1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Significant Deadline Deals per SI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mad4snk, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mad4snk

mad4snk Member

Hate to live in the past but I thought this was interesting since today is the trade deadline. It lists 13 of them and yes the Clyde deal was #1... :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu.../02/22/gallery.nbadeals/index.10.exclude.html

Feb. 14, 1995: Houston acquires Clyde Drexler and Tracy Murray from Portland in exchange for Otis Thorpe, the draft rights to Marcelo Nicola and a 1995 first-round draft pick.
    Teamed again with former University of Houston teammate Hakeem Olajuwon, Drexler helped the Rockets repeat as champions and become the lowest seed (No. 6) to win an NBA title. The Blazers used the draft pick on Wake Forest guard Randolph Childress, who played 51 games over two seasons, and they’re still waiting on Nicola’s NBA debut.

If this has been already posted please delete:

2. fredyalvarado

fredyalvarado Member

awsome trade!

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

this is completely random

and i don't remember this fully.

but clyde supposedly walked out with a **** eating grin on his face after the loss to utah in the what was it, 96-97 or 95-96 playoffs?

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

who cares if he had a grin, wasnt that his last game? no sense in letting it get to him, he had a good career and got his championship.

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

wasnt that the game when malone bearhugged maloney and clyde while stockton hit the trey?

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

something like that

7. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

the only good feeling i have from that year is the bulls stopped them from getting their rings :)

8. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

I HATE MALONE!!!! :mad:

I HATE STOCKTON!!! :mad:

I HATE HORNACEK!!! :mad:

I HATE THE JAZZ :mad:

I HATE MYSELF!! :(

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

It wasn't the bearhug year (1997). It was the next year ('98).

The bearhug was at home and he retired the next year, the last playoff game being the Game 5 road loss to Utah in round 1. I remember him being taken out of the game a few minutes early and got an ovation...from the Jazz fans.

And how many championships did they end up with combined?

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

SI better update their list after today's titanic DA for Fitch deal. ;)