1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Most overrated player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, May 26, 2009.

?

Overrated?

1. KG

21 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Ray Allen

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Lebron

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Shane Battier

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Yao

25 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. Bynum

137 vote(s)
    55.7%
  7. Kobe

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Carmelo Anthony

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Dwyane Wade

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What no hate for AI?

2. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

He led a crappy sixers team to the finals ..

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Anyone who plays in a uptempo system and puts up big numbers but doesn't play much defense or win:

Amare Stoudemire, David Lee, Leandro Barbosa

Strictly based on his last season, also Ron Artest gets overrated for some reason. He still has the reputation for being a good defensive player when he no longer is and it's not like he's a consistently good offensive player either.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Co-Sign to Allen Iverson to a point. I don't think he can (or ever could) win with a team with other scorers or all-stars on them. See: later 76ers teams (the team actually improved the same season he was traded and made the playoffs, the next year without him entirely), Nuggets, and Pistons. All three of those teams had enough talent quite capable of getting deep into the playoffs, well at least on talent. Yet, none of these teams did anything worth mentioning with Iverson.

The Nuggets are on the verge of a possible upset of 66 win Lakers with simply a trade of Iverson for Billups, signing Birdman, and losing DPOY Camby (who is also overrated and overpaid, should've been on the list originally). With A.I (instead Billups) and Camby, the Nuggets couldn't win won game against 57 win Lakers team from last year (without Bynum).

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

There has not been one single person that I know of to put Howard in the class of LeBron,Wade, and Kobe. You just hate him so much that you act like people put him in that class.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

:confused: But, no one puts him in the same class as them.

He's like the next Vince Carter. Everyone keeps saying he sucks, he's not an elite superstar but no one ever puts him in that category to begin with. It's almost taboo to talk about either of their (VC's or melo's) positive attributes. If you do, you get pounded over the head with how they aren't as good as the other top few wing players. Ohh reeeally! I had no idea! :rolleyes:

EDIT: I need some kind of criteria when discussing an overrated player. Are we talking knowledgeable fans, media hype, coaches/players, or what we gage as the general public's view of a player.

#26 pmac, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think the only legitimate knocks on those two players are not taking their team to another level. But, talent wise they are probably the next best things in the leagues after the Kobe/Lebron/Wade class. I think their curse is not being as good as those 3 I mentioned.

8. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Well there are idiots who think he's Top 5. Not true at all. Dwight Howard is the definition of overrated, especially to idiots like Tim Legler who think he's unstoppable. It's a shame, a guy who gets owned by Kendrick Perkins on offense and defense is considered the best center in the world, even though he's not.

Everybody knows he's a joke already

Everybody knows Odom is mentally challenged, Amare and Bosh are overrated. Nobody remembers Rudy Gay except Grizzlies and Rocket fans.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think amare and bosh are overrated cause they don't seem to be rated that high.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's been the big topic of conversation in the media -- has Melo finally reached the same level as LeBron/Wade/Kobe? And I keep hearing them answering that he needs to do it for an entire season and throughout the playoffs to show he's in that class. And I'm thinking to myself: "do what??" He's never played at their level.

He's had an impressive playoffs, no doubt. But he's just a scorer. And as a scorer, despite what Charles Barkley says, he is not at the same level as the Big Three.

11. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

12. Mr. Space City

from the poll, bynum easily

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yeah, i know but he's one of the only (just a scorer type players) i see getting dogged ALL THE TIME. I think it has alot to do with how people feel about him as a person.

That does bring me to the two types of players that seem to be overrated amongst knowledgeable basketball fans.

1. good perimeter shooters and/or perimeter players with high fg%'s who aren't great playmakers.
    -Danny Granger, Tony Parker, Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Michael Redd, Mike Miller, Monta Ellis, etc.

-Imo having perimeter players who can make plays is more vital than them personally being able to score "efficiently". Alot of times fg%'s fluctuate with the talent placed around a player but court vision and passing don't. A low percentage scorer like Baron Davis creates so many opportunities that it makes a guy like Monta Ellis shoot 53%. Exit Davis, Ellis falls down to earth and the Warriors are garbage.

2. good scoring big men who aren't great defenders or rebounders.
    -Amare Stoudemire, David West, Dirk Nowitzki, Boris Diaw, Lamarcus Aldridge, etc.

-Amare is a walking doormat. What does it matter that you can go off for 30 on a high percentage if the other team is holding a layup drill in your paint?

14. Jackie1221

Jackie1221 Member

Kobe and Lebron

Dwade

others...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That was during the time when EVERY Eastern team was somewhat crappy. So getting to the finals and got crushed by the Lakers was not much of an accomplishment. At least 3 or 4 teams in the West that year could have beaten them handily.

16. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Lamar Odom. All that talent and gifts and he still is not able to put it all together.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

On this list Bynum, immediately takes that spot. I know he has potential, but just because he is stupid young does negate the fact had he been on any other team, he would get the love and potential talk that he does. You barely hear crap about guys like Al Jefferson who has twice as many points per game and just about as many games because of his own injuries.

But because Bynum came a year later, he is suddenly the future best center of the league. Heck, Yao still technically hasn't been beaten one on one for the title and last I heard, people had just started talking about Howard rising to near that level just last season.

On AI, he isn't overrated but he got issues with working with others that will always keep him from the level of greatness other top talents have. A lot of the greats learned to put ego aside at some point, AI apparently hasn't learned that lesson.

18. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Really?

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Andrew Bynum

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron has more votes than dwayne. I mean dwayne gets hurt, lebron doesn't.