1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Talented Rook...?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GotGame15, Dec 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

I don't know guys, but how many of us expected to see Griffin as a different type of player? They said that he was the most talented player in the draft. I'm not saying anything about his potential or anything, just asking where is the rest of the talent?

The only facets to his game that have impressed me is his defense and shot. How can he be named the most talented if he can't dribble or drive at all? I know he's 19 and everything, but.......

He is not at all explosive on the offensive end, and I don't mean just dunks....He doesn't drive to the hole or make shots for himself. Other teenagers even did that, like Darius Miles, KG. Not even a good passer. Oh well, I aint trying to get down on him or anything I just wanna know why he was labeled as the most talented rookie when there isn't any signs of anything other than blocking and shooting?

2. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

in terms of pure talent, i think the order goes: Chandler, Griffin, Parker, White, Gasol then Kwame Brown..

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Oscar Torres is better then them all, at least right now.

DaDakota

4. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

How are you defining "pure talent" Dave?

I think Curry should be able to slip onto that list. He's got footwork that some pros have yet develop.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

That's (at least a bit) due to the "Ichiro Factor." Torres has played some form of pro ball for years. In addition to his talent, he has learned poise and maturity. Unfortunately, as good as he is, he isn't a "superstar," so I doubt there will be too many (any?) ROY votes for the dude...

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It took a lot of objectivity to write that GotGame.

I too am disappointed in his willingness to show anything but a love to shoot. Think about this; can you even visualize the last time you have seen him pass? lol! It is hard. However, I could care less about driving ability and playmaking ability if he develops a Rasheed Wallace turnaround jumper. It looks like he can get that off.

How much is your disappointment in wanting to see a Small Forward driver type player?

I'll take Ratliffe with a Rasheed turnaround...anyday....that is hall of fame. Might not be Garnett, but that is a stud, nonetheless.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

We have to be very careful in evaluating Griffin. I do have the urge to say the team would have been better off taking its 3 picks, instead based on what I have seen so far from Griffin and the other rookies. But we should really give him some time. I personally do not like his disposition, little or no emotion. I did see some flashes that would lead you to think that he could be alright, but I have not seen anything to suggest he is a super talent.

Rudy T have not done a good job handling him either.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

As far as OT is concerned, I took the opportunity last week to caution Tmo about his unfavourable evaluation of OT. I mentioned various sources who were impressed like Frazier, Marv, Ainge and Thompson. I then added that he has "prolific scorer potential/abilities". Last night he underscored that point and that is another reason why I am so happy that Rice is injured. OT will have to be a starter, it is as simple as that. The boy is quick and has only struggled because his teamates do not know him yet. When the floodgate burst, please look out. I mean Mobley a couple of times last night waved off OT. That will stop soon as he will this season become as much of an option as Mobes, on offense. Those open looks that Rice and Williams got at the start of the season and could not hit, OT will hit them. He can penetrate, he can catch and shoot and he can post up. Not to mention his defense.

9. ejax06

ejax06 Member

The Rocket's best rookie this season has been Tierre Brown. By rookie, I mean first-year professional -- and since Oscar Torres has played professionally in South America for four years -- he's only a rookie to the NBA -- kinda like the Hideo Nomo situation in baseball. Make no bones about it --- Torres has played great, but I would have to say the best true rookie on the Rockets has been Tierre Brown. He has stepped in and performed well in a back up role. With more experience, he'll be a productive PG in the league for a while. Not sure if Brown is the most talented rookie -- that may be Griffin -- but Brown has definitely been the Rocket's best "professional" rookie so far this season.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can Tierre Brown shoot a left-handed layup?