1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Alex Garland’s “Civil War”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Dec 13, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Love Alex Garlands previous films. I’m sure it’s well done. However I can’t think of too many subjects I’d like to be entertained by then watching a US Civil War in 2024.

There’s no way that this movie could be made in a truthful manner than if it didn’t piss off half of the US which looks like the studio tried to avoid with writing in Texas and California as allies.

Despite the whitewashing that many try to do, January 6 is a thing that actually did happen. I don’t need to fantasize or freak out about what would happen if those people had half the military behind them.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I will say though that it does make sense as a continuation of the theme of the criminally underrated Annihilation which is basically about the human species’ drive to self destruction.

B-Bob, Clutch City1993 and GRENDEL like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

From what little I've read, the movie does not even mention the causes of the war or any politics behind it.

So there's that.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. What Buck mentions in the post above is correct.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Been dying to see this one. Been a fan of Garland since Ex-Machina which I still think is his best movie to date

6. VanityHalfBlack

I don't know man. There's a movie literally about just taxes and it won an academy award for best picture. There's also a fight scene with butt plugs at the irs offices that was the highlight of the movie too! I called that poetic cinema!

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t buy it. That’s the central premise, right?

There also has to be a reason why Texas/Cali are allied.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Big booty Latinas? Or Latino depending on preferences

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah, nope, the script doesn't offer any sort of explanation or backstory. I personally found it pretty frustrating because it activity avoids any of that sort of stuff, so you are left following the core group which is fine but the characters are pretty one dimensional as well.

I generally enjoy Garland's stuff but this one felt like a little toothless especially after MEN where he had zero issues being didactic with his POV, C+ for me.....

kubli9, Entropy and B-Bob like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I report, you decide.

12. Buck Turgidson

I haven't seen "Men" (insert joke here), but to me he hasn't made a bad movie yet.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you are hoping for a twisted civil war fantasy based on the current political environment, you will be disappointed. The civil war has little to do with the overall story. It would have been better served if they used a third world country as the backdrop.

I give it a big fat F for using a stupid US Civil War fantasy to bait people into the theaters.

Entropy, VanityHalfBlack and B-Bob like this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I agree with the other bad reviews here. There's no message to this film. Scenes happen just to happen. No explanation for the civil war. No motives for any characters or side characters. There wasn't much substance.

GRENDEL and kubli9 like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

He made an adult film?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Garland's movies are really good but tend to have a glaring flaw (or two) that keep his films from being great -- Annihilation comes to mind.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw it on Friday. It has some cool cinematography in the action scenes but the main story falls flat and Kirsten Dunst is washed. I give it a C.

Entropy likes this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The US president called Texas and California "Secessionist" and talked about military victories in both states in the very beginning of the movie. I assumed it as they allied together because of that and not because they wanted to be allied as a new country. Florida was also mentioned as being on the verge of seceding.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is Kirsten Dunst the James Harden of Hollywood?