that the movie does a piss poor job of actually demonstrating any of that. Snyder can hit the action set piece notes perfectly, but can't stick the landing on the other stuff.

I'm interested in seeing how Superman/Batman comes together, and the fact that we're looking at a different writer makes me a little more hopeful, but ultimately I feel like there's a very good chance that we're going to get the same sort of thing. A movie that looks great, has great action and great nods to the comics, but has way too many problems everywhere else.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Cracked.com did an article listing 4 Signs DC Comics Has No Clue How to Make Superhero Movies. Normally don't read to much into these list, but I wholeheartedly agree with this article, especially Dark doesn't mean Realistic and most importantly the fact that Snyder might not know who Superman really is or what he stands for.

Judging by the Comicon vid it looks like Superman still wants to tear peoples heads off.

19. SexyButIgnorant

I don't think Snyder believes Dark is realistic. I think he just wants it to be dark and realistic. Besides, the points that MoS hits with clark (how he's the last of his kind, doesnt really fit in, grows up in fear of who he is and hiding) are all real reactions that a guy like Superman would have. I get that some like the idea of this boy-scout ideal for humanity, but I don't think that comes off naturally (As can be seen with Superman Returns). I thought MoS took steps to establishing reasoning for him becoming that ideal for hope that Jor-El wants him to be. And this movie looks to be the EXACT answer to all the questionable things Superman did in MoS. Which is extremely refreshing, and it all comes from the human perspective of Batman.

In other news, they made one extremely sexy Batmobile.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

18 more months.:(