1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mortgage Papers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Oct 14, 2010.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Been following this for a while... seems like a decent time to post on it.

Here's more...

This could get messy.

1 person likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah this is a complete train wreck. i don't really understand how this all going to be worked out.

3. rimrocker

We had a chance to blow it up and get rid of the crooks, but we went TARP and all that other crap. Now, we're in a similar spot. We need to lock these losers up and put in place a financial system that will work for America. I want the pain now so my kids won't have it so acutely.

1 person likes this.
  4. rimrocker

Krugman today...

We're screwed and they're about to come back for seconds.

5. rimrocker

More info...

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Isn't this mess more about the transfer of the loans between the various entities then about the loans themselves (which is a separate matter around predatory lending).

Except for isolated incidences I haven't heard of homeowners being declared in default when they were not (in a laymans definition of what would be a default), or held to terms they explicitly did not agree to. (again -- recognizing the deceptions around the granting of the mortgages).

Just more appalling sloppiness and arrogance by the industry. Any 'damages' however, are likely to be perceived misrepresentations by industry players on industry players and investors, banks and the like. Lots of fun and billable hours for the lawyers, I suppose. Maybe an "out" for borrowers -- though it seems a backdoor way of getting resolution for lending abuses that were quite separate from this particular mess.

No way Benzinga's suggestions fly. Especially the one about get a free house if the bank doesn't have the original note, or indefinite owner occupancy regardless of default. Those who paid for their homes will be very pissed!

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Lawyers

In the absence of title exchanges and with an undetermined ownership wouldn't homeowners have the ability to claim ownership of their homes through Adverse Possession?

Live in the house, pay the taxes, file against any foreclosure without proper documentation?

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'm waiting for Kevin Martin's input.

9. Major

Major Member

Agreed - this seems more a problem of technical and arcane rules (for example, most states require paper documentation of things where the bank may have an electronic version) than any major economic issue. It could easily be resolved by passing a simple law that changes the definition of what is acceptable.

There will still be the loans where you have a real problem of lack of information, but it would resolve 99% of the problem fairly simply and probably fairly.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, but does it seem fair to change the laws after the fact to help the banks when the same laws were applied for many years strictly and are still being applied strictly against small folks and small businesses?

Just another version of too big to fail or perhaps as also seen too big to apply the law to. Eventually after the distractions with homos, abortions, illegals, Muslim mosques etc. we might have the type of public awareness which will have the public demanding enough financial reforms to overcome the cash to politicians by the corporations and their propaganda onslaught by Fox and other media.

It is a little thing to big banks with millions of mortgages but to the average person their house is extremely important to them financially and emotionally.

11. Major

Major Member

No - I agree. That doesn't seem fair at all. I'm not sure what the ultimate solution is, but I don't think it will be that millions of people will get free homes after failed foreclosures. I think that would be a terrible result - basically, it would incentivize people to stop paying their mortgages and see if they would get a free house as a result if the bank doesn't have good paperwork. And those that are current on their mortgages are going to feel like they were screwed over and others got free stuff, causing even more resentment amongst the middle and lower classes.

But like you said, it doesn't make sense to just let the banks off the hook either. It will be interesting to see how this all gets resolved, because it's certainly a complete mess.

12. Major

Major Member

To clarify (since my two posts seem opposites) - I think changing the law would result in a fair end result since those homes haven't had their mortgages paid and should be foreclosed. But I don't think the process would be fair at all since the banks agreed to certain technical rules and didn't follow them, whereas mortgagers don't get that same leeway.

13. rimrocker

Yeah, but I'd rather see my ******* neighbors with a smirk than see one more dime go to the mfing banks.

14. Dubious

You say you want a Revolution
    Well you know

15. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

don't understand why this is a big issue.

The bank should give extension to some homeowners who have short term financial difficulties, but for other deadbeat they should not stay in the house they couldn't afford.

16. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

It would take like 20 years in most jurisdictions for adverse possession to come into play, and that would be with a single lender. Of the sub-prime mortgages that are out there probably less than a percent of a percent would fall into that category.

17. Dubious

snow: because of the sheer mass of numbers, the legwork to make determinations would be impossible. If banks have people signing 500 affidavits a day, how would they possibly come up with the man hours to see who might pay and wouldn't.

The chaos will be hilarious. The legislative solutions a Republican Congress might resort to will be an unprecedented case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Whata we do Newt?

So, your saying there's a chance?

#17 Dubious, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Too true. In so many instances, deregulation has proven to be a disaster, and not only in the financial industry. The bedrock philosophy of today's Republican Party has been shown to be one of the worst things to ever happen to this country. How anyone could vote for the clowns is beyond me. Sure, some Demopcrats in Congress were also culpable, but the overwhelming blame for the current financial chaos in all it's myriad permutations rests with the GOP and it's bankrupt leadership, past and present.

19. Dubious

I think they could have bought and would have bought whichever party had the power at the time. The snowball started under Clinton.

It is economic bubbles that keep a party in power. They create the tide that lifts all boats, till they don't.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is a good time to remind everybody that the legislation that led to this mess was the lax underwriting standards and the reduction in capitalization of Fannie and Freddie. That legislation was pushed by Barney Frank and signed by George Bush. This was a bipartisan disaster.