1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Most famous person of the 20th century?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Most famous person of 20th century?

1. Mahatma Gandhi

4.4%
  2. Albert Einstien

17.0%
  3. Michael Jackson

19.9%
  4. Pope John Paul

0.5%
  5. Nelson Mandela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michael Jordan

4.9%
  7. Princess Diana

0.5%
  8. Muhammad Ali

1.5%
  9. Elvis

2.4%
  10. Adolf Hitler

49.0%
  1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Centenarians ITT

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Not to throw my own thread off topic, but I think thats always been one of the greatest issues the Middle East and especially Palestinians have had. A great leader who can unite everybody by preaching non-violence.

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

On your list, only Hitler and Einstein could stand the test of time. Others would pass by as another historical figure.

In many other countries, Hitler was known as a symbol of 2nd world war. In their history, many figures are considered
    more evil than Hitler.

#63 snowmt01, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

I think you're missing the point. Hitler is famous now, in our time and a few more generations. Just like Genghis Khan. But after centuries have passed, he's only known in history books. I'm sure the people who lived during Khan's time would rate him as most famous because of his impact. But as time goes on, these guys fade.

But consider Einstein, his face is the face of science. He's not just in history books, but also in science books and children's books. That's important. There is no face more recognizable than Einstein's face.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

comparing mj to britney spears? you must be joking!

he may be right - mj is possibly the most well known person of the 20th century, including hitler or einstein - everyone, from the manhattan socialite to the starving ethiopian, black or white or brown or yellow, muslim, christian, zoroastrian, american, african, siberian, australian aboriginal, north korean, madagascarian, sri lankan, amazonian knows his music.

i bet there are plenty of places you can go in the world where people dont know hitler, but they know michael jackson.

but my pick would have to be...
    [​IMG]

maybe not the most famous, but had arguably the biggest (positive) cultural impact - they changed not only music, but youth culture in general - fashion, politics, drug use - the beatles had the biggest, most lasting impact on the world.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You do realize that China has a 93% literacy rate. India is at 74%.
    Let's say that all of China knows Mao and only 1/3rd know Hitler. And let's say 1/3rd of India knows Hitler. That's about 750million people right there. Add in a higher rate (say 50% average including the rest of the third world countries) in the rest of the world and you have over 3billion people who know who Hitler is.
    Now going to all these 3rd world countries, how many do you think know who Mao are? Even if you give all of China to know Mao you're still talking 2billion overall... maybe. Mao didn't hardly affect the rest of the world.

7. Yonkers

Like Newton? Or Da Vinci? Still well known to be sure but not anymore so than Attila the Hun or Genghis Khan?

8. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

Crap. Voted for the wrong person. I was trying to pick Michael Jackson.

9. Tree-Mac

Why is the slutty Princess Diana on the list? The one who cheated on her husband? Such fame, huh?

I know I sound like I'm all over Einstein's jock, but I really don't get why this is even a debate?

How in the world can Hitler be more famous than Einstein? :confused:

10. Tree-Mac

None of the guys you listed compare to Einstein. And really, who's Attila? You see, Einstein's face is the reprentative face of science. Cartoon shows these days have him. Children's books have him. Kids don't know what E=mc2 is, but they sure recognize it and the man behind it.

But Hitler did not impact much in Asia. Centuries from now, Asian countries, they'll just mention him when talking about Europen history (that is if they talk about European history).

But Newton and Einstein will still be mentioned worldwide to children.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pelé is the real answer

12. R0ckets03

I'm not asking for the most "popular" or the "most liked". Just famous. That you go anywhere in the world and ask a random person and I think they would know who Einstein, Hitler, M. Jackson and Gandhi are.

13. R0ckets03

And Muhammed Ali definitely would be in the top ten IMO. Everybody knows who he is.

14. Tree-Mac

But you're asking for the most famous of the 20th century. We're in the 21st. So in a few more centuries, how would these people rank? On your list, there is only one person who will be mentioned in school texts around the world a few centuries later, and that is Einstein. Not Hitler. There were many ruthless asian rulers, they are not mentioned (maybe briefly) in western history books. The same goes with asian texts concerning western history. Take the first emperor of China, who buried the educated people alive. What's his name? You see?

15. Yonkers

That's the modern media. Einstein has the benefit of the love of the people and the modern media's wont to exploit what people love. We see a whole lot about Hitler as it is. And if it wasn't illegal in a lot of countries to even mention the guy, we'd see more.
    I voted Einstein but now I think Hitler is probably correct.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Agreed. No Asian nations were even involved in World War 2!

17. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I think more people know Hitler, and it more important to know of Hitler

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ALI! ALI! ALI!

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Toss up between Muhammad Ali and the Beatles.

20. Tree-Mac

I see your sarcasm. But pretty much the whole Europe was under control of the Mongols and they are only briefly mentioned when I was in school. And asian countries have longer history timeline than western countries, they have more to teach their children, so WW2 is not as big as it is to asian countries than to the western countries. Sure the modern media exploits Eintein's image, maybe giving him an advantage over Hitler, but that is not what the OP is asking.