1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most dissapointing Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BullFan, Feb 9, 2005.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Every single one of us saw Scottie Pippen winning championships alongside Michael Jordan. So we would have thought that was the case bringing him in to play with Dream and it blew up in our faces.

Griffin is 2nd worst.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

What is more disappointing than a player called the Franchise who never realized his immense potential? It might still happen, but he didn't do it as a Rocket.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i didn't expect anything from pippen so is was no dissapointment for me. I have to say Griffin:(
    But i wasn't a basketbal fan in 86 so i do not know players in those years.

4. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Toss up between Pippen and Barkley.
    Barkley played better than Pippen, but Pippen didn't cost us our entire future (Cassell, Horry and Chucky Brown) like Charles did.
    My expectations were about the same for them.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think I can say this man was the biggest bust IMHO

6. brush

brush Contributing Member

Griffin set the franchise back for at least 3 years. He is the main reason that Rockets doesn't have many good young players to play along with Tmac and Yao.

However, according to Rockets recent draft record besides Mobley, I doubt we could have got much luck to really get a stud. So I don't blame Griffin for Rockets' problem.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd have to give Pippen the nod. We acquired him to prop up our flagging championship hopes and give Barkley and Dream another shot at the ring. Maybe we wouldn't have gotten there anyway, but Pippen's craptacular contributions precluded any championship hopes. Griffin cost us a lot too, but he didn't cost us a shot at the championship.

8. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Zan Tabak

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't bash Jamerson. He ran a mean bball camp I went to ;)

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Griffin going away.

Too much hype for this inmature loose cannon.

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Lou Lloyd, Mitchell Wiggins, Eddie

Anytime you squander an opportunity because of stupidity it is a dissapointment.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good ones guys. I forgot about Lucas, Lloyd, and Wiggins. Add those 3 to my list of Pippen and Griffin.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Did everyone forget about Maloney?

He's still a Rocket...sorry b*stard. :mad:

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What's his potential to you? To me, he reached his potential a long time ago now he's one of the top 5 or so PGs in the league, top 20 or so players in the league. Maybe you expected him to be top 3 and top 10?

The more disappointing player is Eddie Griffin who never put forth the effort to improve and a guy the Rockets gave up a lot for. Remembering him play in college I thought the Rockets and Francis had their forward of the future, something they never had during Francis' time here. I really expected Griffin to grow and become the anchor of a front court that before Yao's second season was always one of the worst in the league. What happened was that he never improved as a Rocket, (according to some who followed him he never improved after high school) Kenny Thomas became a better player and now the one guy he reminds me of is a poor man's Brian Cook, now that's disappointment.

He was only called the Franchise because his last name is Francis, that nickname is one reason why he's on these kinds of lists, it set unrealistic expectations on him. The expectations he never reached are unrealistic set by people, like you, who want to put him down instead of appreciating him for the player he is.

He did everything he could to win games here as he is in Orlando, he commits mistakes on the way, and people love to focus on them instead of the positives he brings to the game. It makes zero sense to me when people say he's a disappointment, if you REALISTICALLY look at his talent level he has SURPASSED his peak as a basketball player based on pure effort and his competitive attitude. If you realistically look at his teams they have always met or even exceeded expectations according to the talent level on the team. Unlike guys like Stephon Marbury who have more individual talent but no clue how to use it, don't understand what the word sacrifice means, show no pride when losing, and would rather look good in a stat sheet than look good in the standings.

Unlike some dudes here I'm proud to say Steve Francis was a Houston Rocket, the only disappointed is that the Rockets were never able to put a team worth remembering around him, but at the same time happy because he's the number one reason why we have this current team.

15. ClockworkOrange

francis was dope, i dunno what the hell some of yall were talking bout him being a disappointment? when rudy was here, francis caught fire, but then gundy came around and slowed everything up, that's not how francis play.....

and i agree...its either Pippen or Griffin, also Mo...he was dope in LA...wtf happened?

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is this not OUR OPINION as to who was the most disappointing Rocket of all time? It is not the most "hated" Rocket (that would be Pippen, of course), but the most disappointing. And, my vote stands.

No one disappointed me more as a fan night in and night out as Steve Francis, who, I will always affectionately remember as Mr. Net Zero, because his brain numbing mistakes generally cancelled out his positive contributions. He ran furiously "in place" for five frustrating years.

Some of you are historical revisionists, you remember highlight reels. This guy drove many of us crazy for 400+ games. And for the five years he was a Rocket, I would rate him near the bottom as a "point guard." Compared to the true point guards in the league like Nash or Bibby, he was not even close.

IMO, Mr. Steve Francis is the most disappointing Rocket of all time.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Was Francis brought in to win championships? No. He was brought in to revamp a franchise living off of washing up superstars making their farewell tour. That is exactly what he did.

Pippen on the other hand.....
    We bring him in because we see him winning championships playing alongside Michael Jordan and reason if he can do it with MJ, he can do it with another one of the game's all-time greats in Dream (and Barkley as well)---it just never happened.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would choose barkley. I know we got him past his prime but I was expecting a ring when i saw him suit up to be a rocket. Pippen is the most hated here but I honestly think if it was a tandem of dream drexler and pippen instead of dream drexler and barkley... it would have been a diff story. Drexler was not very happy when charles came into houston either. I remember him saying that he agreed with pippen on his comments about charles.

19. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

...most definitely EG, gave up three 1st round picks for him, never really showed consistant effort, never grew up. Definitely had the physical tools, just couldn't put together the mental aspects.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You're titled to your opinion, but we got exactly what Francis advertised, athleticism-highlight reel plays-and scoring.

He got his 20-6-6 everynight and gave it his all. Eddie was suppose to be the next face of the Rockets, we gave up 3 1st round picks for the guy and he amounted into nothing.

Eddie had all the talent in the world to make him a star, but the guy's attitude and work ethic was terrible. And above all, he screwed himself over and the team because of dumb mistakes, and it costed us BIG TIME.

Eddie Griffin is no doubt the biggest Rocket disappointment.