1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Motiejunas: They should be afraid of ME.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 14, 2013.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not want him shooting the 3 except for the corner 3 (the rest is just a bit to far away for him). I also do not want D-mo used in the pick and roll (he does not finish that well).

However is has elite post up skills. And I truly believe he can be a great 3 scorer for a championship team (I think he can be more than that, but we need a third scorer this year). Also since our team is constructed of shooters it is ideal to post him up when Harden is not in the game).

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's more than just athleticism, there some skills that TJones is just better at like handling the ball 20 feet from the basket. That's not a knock on DMo since I think DMo is way above average for a 7 footer handling the ball, but I think TJones is the only big man in the league that can take the ball 20 feet out on the court and make the defender look like a fool with a series of nasty cross-overs on his way to the basket for a finishing dunk. That is a skill that DMo just doesn't have. Shot blocking is more than just athleticism, it's also about having a natural timing that you typically can't teach and TJones is a natural shot blocker.

Right now I would be hard pressed to trade either player. DMo easily has the best post moves on the team and is probably the best position defender in the post on the team as well. TJones is still learning how to play NBA defense with out getting lost on the floor. But there are only a couple of 22 year old post players in the league that can effect the game in a positive way like TJones can. TJones is going to get better as he gets older just like DMo got better. DMo was just horrible on Defense when he was 22 and not much better last season but the light has come on and now he grades out as one of the best in the league.

What I wish both players would develop is the little 10 to 15 foot jumper. Neither of them seem to be able to hit that shot with enough consistency to make the defenses respect it. Both players are athletic enough that they could put the ball on the floor and go around any defender that tried to close out on it, but right now no defender closes out on a TJones or DMo jump shot. Plus if they were consistent at that little jump shot, it would open up the post for guys like Dwight and James.

Personally I like both players and would like to see both stay here for the long haul, but if I had to trade one of them, it would need to be in a package for a significant piece like Dragic or Taj Gibson.

3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Absolutely agree.

He is not a good finisher in the PnR that is why I would like him to focus on his mid range to become a good pick and pop player. He has already opened up the offense with his posting up, now if he can incorporate the mid range it will be lovely the options we can create off that.

I haven't been this excited/optimistic for awhile about this team, feels good!

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

DMo is fine as the starter so long as we get a PG that can create off the bounce. We need someone besides Harden that can drive the lane. Ariza is ok at it, but TJones excels.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you have 2 big men that can create their own shot in the post along with capable 3 point shooters and a James Harden, IMO that's better than anything Jones brings to the team since he can't create his own shot and he doesn't play defense aside from an occasional block