1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] A Scanner Darkly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rodrick_98, May 2, 2006.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's not really a political movie. It's more about drugs and it's long term effects on you. Robert Downey was great in it, but I found the animation distracting. I felt like I was tripping on acid throughout the movie.

BTW, I saw the prescreening several months ago at Angelika. It was okay, but nothing great.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I heard that crazy man Alex Jones was actually in this movie, still spouting his conspiracy theories.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my old roommate was an animator on that film. he drew all the crazy bugs and weird stuff, which he enjoyed much more than drawing keanu reaves.

its actually quite an accomplishment that this movie came out at all. there were numerous times when the whole production was on the verge of being shut down and my roommate was thinking he was going to be let go at anytime. linklater went way overbudget and about halfway thru the animating they were told to "hurry it up" as they were spending ALOT of time working on it, so part of the movie will be very detailed as far as the animating and the rest will be more like waking life, still cool looking but not what it was originally going to look like.

that was my roommates main gripe. because they ended up rushing the last couple months to get it out its not going to look as good as the rest.

he made some killer money though - i think it was $18-$20/hour to draw for 8 months.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

robert downey was made for this movie. FIEND

6. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I cannot wait for this movie. I can't remember being this excited for a movie in years.

A Scanner Darkly is based on a Phillip K. Dick shortstory by the same name. Dick is also the author of "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?", a shortstory which BladeRunner was based on. BladeRunner being my favorite movie of all time, I'm quite the PKD enthusiast.

Richard Linklater (Houston, Texas) native is directing and writing this, which has me even more excited. He also wrote/directed Dazed And Confused, and has an unbelievable skill in writing characters.

Another aspect of this film which had me freaking out is the animated aspect. It's a technique called rotoscoping, and it looks unbelievable.

I can't wait, so excited!