1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mosque = big story, Republicans block aid to 9-11 victims = non story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

That post was just painful to read.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the problem though with the Randian view and the argument about force in an representative democracy. The purpose isn't just to protect your right to life it is protect our right to life. That is why the Constitution speaks of the "People" which while fundamental isn't something that is absolutely defined what is the "people". Is it just citizens or is it anybody? Heck at the writing of the Constitution it didn't include blacks.

Where you might say imposition of something is a moral opinion someone else might say that is a necessity to protect the people, such as in regard to drug laws. So while I might not agree with those whose opinion is that we need mar1juana laws I don't consider it force that my tax dollars pay to enforce those. I just happen to be on the losing end of democracy but the beauty of it is that I can still try to change things democractically.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know, but if they did, they were likely the same kind of complete ass clowns who claiim that:

1) September 11 hijackers flew the first plane into the 3rd floor of the Burlington Coat Factory on Park Place, then vertically up 1000 feet and the right and into the North Tower;

2) Various states have budget surpluses when in fact they uniformly have deficits;

3) Thinks that the greatest economic disaster since the great depression has no discernible effect on fiscal policy; and:

4) Aid to 9/11 first responders is a sinister plot to reward illegal alien NYFD and NYPD personnel, whose ranks are apparently teeming with immigrant scofflaws.

In the band of merry idiots posting silly things on this forum, you are the fat guy with the Sousaphone who keeps falling over and whose pants are falling down. I'm guessing it's on purpose at this point. Enjoy, tubby.

2 people like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I am pretty sure the courts view the phrase "the people" as American citizens. Illegals have the right to try to obtain citizenship in the United States so how this citizenship is obtained is appropriate discussion for our democracy and an appropriate application of force according to Rand (I actually agree that a bill should be introduced making these people citizens. I did a poor job of explaining that a few posts up).

How would someone claim using force and my money to tell me and others what drugs we can and can't put in our body is anything other then a moral opinion. I agree there are some gray areas that I don't know how Rand would feel (like age limits; those are moral opinions) and that's why I don't call myself an Objectivist, but I don;t think the FDA or drug war is one.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

grammar actually

also review the use of "your" vs "you're"

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

He used the term English in his post, so I did as well. Did you really jump in this thread to tell me of a grammatical mistake in my posts?

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Please go into more detail regarding the FDNY and NYPD hiring those in the country illegally as first responders. I am sure that there are many people that would like to know about this.

If the bill is crafted in such a way as to allow the money to be spent on ANYTHING other than providing assistance to those that risked everything on 9/11, then it needs to be amended.

If providing assistance to those brave men and women costs $10 billion, then so be it. If it costs less, the remainder should not be available to the local government to do with as they please.

Something reasonable needs to be done and done quickly so that those heroes can be given what they need.

The fact that both parties are apparently using this as a political football is shameful.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

America has lost it's way. It's moral compass was the constitution and now that's being sacrificed to win a few votes.

I guess this is how great countries decline.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Your melodramatic posts are so ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why are you such an angry man?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Some of your desperate, melodramatic, verbose cries for attention remind me of MacBeth.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good question. His future looks quite bright to me.

I mean really, how can there be such a sinister plan that could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man.

Maybe he's fooling himself if he doesn't believe it. He's kidding himself if he doesn't believe it.

1 person likes this.
  14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

^^^ nice! repped!

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please stop quoting from the secret forum! It flew right over his head anyway... ;)

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I guess he just has to get up, and get back on his feet
    He's the one they can't beat and he knows it
    Come on, let's see what he's got
    and I hope he takes a better shot and doesn't blow it.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There will always be a party for the rich and stupid. Americans, the Real ones that is, have short memories.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Technically it would be a party for the Rich or the Stupid. The people in the party tend to be either or, not both.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I have been wondering the same thing about you.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You betcha I'm angry about this issue. That doesn't make me an angry man though.