1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most NBA "stars" are a bunch of narsissistic self-loving princess divas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by echu888, Jul 24, 2010.

1. echu888

echu888 Member

*rant mode*

Indeed, the inmates are running the asylum. You already have guaranteed money. If that weren't enough, you decide, without playing a single minute in the league, that you will not play for the team that drafted you (Francis). You sign a contract extension and then demand a trade, but not only that, you specify the 2 locations that you WILL go to, Orlando or NY (Paul). You put a tattoo on your back that you're the chosen one, have a statue made in your honor and pose like Jesus in downtown, then host your own one-hour special to announce your "The Decision" :rolleyes: (LeBron). You take the all the responsibility for winning before the series ends but blame everyone around you after you lose, and you quit on the team even while on the court, and go get surgery without even consulting the team. Every team you leave is on bad terms but you trash the other party, of course its their fault (McGrady). You go thru the motions on the court while you dream of glory in a different situation, and you hire a crew to film your courters during free-agency, so that you can put on a multi-part reality TV special about yourself (Bosh). You are so disconnected from reality that you mouth spouts the ridiculousness that a multi-million dollar contract is insufficient to feed your family, yeah, coach choker (Sprewell). on and on and on... The true American Idol of simply "being talented" has given absolute permission for grown men to act like 2 year old children, where, "I WANT IT" is absolutely left unchecked, if not catered to. Character?? Whateva.. psssh, I'm talented, so MINE!

Man, guys like Duncan, Yao need to be given more credit for simply not being a bunch of self-infatuated divas. Good for Morey and Adelman for masterfully isoing T-Mac and carefully managing his ego and parlaying that into opportunity.

I realize that success is, in reality, a far more difficult situation to handle well than hardship. I know that the other leagues have their share of drama: rampant steroids, big ben the rapist, etc., but why has the NBA tended to breed the biggest bunch of princesses in the free world? Bench players in women's college basketball are more man than these bunch of sissies.

1 person likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We'll see how much the inmates run the asylum after the locket next summer and the new CBA. The dynamic between owners and players will probably change quite a bit. NBA players are simply taking all the rope they are given, which is what you'd expect from human beings.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Though I haven't started a dramatic thread about it, I heartily agree with most of what you said.

Hooray for Duncan and Yao.

4. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Dude, you forgot Nash!

5. Raven

Raven Member

The NFL reigns supreme, yet their players have very little power. That's not a coincidence. The more power players have, the more the game suffers because of it.

6. echu888

echu888 Member

Agreed. For the most part, all the guys who pull these stunts aren't necessarily "bad guys." But it's just the system creates monsters, so that when you're the best in the league, you get to act like a puss and get away with it, just like kids who aren't raised correctly run out of control.

I'm wondering how hard the player's union will rail against the terms presented for the CBA, or do they, too, realize that change is due.

LeBron telling Paul to stay in the west so they can create a rivalry? That's cool! What is this, a video game with your buddy? Bunch of 13 year olds.

Here's to Scola, to Deke, to Dirk, and countless others ... guys who can come in, give 100% effort to their work, drama-free. (Yes even Dirk the sissy is less of girl than these other fools)

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How come all the guys you listed as "selfish" are black?

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Conclusion: Black people are selfish? :confused:

9. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

what about kevin durant dude?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is what happens when you let the slaves run the show.

signed
    Jesse Jackson

;)

1 person likes this.
  11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Gotta be kidding.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

They're "divas," as you put it, only because people give into them and give them the most attention.

You mention how Yao and Duncan should be given more credit, but when's the last time you or anyone made a thread "ranting" about how great/humble they are?

13. Chamillionaire

sounds like most people i know. especially at the office. :mad:

14. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

In the entire world, there are maybe 8-10 people who are capable of playing basketball at the elite NBA superstar level. There are 30+ teams. The fact that these guys get away with so much is just the result of supply and demand. Not enough of these superstars to go around, so the teams will bend over backwards and put up their their attitudes. Just for example, Wall Street Journal estimated earlier this month that Lebron James' "true" dollar value to a team is in the $50 million dollar range, thus he is making way more money for the Heat than they are paying him.

If suddenly there were a lot more players capable of playing at the Kobe/Lebron/Wade level, guess what would happen? Salaries would go wayyy down and suddenly teams would have all the leverage.

I guess my point is that we can blame the players, but the reality is that teams want them bad enough to kiss up to them to get an advantage in the race to get them. This idea that this diva behavior is just from this era of players ignores the owners that created and enabled the behavior.

15. Chamillionaire

sounds like most people i know. especially at the office. :mad:

16. spysta

spysta Member

Yes because we all know that NBA players are the ONLY rich and powerful people who are selfish

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The NBA painted itself into this predicament when it started to market the individual superstar instead of team play.

Instead of commercials about the beauty of a pick and roll, a back door cut, and moving without the ball, we get commercials about a superstar doing a dunk or throwing chalk up in the air.

Even though they're not apples to apples, the NBA should look into how the NFL markets itself. (I fully understand that there are more players in the NFL therefore more stars to promote.)

I hope the new CBA cuts out the role players making near superstar money, IMO those type of players making that kind of money are crippling teams' payroll. Superstars are superstars and they will continue to get top dollar, because (contrary to my stance earlier) the NBA can't make big money without the superstars.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

And didnt even mention the easily pointed out "thug" element. Will give credit to the OP for judging specific general behaviors and attitudes, instead of pointing how "gangster" players are.

With more extended coverage around the clock, more sports networks, more markets, more media, more fan sites like Clutchfans, more devices to tune into it, it just increases the player's urge to want to make scenes and create buzz, and increases likelihood of viewers hearing about it.

Its not all just about league control of players. How much more "NBA Cares" campaigns and players ordered to wear SUITS, and players and coaches getting fined for inappropriateness can there be?

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

NFL players are probably on general are probably the dumbest athletes as well. The players are the product of course they should get all the power.

1 person likes this.
  20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

In the Babe Ruth days, the players AND sportwriters would travel and get drunk together. Babe Ruth could stumble in and out the w**** house, wake up the next day, wave hi to the mail man and go do some radio promo ads for products and not see anything about it in the news. When you're the man, you get away with more. An ex-President got a blow job from a female intern on office hours. The JFK files reveal more and more each passing year...

Thing is, when EVERYBODY'S well off making money, the cries are there but arent as severe. When everybody's struggling and poor, understandably the cries about injustices are louder. NOT saying its okay to be an entitled ass, just that its been going on.

But I agree that whatever craft you're in, try to make like your craft actually matters. Against what most guys think, I dont like that about women's sports either. Soon as Anna Kournikova and Williams Sisters get a dose of the celebrity life, sports career suffer :)