1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mortgage Rates?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by firecat, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

So we are in the processing of selling our house to buy a new one. I talked to our mortgage guy today and he said that he can lock me into the current rate of 4.125% 30 year fixed right now if I want to.

I like that rate but we don't the house that we want to purchase under contract yet because we are having to wait on the 8-day option period for the buyers of our current house before we can submit an actual offer for the new house.

I'd hate to lock into the rate and then have our purchase not go through, but I don't really want to wait if the rates are going to go up dramatically in the next week or two.

My question is whether or not you think that the rates will stay about the same or if I should go ahead and lock. Or even if you think that they might go lower and we should look out for a better deal.

2. SunsRocketsfan

dude i doubt anyone here can tell you if rates will go up or down. It's just anyone's guess. But I think its safe to say that rates will not be moving significantly up or down in the next week or two. Worst case scenario rates vary by .25% max from week to week.

3. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I would look closly at the GFE you got from the mortgage guy and find out what exactly you are paying to get that rate. That rate looks like one that comes with high fees and may or may not be a good deal.

4. Asian Sensation

This.

If you think the monthly mortgage looks fine just lock it. Worst case scenario the monthly difference is going to be + or - 10 bucks or so. If that's gonna make or break you you shouldn't be purchasing a new home anyways.

5. DarylMoney

DarylMoney Member

Rates are at historic lows...I was locked in at 4.25 a few weeks ago with 0 points. They have fallen more since.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

refinanced ours at 3.87 last week...from 5.87...whew!

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

how much was your closing costs to refinance, if you don't mind me asking.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I need to refinance a heloc. anyone getting these awesome rates from chase? don't wanna have to come up with a new escrow in the interim of closing the deal.

9. firecat

For 4.125% it would be $2000 at closing. I can get 4.25% with no costs. Ends up being $30/month difference. So would take 5 years to get $2000 back.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow! Nice! Grats!

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Last Wednesday had the lowest rates in years. It gradually went up the next two days and stayed about the same for most of the morning today, but then it got worse in the afternoon.

I don't think you'll see any dramatic swings in the next week or so.

You really have to do the math yourself on some of these stuff. Sometimes paying a small bit of closing cost in exchange for a lower rate is worth it if you're not planning on doing any refi for a while.

That's some dramatic swing for going up one level. You should probably ask how long they were planning on locking your rate, as different periods have different penalties on the credits you're receiving from the bank to pay your closing cost. They're probably busy and planning on doing a 45-day or more lock on your rate.

12. firecat

Thanks for the replies everybody. Hopefully we can get everything to go through and get the house that we really want.

13. RocketRaccoon

4k. We also bought a point @ 1K.

---

Thanks, Xerobull

1 person likes this.
  14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Yep, we are in the process of refinancing ours from 6.375% to a lower interest rate...still undecided if we want to change to 15 year loan which means lower interest rate but higher closing costs and monthly payments.

15. RocketRaccoon

We went from a 30 year to a 15 year and only increased our monthly by $70. Of course we did this after our initial down and principles passed 20%, which allows us to pay our own insurances and taxes.

The whole idea is to have our 3 homes paid off in 10 years...about the time I'll be thinking about retiring. :p

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm going to be buying my first home sometime in the next 3 months. Looking for some advice about lending. Should I really just focus on who has the lowest rate? Are things like building a relationship with a particular bank/credit union, or looking into customer service, not really an issue?

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Just refinanced to 4.8 from 5.8. No closing costs. (You win, but I kept the 30yr) ;)

18. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

no closing costs? How did you do that?

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Chase has my mortgage, and they offered the new rate with no closing costs, i.e., Chase paid them.

How did I get that offer? Not really sure honestly.

20. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

In process of refinancing at 3.85% from 5.375%(from 30 year to 15 year) locked in two weeks ago. Only issue I am having is Home owners association is refusing to sign a subordination agreement. Not real sure what that is, but the finance company says we can get around it by going to a different title company.

According to my lender, rates have been going from 3.75% to 4.25% over the last month.

Good luck!