1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

most dissapointing Rockets all-time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jim Pankovitz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Over the last 30 years or so, who would you say were the most dissapointing Rocket players? These are players out of College or that came to us from another team that you had high expectations for but didn't pan out. I'll start by telling you mine. These are in no particular order as they are off the top of my head.

1. Scottie Pippen - Most would probably pick this guy but honestly, I wasn't all that excited to get him so therefore wasn't so much dissapointed in his performance as I was just mad about it.

2. Stromile Swift - we knew he wasn't perfect but we all thought he would help. He didn't.

3. Derrick Chevious - Was pretty good in college and we really needed a small forward to take over for the TERRIBLE Buck Johnson. He was a total bust.

4. Mike James - I thought this guy was was the answer to our scoring woes when he was signed. The kind of player to put us over the top. He shot himself out of the rotation very fast and then he was gone. Complete waste of time.

5. Bryce Drew - I think we all wanted him to succeed. But it turned out he just wasn't NBA material. Had a few good games but overall I was dissapointed in his play. His value as an NBA player was never more obvious than after he left the Rockets. Dude stayed in the league what? 2 more years?

6. Bastjan Nachbar - I had real high hopes for this guy. At the time he was drafted I thought we had a real sleeper. I was wrong.

7. Joe Barry Carroll - He was frustrating for the Warriors too but the guy had loads of talent. He was a washout here.

8. Walter Berry - I know I know. He was a druggy and obviously not over his problems when he joined our team "poised" to make a comeback.

9. John Lucas - Great player but his cocaine problem might have cost us a title. He was the team leader when it happened and although we banded together and made a title run, his absence became more glaring over the next couple of seasons.

10. Sleepy Floyd - Was supposed to settle the point guard situation and did OK but he never elevated our team to the next level. He got his numbers, although down from his G.S. numbers, but we wallowed in mediocrity during his tenure as a starter.

11. Vernon Maxwell - I loved him all the way until he bailed in the playoffs. Extremely dissapointing.

12. Buck Johnson - a few years before the 2 championships we had 4 really good starters on the court. Buck was the weak link at SF and I always believed it was the reason we couldn't break through. He was a soft slasher with no jumper and no intensity. Completely lame player. It still baffles me that he was our starting SF for like 3 or 4 straight seasons.

Thats all I got right now. Im sure I am forgetting a few big ones. Chime in!

2 people like this.
  2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Pippen by a landslide.

Not even close.

3. ibm

ibm Member

eddie griffin

sf3

mcgrady

4. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Tracy McGrady should be on that list. At that time, I thought there could be a possible dynasty especially when Yao was young at that time. Pippen would still probably be first though, I just believe McGrady is in the Top 5 without question, unless you had no high hopes for him, unless you were against the trade, then you are just a smart dude.

Also throw in Bonzi Wells, but you can't blame him since Jeff Van Gundy screwed him up.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato is in there...

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

LOL at EG not being on the list.

Also you should specifiy the latter Mike James (who?) becuase the first go round was very nice. (2004-2005 season forever!)

7. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Yes of course McGrady but he has been an all star while here. I definitely flat out forgot Bonzi. He should absolutely be on the list.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

bonzi wells.

9. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Yes I also forgot Eddie Griffin. HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT AND WE TRADED 3 PICKS FOR HIM!!!!

It was because of Mike James' first go around with us that I was so dissapointed in his second stint.

10. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

I wonder how many people will say McGrady on yet another cleverly disguised T-mac hate thread.

11. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

LOL that was not my intention but it certainly would have been clever.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Eddie Griffin.

We spent THREE 1st Round draft picks on the guy and I think that is still the most ever traded to one team during the same draft night. He had all the potential in the world and just couldn't get it together and to this day I think the Rockets gave up on him, as a human being and not as a player, all too early.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

2 that are somewhat related:

Charles Barkley
    Ralph Sampson

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Man, if only ____ hadn't gotten injured." Disaapointing for what could have been.

Other than that- Eddie Griffin.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

15. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Calvin Cato

Vin Baker

Ryan Bowen

16. steddinotayto

I forgot about Sampson (though it's easy for me since I was born in 82). I think Sampson and Griffin should be #1 and 2, respectively.

Just thinking about how the Rockets could have landed Drexler and the 1984 #2 pick for Sampson just makes me shake my head, though I'm sure the ones that were old enough to live through that era probably don't want to be reminded

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just for the hell of it, I'll name somebody probably not many people would name : Steve Harris out of Tulsa. The outside gunner who never was.

Hell, throw Dave Jamerson in there as well.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Also, if you're going to throw Lucas in there, you may as well complete the Triumvirate of Fail : Lew Lloyd and Mitch Wiggins. Those 3 killed a possible Rockets dynasty-in-the-making.

19. steddinotayto

Hahha Dave Jamerson. Man, I remember him. Has there been a team with more Great White Hype Busts than the Rockets in the past 20 years?

20. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

Kelvin Cato maybe. He was a back up center before we got him and though we threw tons of money at him, I never expected all that much from him.

Vin Baker was a lost cause before we got him. His skills were already eroded because of his intense alcoholism. I didn't expect anything out of that. Was hoping for a storybook kind of thing but was not shocked when it didn't happen.

Ryan Bowen? He played his guts out for us and anybody expecting big things from that guy is an idiot. Very limited player and we knew that.