1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Likely Opponent is LA Clippers ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by COMPAQ CENTER, Apr 12, 2015.

1. jinyaotmac

jinyaotmac Member

So true, I watched last two memphis games, n they looked very very tired. If Rockets can get the home court, we will easily beat them. :grin:

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Yeah if Gasol has a Papa like ankle injury, I'd take them as well, but ideally still Portland for me (if we don't get the #2 seed) because of POR's injuries at the moment, plus the HC advantage. Also, to me there's not much difference in playing SA or GS 2nd round for the Rockets perspective, so I don't mind 5th at all.

3. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

If the Rockets win out then they have a 96% chance of taking home-court advantage but then if they lose one game that will drop to 35%.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't. Marc Gasol got injured last night. What's up win Conley? Them losing one of the next two seems likely to me.

I think we handle our business and win tonight. End up at 56. Portland is our most likely scenario, imo. Can New Orleans beat the Spurs at home in a do or die situation? I can't wait to see. :cool:

5. iamtvi

iamtvi Member

I don't think it's as simple as that. What about final 30 second strategies where the team down by 5-6 is trying to get back in the game, and trading free throws for three point shot attempts? What about a team fouling to prevent a three point shot in the last few seconds, or fouling to prevent a dunk? All of these are considered "smart fouls" by basketball intelligentsia. What's the difference?

They only allow six fouls per player, so there is no way to perpetually foul all game long.

Hack-a-Shaq is just another weakness-exploiting strategy, just like trying to create defensive mismatches on pick and rolls, or posting up the smaller guards, etc. Exploiting your opponent's weakness is what the game is all about. Yea, it's not exciting, but I don't see how you can realistically change it.

6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

The clippers don't necessarily have it easy with their remaining 2 games. i wouldn't count out the Suns at home. Denver is a weird team. You just never know which team shows up.

7. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Please note that those percentages will change daily and perhaps dramatically so take them with a grain of salt if you may.

8. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Ok lets say the Rockets, Spurs and Clippers win out and the Grizzlies lose one to the Warriors what seed would the Rockets get?

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

I was talking specifically about intentional fouls against players without the ball.

10. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

This is a likely scenario and we will end up with the fifth seed

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think it comes down to who you would rather meet second.

Spurs or Warriors.

I think the Warriors are beatable.

Spurs not so much.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

Rules will not be changed until a entire nation sees what a joke the NBA game has been. Assuming we play the Clippers, they hack our bigs, and we hack D. Jordan, in every game. Let's see how Silver likes a 3 hour NBA game with no fluidity.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I wouldn't mind the Clippers at all. They literally have like 5 relevant NBA players. Atrocious bench.

14. CincyRocket

CincyRocket Member

That seems very optimistic in terms of a 2nd seed, even if we win out. Basically saying there is a 50% that both the Spurs (10-0 in last 10 playing pelicans and suns) and Clippers (9-1 in last ten playing nuggets and suns) with both end the season 1-1. Not too mention the less likely scenario that memphis wins out.

I would say that even if we win out it is <10% chance we get 2nd seed.... but then again I am not a computer.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The only reason I don't want LA is because Harden is atrocious against them. However NBA refs seem to hate them a lot so maybe that will help us

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

5th seed.

it is plausible the grizzlies lose to the warriors. warriors should want to do whatever it takes to avoid spurs until WCF. beating the grizzlies would all but solidify that unless the spurs drop a game. this allows them to play a hobbled rockets/blazers team in the 2nd round.

if the pacers are still in playoff contention they could also give the grizzlies a run for their money. they've been hot since PG's return and the grizzlies are playing bad. even if they are eliminated, vogel isn't the type of coach to just lay down anyways.

we'll need some luck but we need to take care of business first. hopefully we dominate our last 3 games and go into the playoffs with confidence no matter who we play.

17. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

But even if the clippers win out, we still get the 2nd seed by the virtue of us being a division winner.

18. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

My thoughts exactly. Not only do we match up poorly with the Clips, it would also be the ugliest series imaginable.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As long as we are not facing G.S. or S.A. in the first round. Of the next tier of teams, I probably dread the Clippers the most. Even less with no home court advantage.

Who comes out of the 6-3 and 5-4 matchups is really a throw of the dice. Or whose the most healthy and hot. The 1-8 and 2-7 shouldn't last too long.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Finger crossed it is Portland