1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOREY's Time Frame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How long does Morey have before you lose faith in him?

1. Next Year - Playoffs or bust

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Next 2~3 Years - Playoffs or bust

44 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Next 4~5 Years - Playoffs or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Next 2~3 Years - 2nd round or bust

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Next 4~5 Years - 2nd round or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Next 2~3 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Next 4~5 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other - Please Explain.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Arguably, because he would help attract the kind of player that would make you not mediocre??? I don't know if that's right or not...but you could argue that.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'll take the "not" side and argue that while it may seem to make sense on a basketball level, has there really been an example of a top level player being attracted to a team for its coach? The vast majority of them were drafted to their team, and the few who do change teams base their decisions on money, fame, glitz and glamour. Things that make sense on a human level, as opposed to basketball.

Unless someone wants to tell me Carmelo went to NY for Pringles, the same guy about to get canned next year.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't think Lebron's first thought was "Man that Erik Spoelstra is just what I need" when he made his decision.

Role players may weigh heavily on which team to go to dependent on the coach since some systems and coaching philosophies are better suited for them than others. But superstar players know if the coach doesn't cater to them, the coach is the one out the door first.

Again though, I can't recall a superstar coach in place first before the superstar players. I would say the superstar players have made coaches into superstar coaches in the past. Who was Phil Jackson before he took over the Bulls?

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jerry Sloan is a superstar coach(they named a whole conference after him!) which is why he got Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer to stay and NOT make him quit.

#84 CXbby, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yes, Sloan was an institution before his supposed self induced resignation. (But who was Sloan before he took over for Frank Layden with the franchise's 2 greatest players already in place?)

:confused: He was an assistant coach with the Bulls before taking over for Doug Collins.

#86 v3.0, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

You won't find any arguments from me. As I've stated before, it is a player's league. Plenty of people toss that around yet still overvalue the impact of coaches. As long as they are not entirely incompetent, the talent level of the team determines whether they become "superstars" or not. See: Adelman, Golden State.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He needs to establish a contending roster by the end of 2012 or he is fried.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess the true question is. .. how long do you think it will/should take to rebuild?

Rocket River

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is no will or should. Some teams have been rebuilding for 2 decades and still going strong. They are like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep rebuilding and rebuilding and rebuilding...

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

for once i'd like someone to stick around long enough to actually piece together a championship roster...

ya'll are crazy if you think good GMs are just hanging on trees.

there's very few GMs who could've weathered the yao/tmac injuries better than this gm has.

championship teams are special/rare. only 5 or 6 teams have won championships in the last twenty years! how do people on this board think that assembling a championship roster is so easy? theres 30 teams!

just deal with it. lebron changed everything when went to miami. everyone is zigging. so morey is zagging.

changing GMs will only set us back. we need to stay the course if morey's plan is going to pay off. we MUST draft a star.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or trade for one, or develop one. To me, the best thing about Morey is that he tries to cover all our bases. While committing to one direction can be a good thing, the problem here is you can lock yourself out of a good opportunity when one comes along. DM tries to minimize that risk as much as possible, which is why the franchise seems like it doesn't know what it wants. But the good thing about it this team si ready to take advantage of opportunities which come our way.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think you can say the same for players and coaches
    Each coach seem to have a 4~5 yr window . ..and BOOM they are out

I don't think Morey is much for DEVELOPING ONe. He will SELL HIGH
    for what he thinks is the next great thing.

Rocket River

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

First of all, I think if the Rockets expected to make the playoffs next year (management), they would have kept a coach with playoff experience. Second of all, there is no way we make the playoffs next year with TWill and Hill and Thabeet logging major minutes.

I don't want to be labeled a ROF (Rick Only Fan), but I hate that he was let go. Never the less, nest season I will spend my $169.99 for NBA League Pass. I will watch every single game religiously. i will cheer for my Rockets regardless of who is on the floor. But that said, I prayed for a sign that my Rockets would be ok. Finally, today I was driving along and saw this. Jammed on the brakes and pulled over to get a pic......

[​IMG]

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

1) I have a different take on the question. I don't think Morey is in any hurry at all. And by extension, it looks like Les is right there with him. Just watch - if Morey makes those three picks in the draft, AT LEAST one will be a PF.

2) If Morey retired right now, not many would appreciate him, but the fact is, we have a boatload of talent, relative to our cap position.

3) Also, he's due for a bad draft. I find it hard to believe that he can turn #14 into a PPatt, or 2nd-rounders into Bud, JT, and Llull (we'll see on that one), or a player that wasn't selected into Ish, every year. This year, he has the picks to do some real damage. Based on his record, I would expect a near-superstar with one of those picks. But, watch this be the year that all his picks fizzle out.

16. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I don't trust in him at all after Shane and Rick moves, Yao possible re-signing and ignoring a possibility of bringing here very good C in Chris Kaman.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just wanted to bump this
    Now that the Trade Deadline has passed
    The question is again . . .

How much longer does Morey get before you are set
    on that . . . he is simply what his record says he is

I am not Anti-Morey
    I understand he has had limitations
    the question is . . .at some point .. he has to hit a winner

Not unlike TWill . . . at some point all the potential
    in the world does not matter . . . if you don't produce

Rocket River

18. SupermoochieFro

Well said! I think this offseason will be extremely telling of the time frame. He'll be somewhat forced to show his hand with contracts such as Lee and Dragic.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good thread RR.

The first thing anybody needs to know is that Morey has been working within constraints placed on him by Les. We, of course, ran into our fair share of misfortune with Yao's health (Tracy too), but Les's inability/unwillingness to cut the chord years ago cost us valuable time and caused asset depreciation. It prevented a reload or massive rebuild that would have happened under normal circumstances if the Rockets could have traded Yao. At worst, the rebuild should have started the moment Yao stepped off the court against LA. Whether it was written into the contract from the get go or not, this has been about Les and his business interests in China. Yao was NEVER going anywhere.

So, Daryl has navigated through the contracts/injuries of Yao and Tracy. He's fed the window with mined talent, all the while keeping us flexible enough to chase an upgrade or cut to the "rebuild". Further, Les's edict to "remain competitive" has forced him to operate with a handicap, churning away.

Morey /our fans are both victims of Les greed, and his own (Morey's) amazing abilities as a GM. If Daryl wasn't so good at what he does Les wouldn't be able to get away with the route he's taken.

The two are tied at the hip ....As far as a timeframe goes ....Who knows? Like I said, in a perfect world, the Rockets would have already undergone their makeover...But as we continue to EASE into rebuilding, without total commitment...chasing Bosh, Dwight, and whoever else.. shooting for capspace....This could go on quite awhile. I know we're positioned well, but my fear is that we won't achieve our "window" , becoming perennially good ...or will have to eventually blow it up. Les better have Morey there to clean up the mess.

So, what is Morey's timeframe?

It's an everchanging/fluid mirage comprised of Les's lucid dreams.

I'll always cherish our Championship years and Les's attempts to get more, but he, as an owner, reached a point of diminishing returns years ago.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point I am just unsure
    Do we even have a solid DIRECTION

I think these trades will make the playoffs
    being big in the middle is good
    and money coming off is good

I guess the next thing is get assets for the next season's
    D12 wishathon

I guess we can sign Deron outright
    then have the assets for D12

Rocket River