1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moved to China - Any tips?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by split41, Jul 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Holy ****.

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I just got a water cooler/heater in my apartment. When I was getting low id call the guy and he'd bring me some more on his scooter for 18 rmb each bottle. We'll worth it.

3. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

Try Bubbas Texas BBQ in the Cool Docks. Not great but it's ok. Cool atmosphere.

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

They love Obamao. They have the shirts and bags everywhere with Obama dressed like Chairman Mao.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like toxic ****... I bet the pink slime market is BOOMING there...

To the op, j would strongly befriend other locals who share your concerns before doing some of the more adventurous things.

You're going to live not as a tourist but much longer, and I think seeing how they live is one of the more rewarding things when taking the once in a lifetime opportunity if going abroad.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yup... and it isn't the only disgusting thing that is common in China and food production. I have spent months there and were warned by locals about rats being often passed off as "mystery meat", cardboard filler used in food, severely expired/rotting food being used... and not just in "street food"... that doesn't even get into the serious pest issues (which is accepted) and use of chemicals.

Nothing against the Chinese people.... but no.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I went to China for about 2 months around 5-6 years ago, and it was lovely. Granted, I stuck with major cities, and pretty much only went where my friends knew about, but I had a great time. The food got to be very bland for me after a while, but that's a minor complaint on an otherwise good experience. For all the people basing their opinions on what a few have said about the lifestyle there, have you ever been anywhere outside of suburban America?? There is a vibrancy to life that you can't always obtain when staying in A/C'd track homes that were built in 2006.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

I have... and there's some sound advice in this thread... You should avoid street food vendors... you should avoid hole in the wall restaurants... and don't drink the tap water...

You did right by your health sticking to major cities, but some of the truly vibrant experiences are to be found in the country...

Like all things, be careful, be wise with your decisions, and you should be fine...

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's considered VERY disrespectful to not give oral to Chinese women that you sleep with. Be sure to always begin and end with it when having sex there.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Meh, I visit Shanghai all the time, just eat at the good restaurants and stick to the bund. It's all good (except on my wallet, Shanghai is now more expensive than the states :( )

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

rofl or cooking your own food after shopping for ingredients ;)

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Talking about Shanghai or the States?