1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mother of 3 dies from drinking water in a Wii contest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AGBee, Jan 14, 2007.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, she definatley should have went Wii-Wii.

2. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

Call my cynical, but I have trouble feeling sympathy for either the girl or the radio station. The station was irresposible for hosting the contest in the first place, but she was equally irresponsible for abusing her body to such an extreme for a stupid video game.

And the whole "didn't know too much water is bad for you" is no excuse. I'd never heard the phrase "water intoxication" before, and even I knew that too much water had to be really bad for you. Too much of ANYTHING is really bad for you.

Sadly, the folks who pay the true price for the stupidity of both the radio station and this woman are her kids, who now get to grow up without a mother.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

40 oz is less than 3 cans of coke, hmm.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

man I'm amazed at some of these responses. She died trying to make her kids happy. Yes it was stupid, but come on, we all do stupid **** all the time.

I'm pretty sure exactly NONE of you are einsteins.

Anyway, I feel terrible for her and her kids.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The other lady drank only 40 oz. The lady that died was given larger bottles after that.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I agree. Everyone does something stupid. And you end up paying for it in a way that you can look back later and laugh a little at how stupid you were. Shake your head and hopefully learn from it.
    This lady did something stupid that unfortunately cost her her life and her children their mother. We should feel lucky our stupidity has never cost us this. And pray for her and her family.

7. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I didn't know anything about water intoxication, never heard of it. I'd think that if you consumed too much of something, that your body would induce vomiting, but maybe the water is absorbed too quickly.

Anyway, sad to hear, but I don't see how anybody can say, "you should have known"......most people probably don't know about this situation.

Most of us are probably guilty of poisoning our bodies with excessive alcohol consumption or other like things....we know it, but do it anyway. Death by drinking water? Wow.....

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Totally agree w/ you.

How many here would know that it would take only about 0.75 gallons of water in one sitting to kill you? And if you limit your salt intake, you can die on only 1/2 gallon.

I'm very sorry for her family.

9. Cohen

I believe that you are correct. Water gets absorbed quickly.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this lady is a freakin idiot......did she not go to school or something?

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I bet a lot of people don't know drinking too much water can kill you. I didn't before hearing this story. I thought the worst that could happen is you would throw up or piss it out.

12. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

so could alcohol intoxication really be a form of water intoxication??
    meaning alcohol and water could really kill you the same.. just alcohol is usually drank more at high volumes in short periods of times.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I thought that, too.

14. Cohen

Don't believe so. Alcohol is a poison. Water dilutes sodium which causes cellular imbalances.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Give credit for a clever one here now, fellas :D

Title was a tiny bit misleading, thinking that Nintendo themselves was somehow involved but it makes sense now...
    This is definitely Lawsuit City. Heck yeah the station has to be held liable. You know for a darn fact when they heard the woman died they thought "Hooooly crap, what did we do? We're in some trouble"

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

quit being a jackass. I was in all upper level high school classes and I took anatomy and physiology in HS and I never knew about water intoxication. I think I learned about it on pbs or on the news or something when I was in college. it was just a random fact I picked up along the way.

so are you always this condescending?

17. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Wow. What school district did you go to? I was under the impression that this was widely known.

Your body is pretty fragile. Too much of anything hurts it.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

no, sadly most people don't know this. Our educational system isn't exactly stellar.

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, i had no idea there was such a thing as water intoxication...

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

langham creek...cy fair isd.

yes too much of anything hurts but I don't think people actually understand how too much water can simply destroy your body's ability to function. I can imagine a lot of people just think if you drink a lot of water then it just goes thru your body and you have to pee really bad and you might pee in your pants if you can't hold it.

I asked my gf if she knew that drinking too much water can kill and she didn't know. hell she didn't even believe me...she thought I was screwing with her. I should have called her an idiot for not knowing!