1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Improved Astros in 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaChamp, Sep 29, 2017.

1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Now that the year is winding down, was thinking of the guys who outperformed expectations this year. Making this list without reviewing stats, just my eyeball test:

1. Peacock - before spring training, I didn't think this guy would make the roster. Thought he would be traded Straily-style. And even after he made the roster, I thought he would still be traded. If you're a long man or spot reliever in the MLB, it's best if you have option years left, which he has none. But his ascension this year is the biggest surprise. Not like finding spare change in that pair of jeans on the floor, like finding a $100 bill under your couch.

2. Marwin - with his defensive versatility, you could make an argument that he's the most valuable player on the team. With what he's done at the plate this year, he might have priced himself out of the Astros dugout when he becomes a free agent in 2019.

3. Giles - he still makes most nervous when he loads the bases with a 2 run lead, but he's gotten out of most jams this year and it looks like his confidence has been increasing every month. True weapon.

4. Bregman - after his slow start followed by his annoying IMs with fans, I thought this dude would fade away. But he has been a stud after the all-star break.

5. Devo - probably would have been number one or two on this list at the all star break, but he's come down to earth a little after an amazing start. Still a great year. Will be interesting to see if his role changes over the next couple years, perhaps to 8th inning setup guy.

Honorable Mention: Musgrove has really blossomed in the bullpen after a rough month or so of shaky starts.

Altuve, Correa and Springer are having spectacular years; fortunately or unfortunately for them, it's expected.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marisnick should be third. He hit better than the starting DH and LF. Marisnick has not been known for hitting better than many people.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, but I actually think his defense dropped off a bit.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Peacock has turned in to a solid number 2 guy in this era of baseball.

5-6 innings of 2 or less runs.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe so, but still probably third in improvement assuming Correa not eligible. Correa's improvement is probably about that of Marisnick's though with a much higher starting point. Injury masked how well Correa was breaking out this year.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Giles hasn't really improved, he just had a bad year last season. This is the guy we expected all along.

Peacock and Marwin on the other hand came completely out of f**king nowhere. I would say Peacock is the bigger surprise because at least Marwin was a useful utility guy. There was nothing about Peacock that suggested he was gonna suddenly be good this year, much less awesome. He had a decent stretch to close out last season, but the peripherals were the same trash he always produced, just a ton of BABIP luck.

Both of their years suggest potential sustainability as well.

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think by the time the playoffs are done, we'll be able to bump Musgrove up from honorable mention. I think he's going to be a real weapon in the playoffs and he has looked fantastic since moving to the pen.

8. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Giles seemed to have little confidence last year, and he seems to have a ton right now. I consider that an improvement, but I do get your point that what we're seeing this year is what we thought we would have seen last year.

9. HTM

HTM Member

Can Reddick count or no because he was not a Astro last season?

He is having a really fantastic year.

eric.81 and kaleidosky like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love Peacock but you got to have Marwin at the top of this list.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One reason Springer has ascended...

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Mar-Go. Should have made the all star team also

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

His plate discipline has been borderline elite this year. He is a really patient hitter now. He has MVP potential, but I fear Correa is just to good.

What a problem to have. I could argue that the AL MVP this year(Altuve) may be our third most valuable player by next year. CRAZY.

eric.81 and NewRoxFan like this.
  14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm only quoting this so it shows up twice. What a time to be alive.

tmacfor35 and NewRoxFan like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And add to the above... having trouble telling Dallas Kuechel that he won't be the starting picture of game 1, and struggling to make a decision on who will start game 3 (thinking Peacock still). Oh, and looking forward to seeing Kate Upton at the World Series. :D

eric.81 likes this.