1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Motiejunas signs two year deal in Poland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Sep 22, 2011.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Very true.

He could also shoot the 3, which is a huge advantage on offense whether we want to utilize it or not. He forces the opposing PF or C to come out of the paint to guard him, which opens up the lane for our guards.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes he could play the 4 and maybe 5 but with Scola, Patterson, Camby and Sammy, I think someone has to go to make room for Motiejunas or he will just sit on the bench waiting his turn.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We sort of say that every year about every position. In the end, something always happens to free up minutes. Unless your TWill.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep, I could definitely see a Patterson-Motiejunas combo eventually being very effective on offense. Plus, if there is a tough center matchup, Patterson has the strength to guard most centers. Heck, he's played a ton of minutes at center for us this season already!

(Also, dobro, it's M-O-T-I-E-J-U-N-A-S. No "n" in the first part of the name. I've seen you write "Montiejunas" enough times to see that it's not just a typo. No worries, though. Before Clutch corrected me shortly after we drafted him, I was making the SAME mistake.)

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Also, people here just ASSUME that Motiejunas is going to step in and play right away. But I'm not so sure that'll be the case. I think he could see a D-League stint and perhaps a half season of preparation before getting real minutes (as with Patterson, who was possibly the most NBA-ready big in the 2010 Draft).

A frontcourt rotation of Scola, Patterson, Camby/Dalembert (assuming you keep at least one) and Motiejunas would be very solid yet--for at least the first part of next season--not so much the "over-abundance" that others view it as. Heck, just about every single one of those players would be highly tradable, so whenever Motiejunas is ready, the Rockets can make a deal to convert one of those other guys into some other "asset".

6. cod

cod Member

Morey has said in one of those radio interviews that Donuts won't be playing in the D-League.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think this makes more sense. DMo has been playing in a professional league for years now. He's far more ahead of the curve mentally than your typical draft pick. He does likely need to bulk up and hit the weight room. But there's no reason for him to get reps in the DLeague.

Of course, whether or not he can get rotation minutes probably depends on summer league and preseason.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, Motiejunas' offensive skill are probably the most polished of any of PF's we've drafted in the last 5 seasons. No D-League needed.

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Can't wait. I love summer league.

Good to hear that D-Mo has actually bulked up some. I still think he has to improve his lower body strength, but at least he's not 220 anymore.

I'm guessing Gerson Rosas didn't have any up-to-date numbers when they asked him about D-Mo's weight a month or so ago, so he just went with draft numbers.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I recall hearing Morey talk about Moti and the D-League in the context of Moti's Euroleague preparation making him more NBA-ready than college games, but I never heard him definitively state that Moti WOULD NOT be sent down to the D-League. Such a definitive statement does not strike me as very "Morey-like".

Also, to the extent that Moti would stay overseas rather than spend a couple of weeks in the D-League, perhaps they'd make vague statements like "Moti probably won't be sent down" to get him under contract first. THEN the D-League avenue conveniently begins to pop up in conversations. ;)

11. dobro1229

Wow... it so obviously should be MONTY... If we have this much trouble just typing his damn name, just imagine Clyde trying to pronounce it every game next year.

12. dobro1229

When his transition was brought up in the most recent 1560 interview Morey really focused on his work this Summer with McHale and co. being the major deciding factor on where he's going to fit in the rotation next season.

However, he did say earlier on that MOTIEJUNAS will have to go through the same process as Patterson, and co.

Meaning, D-League will be on the table if he needs it, or isnt in the rotation at the beginning of the year. That being said, I think his skillset, and size will be unique enough for McHale to find him a much more useful asset off the bench then a raw, undersized power forward would be in his rotation early on. I personally dont think he will see time in the D-League, but if he struggles to find minutes, its going to happen.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We really don't know where his skill level is at right now, in terms of producing on the NBA level. Physically, he's even more of a question mark.

And you never know who needs the most polish. Patterson, Landry, and Morris were talented big men prospects and couldn't crack the rotation immediately. Jordan Hill, the rawest of all our bigs, was in our lineup almost as soon as he stepped off the plane.

14. dobro1229

We know his skillset, we just dont know the level of quality in the NBA. He's not proven in the NBA, but his traits are unique enough to useful in certain game time situations.

You could say the same about Morris, but its still isnt enough for him to crack the rotation right now. So honestly we just dont know, and neither do the Rockets personnel until they actually get him in Houston, and in an NBA practice. Anyone who say's he will be "this" or "that" obviously is full of BS.

I personally think his skillset is unique enough to get minutes much quicker than someone like Patterson, Landry, or Morris, but its just an opinion... no way am I making any guarantees. If anything I would try to be conservative about my expectations.

15. Frozen

Frozen Member

16. Frozen

Frozen Member

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Only caught the last 30 seconds or so.

D-Mo didn't get back on D that one crucial possession (he looked really gassed), but looks like he had a good game overall (23pts/13rbs http://live.basket.iskiereczka.pl/mecz.html?game_id=8283).

With the win Prokom has now qualified as the 1 seed for the Polish League playoffs.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Good to hear.

19. Rivers

Rivers Member

Beast, this kid is beast.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Just looking at his stats it looks like DMo is contributing in every part of the game. That might be why he is gassed.

D. Motiejunas 33 mins., 23 pts, 13 rbs. 8-16 2ptfg, 2-4 3pt fgs, 2 stls, 3 blks

That's a pretty solid stat line. Don't what this league is about but he has improved since starting.