1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most perfect steak ever!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

If a steak isn't ribeye, then get it out of my face!

#41 Tigerknee, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Over cooked to me. Rare is the way to go.

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

You're not doing it right.

4. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

This.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

That is going to set you back at least $50-$75. This cost me $6.00 at HEB. And will be better then anything you've had at Ruth Chris. :p

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Don't put gravy on steak. Just buy a better quality steak, marinate it, and cook it in the oven.

7. R0ckets03

ummm...i guess don't ever buy or order a good quality piece of meat. at that temp it doesnt matter.

8. R0ckets03

Prime strip steak is what I cooked. Looked similar to this before grilling:

[​IMG]

This would be a Kobe strip:

[​IMG]

I've had Kobe at restaurants and at home a few times and it doesn't even really taste like steak. Taste like melted butter with a hint of beef flavoring. I'm no expert at grilling Kobe, but I don't think the best way to do it is the traditional way. Hot rocking it with thinly cut slices is the way to go.

Was at Marks on Westeimer a few years ago and their house special was Kobe tenderloin. I asked the waiter how much was it and he said $96 an oz. So for a 10 oz. steak I was looking at a $1000. :eek:

9. R0ckets03

Cannot stress this enough. I used to dig into it right after taking off the grill. All the juices would flow out like a fountain.

Now I wrap it in aluminum foil and let it rest for about 10 min.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Luby's has some of the finest salisbury steak in Houston. Try it, you'll thank me later.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's all pre-cooked now, so it should be cheaper.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You only marinade tough pieces of steak. If its a good steak, all you need is salt and pepper.

13. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Same here. I have to eat any type of red meat cooked well done. If not, it makes my stomach feel weird after

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's all your mind playing games with you. If you were eating a medium steak but you thought it was well done, you wouldn't notice any adverse effects.

15. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I had a friend who was "allergic" to meat, he would start choking and gagging if he tried to eat any, but if he didn't know what he was eating was meat then he would be fine. It all stemmed from a traumatic child experience where he choked on some meat and nearly died. He was thinking about hiring a hypnotist to try to fix the problem. Don't know if he ever did though.

16. R0ckets03

No problem with that. Just don't make the mistakes of paying for expensive cuts of meat.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Absolutely right, and can actually add too much water to the steak, which steams it, thus cooking it prematurely and destroying some of the natural beef flavor. I only use marinade when the flavor of the meat is not as high quality, such as london broil, etc.

18. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Amen! I'll stoop to a T-bone if the prices are right.

Folks who like their steaks well done just don't have a clue as to what a real steak should taste like. Not an opinion - FACT!

Steaks are easy over a charcoal grill. Cook it on a hot a$$ flame 3 to 4 min a side max!!!! If your grill is too high from the coals add some wood to the fire and/or olive oil on the steak to help the flames char the seasonings.

I set the micro wave to time it. Nothing sux worse than over doing a steak.

Nice pic tho. Even though it was a tough a$$ strip ;)

19. R0ckets03

Ribeye just doesn't do it for me. Too fatty. Favorite used to be tenderloin, but the robust beefy flavor of a good strip is absolutely delicious!

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm with the other guys - give me a ribeye or porterhouse/t-bone over any other cut of steak. BTW, I have to disagree with the tenderloin/filet mignon. I think that while it's probably the most tender piece of meat, it's also the most overrated flavorwise.