1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mosque mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Mar 14, 2019.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He explains a lot of this in his writing.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Shouldn't there be a distinction between mentally ill and just bad person?

robbie380 likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Satisfaction? It’s nothing remotely close to that. The guy was clearly not a nut case and he was backing points of view that are not too far outside of the mainstream to be honest.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They wanna be heard. When the media publishes their manifestos they encourage the next guy

This a legitimate criticism that comes up when this happens

malakas likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Is a soldier that wipes out a wedding party with the push of a button mentally ill? Is an executioner flipping the switch on dozens of inmates a year mentally ill? What about a gang member who shoots up an apartment building from his car window? Or some Islamic extremist blowing himself up in a hotel lobby?

People are trained and conditioned to commit these acts. Automatically brushing these actions off as those of someone with a screw loose is lazy and dangerous.

Of course it does if there are millions of others believing the same things. Does radical Islam matter?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The politicians, writers, tv and radio hosts who share his view points also need to be confronted. That is why you can’t simply ignore what the terrorist wrote. He took extreme actions but his philosophies were not uncommon ideas.

To be put it bluntly there is almost no way that you can convince me that it is bad to understand what he wrote because he was right on the edge of being mainstream with his views.

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

To add on

1.5 million Muslims could be detained in China's Xinjiang

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ned-in-chinas-xinjiang-academic-idUSKCN1QU2MQ

9. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Whenever one of the shootings happen, you can post how religion is just another dividing factor. That if somebody was hating someone for being brown, you would have a united front amongst black people, Hispanics, and other minority races which is not something haters want. It’s much easier when you can divide them and make them weaker so you can take all your anger out from your unsuccessful life on them.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Understanding what he wrote is different than glorifying it and I think that point gets lost sometimes.

I have read the Unabomber Manifesto from back in the mid 90's several times..... and I can understand what he is saying (and some of it has happened), but it doesn't change the fact that reading what his philosophy only made me realize just how wrong his actions were.

Same with the Turner Diaries, I have read them and if anything, it only pointed out how poorly educated and stupid the White Nationalist Movement is....

I've read Mein Kampf as well.

11. Nook

Nook Member

malakas and robbie380 like this.
  12. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Honestly, until they take away semi automatic weapons, I don’t see any other solution than just dropping religion altogether

Also, if you have kids then I would not send them to public school in a state where guns are legal

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thank you durvasa, for being a voice of reason. ChrisBosh is off his rocker for blaming Sam Harris for this. Criticizing an ideology is one thing - and Sam Harris is of course both completely right and in his right to do so. Advocating or encouraging murder is something completely different, and he has clearly not done that.

By that logic, anyone who criticizes dangerous elements of political Islam condones this horrific attack or encouraged it? What kind of messed up logic is that?

This Australian senator is a d******d as well. What he is saying is awful and disrespectful - shortly after almost 50 Muslims has been murdered, he blames...Muslims and immigration? wtf

To me, Nazis like the terrorist who did this and Islamists (and other religious extremists) who murder people are actually very, very similar ideologically. Each of them thinks their ideology somehow justifies murder of innocent people. Both is fascist fanatism.

Anyone who murders someone else because of a fanatical belief in an ideology is a terrorist. I just wish people wouldn't use horrible events like this to score political points.

DonnyMost and Nook like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Love would win even more if atheists were invited to participate as well

Harrisment and Nook like this.
  17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That would make a great thread, I think, fwiw. Both just for philosophical discussion...but also because it's a very real, relevant question.

18. malakas

malakas Member

So people fighting for freedom of their nation are terrorists? Sounds very Metternich ian.
    If they can win then they can be later heroes but otherwise we can out here label them all as terrorists.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What im saying is that if this guy didn't hate Muslims it would be something else.

As far as your radical Islam question, these guys arent part of large terrorist groups. Different subject

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

His maifesto doesn't need to be published for whom you want to be confronted to be confronted

Its just hate and a disturbed mind. Its not complicated