1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Motiejunas signs two year deal in Poland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Sep 22, 2011.

1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

European club basketball is exactly like the NFL. If you do not perform to your contract - you get cut.

2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

There are not very many instances in the NFL where a player does not play out the rookie year of their contract. So, no; the NFL is not as cutthroat as suggested.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So if DMo gets cut, then that begs the question, what league would be better for him to play in right now to grow into his potential.... Euroleague or the D-League. If the NBA starts up around Christmas then he can sign with the Rockets on a small rookie deal and play solid minutes in the D-League. And which league would Donatas prefer???

4. dobro1229

And your correct that the NFL would almost never cut a rookie they drafted with a ton of potential. Even the Broncos kept Tim Tebow around and their GM didnt even draft him.

The only reason I could see the Polish team he's with cutting him would be because they know he's coming back overseas after the lockout is over anyways.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Motiejunas is way too good to be playing in the D-League.

6. dobro1229

Im sure thats a backhanded comment in Donatas' way, but what would he rather be doing is the question? If he signs with Houston than he's most likely going to be making somewhere between 600K and 900K for his rookie season(depending on when the season starts of course).

So financially I would assume it would make sense for him to come over, even if he has to spend time in the D-League, given that he is doing bad enough overseas to possibly be cut anyways.

7. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Why would he sign with Houston? He has a 2 year contract with Prokom.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The odds of Motiejunas getting cut are pretty much 0%, unless there are some random/unexpected off the court issues.

I also doubt there's much of a difference if in pay. I'd say there's a good chance that he actually would make more money in Poland, tough that's just speculation on my part.

Also, it really isn't so much about what he wants, but rather what the Rockets want. IIRC Motiejunas wants to play in the NBA as soon as possible, but it just might make no sense, as there may be no minutes available.

Personally I think the Rockets should bring him over the moment he'll have a chance to compete for playing time.
    I don't see how the D-League will help his development at all. If there's no oppurtunity for playing time, let him stay in Europe for a year.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Because he wants to play in the best league in the world.

10. dobro1229

You just stated that you think he is going to get cut??? Is he going to get cut, or is he..... nevermind, pointless argument with OHMSS....

11. HMMMHMM

Both D-Mo and Llull will play Euroleague games tomorrow at 2:45PM ET.

Barcelona is pretty stacked, so it'll be a good test for D-Mo. Maybe Prokom can keep it somewhat close.

Milan vs. Madrid should be a good game.

OHMSS was just making a point. Motiejunas getting cut is highly unlikely. He's still one of Prokom's best players.

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I never said anything about him getting cut. Please read what I actually type. I said that if a player was not ready to play for half a season in Europe, due to basically sucking if you will, then he would be cut.

I never said anything at all about Motiejunas being cut.

13. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Real Madrid really needs to remove Llull from the PG position. He's not a PG and it is really stunting his development as a player. He was going fairly well developing as a SG and then they pull this and now he has regressed quite a lot as a player trying to learn how to play PG - which is not even his natural position.

On Another note, I watched the Vitoria-Cantu game. I really don't know what to make of Maarty Leunen from what I saw. I have been waiting to see him play such a game. A road game in Euroleague, against a good team. Granted, it was the first game like that of his career, but,

He has a LONG way to go to even become a solid player at that level. Two games in a row like that, this one against a much better opponent though.

Leunen does the little things, and he is an all round kind of player and he can spread the floor. And he has nice size for a 4, as he is 6-9 and he looks like he is getting much more built also.

But, his offense is basically nothing but stand still wide open 3 points shots, and he is streaky and inconsistent in making them. Other than that, his offense is almost nill.

Then his defense is just miserable. He is an absolutely atrocious defensive player. Eliyahu is way better than Leunen is, at least at this point in time. I mean way better.

14. HMMMHMM

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Well, first DeJaun Blair was cut from his team in Russia.

Then just now Motiejunas' teammate Devin Brown was cut by Prokom.

Both of them due to not playing well enough for what they were getting paid.

So that makes 2 NBA players that went to play in Europe during the lockout that have already been cut for not performing as the teams wanted them too. And a third NBA player that left during the lockout, DaJuan Summers is already said to be on the verge of also getting cut by his team in Italy for poor play.

Not that this means Motiejunas is getting cut. He is one of Prokom's better players and he won't get cut.

But this makes the point for me. Already 2 NBA players were cut and a third is said to be on the verge of it.

European club basketball culture just does not resemble the NBA. If the club thinks you are playing poorly and they are paying you good money and they can get a better player for less - you will be cut, no matter if you an NBA player or whatever.

There just is not the same culture as the NBA, where playing time, roster spots, roles on teams - are very largely determined simply by your contract size.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

It has nothing to do with culture. The NBA has guaranteed contracts. You don't think a few teams would like to cut underperforming players on huge contracts?

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

What word would you use then?

18. HMMMHMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRDDuIfnhQ&t=1m56s

Gotta agree with those guys.

Motiejunas didn't look good at all today. Made a couple of nice passes and a few nice basket moves/cuts, but his engery level was low & defensively he was pretty bad.

Still think he needs to get stronger, especially in the lower body & watch as much film as he can. His defensive fundamentals are poor & he doesn't seem to have the awareness/instincts to not be a weak link on defense yet.
    Those things can be improved upon, but it'll take time.

19. HMMMHMM

Prokom blew out Minsk in their last VTB league game, so D-Mo didn't get/had to play much. 9 points (3/5 1/1 1/1), 3 rebounds & 1 block in 17 minutes.

Another Euroleague game today 3:45PM ET vs. Union Olimpija, who aren't exactly world beaters. However neither is Prokom and it would be very tough to reach the top-16 after a 0-3 start, so it's a pretty much a must win game.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not true at all. There have been plenty of NBA players, who got paid good money and ended up warming the bench the majority of the time. Its just different styles of basketball. There's been non drafted euro guys brought over, are signed to contracts and don't amount to much in the NBA. Except in the NBA, they might be more patient in that they won't cut him after a few games of poor play.