1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOREY's Time Frame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How long does Morey have before you lose faith in him?

1. Next Year - Playoffs or bust

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Next 2~3 Years - Playoffs or bust

44 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Next 4~5 Years - Playoffs or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Next 2~3 Years - 2nd round or bust

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Next 4~5 Years - 2nd round or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Next 2~3 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Next 4~5 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other - Please Explain.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't believe that GMs should be judged in time frames but rather versus what other GMs could have done in their position. The biggest knock on Morey's tenure has been an inability to land a superstar. Would another GM have been able to? No.

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The same way a coach is accountable. You look at his performance under the circumstances. This is exactly why the Adelman firing generates so much indignation. Everybody knows that he has done a great job under the circumstances. You can't just say, he didn't get us to the playoffs and therefore he's accountable.

There are things that a GM cannot control, such as the location of his team, the desire of LeBron James, the ping pong balls in the lottery, etc. You judge a GM on whether he has a good plan, of the moves he makes, of the contracts he gives, on the players he drafts relative to the draft positions, etc. You don't hold him accountable for things he cannot control.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Baseball and basketball are so different that comparing their situations isn't fair toward Morey. Hunsicker took over a team with a Semi-YOUNG Baggy and Biggio and built around them along with a minor league system that came to be known as the best and acquiring star power using that system. Morey took over a broken down TMAC and injury prone Yao without the ablity to build from within only via trade and FAgency. Hunsicker also had the advantage of stablity that had been built within the first few years, Morey is constantly tickering and looking for his Biggio and Bagwell.

Morey has been placed at a major disadvantage in comparing the two and the two sports structures are so different that its just not a valid comparison.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Adelman's thing was not results oriented. His results were quite good. His thing was philosophical differences.

Same deal with Morey. His results have been quite good, given what's been handed to him. Saying he has done a bad job would be akin to blaming Adelman for not winning the championship this year with this squad.

As for how long he has. Same deal with Adelman. Whenever there is philosophical difference, which in this case means Les changing his mind about the whole stats thing, since that's what he brought Morey in for. I guess that means the stats thing proving over time that it has no value.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

CD had Hakeem, Drexler, and recent championship success to intice a player like Barkley.

He also another big in Yao which made it easy to get a superstar here. Mcgrady wanted to come here. Apples to oranges.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why looking at results alone is an irrational decision making process. It confuses coincidence with causation.

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I'm disappointed in him so far, because the team hasn't accomplished its goal, and this year didn't even come close. Ultimately, that's the bottom line Morey should be judged on. But at the same time, he's shown enough and made enough solid, even strong, decisions to justify more time in my book. I still feel like he's the right guy for the job. But there's no way I'm going to agree with the people who say he's done a "great job" and who can't speak a negative word about him. He has been in his position for a while now, and the team didn't even make the playoffs. He's on the hot seat, and he should be. Barring any more extremely bad luck (i.e. injuries), I'll be very disappointed if the team doesn't make significant strides next year. That means both making the playoffs and making a strong showing there. I can't shake the feeling that not going the extra mile to retain Adelman is going to come back and bite us, though, and reflect poorly on Morey.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Maloofs and In Petrie We Trust are on Year SIX since they fired Adelman, and they won 15, 25 and 24 games the last three years, and Evans regressed with a bad coach.

But hey, they'll have another top pick.

9. Houkom

Houkom Member

I can't help but make a comparison with Adelman. With the same luck (and with some decisions that were not his choice), Adelman has actually brought in more success to the franchise than Morey. Or let me put another way: what Adelman has done with his players, is almost unanimously lauded as great. What Morey has done with his assets is average to good at best.

Yet by your logic, Morey shouldn't be held accountable the same way Adelman has.

Morey has mentioned that letting Adelman go is because they have a different strategy approach. I assume that this means that Morey believes his way will lead to better results.

It is then fair for a fan, or an owner, to ask: better results when?

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is measured by methodology, or how he goes about getting us a ring rather than the results. If you go by results, Danny Ferry had a Finals appearance, an ECF, 5 playoff runs and at least five 50 win teams. In stark contrast, KC's GM spent 5 years as one of the worst teams in the west, and only reached playoffs recently. Which is the better GM?

With Adelman, a lot of the success he's had on this team is built on the back of the players Morey brought in, for example this season his best players were Kmart, Battier, Lowry, Scola, PP. Hayes and Bud. Guess what, almost all of those were "Morey" picks. If Morey weren't the GM would we have traded Alston for Lowry? Would we have traded Tmac for Kmart? Would we have gotten Scola, or drafted PP and Chase? Those were all great moves, and one I'm not sure the average GM could make. Adelman has done an ok job this year, but if I were just gonna choose between them, I go for Morey.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He has already gotten better results. WHen he got the team, we had guys like Juwon Howard, Rafer Alston, Luther Head and Steve Novak. This year alone he turned Aaron "Imma destroy my bball career" Brooks into Goran "Triple double" Dragic and a pick. If Adelman had his way we would have signed Brooks to a long term contract instead, he'd keep getting 20 mins a night despite horrible performances night in and night out and we would never have known this team was actually a playoff team all along, just that Adelman was playing the wrong guys.

12. Houkom

Houkom Member

I`ll grant you the great trades like the Aaron trade (although it was well recorded phoenix had strong interest in Aaron), but there were other players on the old roster besides those you handpicked... We can also conveniently forget the much more questionnable trades he did too.

Again, Morey has done a good to average job, definitely not a great one. Adelman has done more than anyone could have thought possible.

We will see what his coach will do, and what the team will deliver next season. I actually hope that his bets will pan out, at least some of them will.

13. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Freaking sick of him. He has done nothing to improve our team recently it sucks watching our team sit at home during the playoffs. Freaking sick of the mediocrity under Morey's era

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I look at the players Morey brought in . . . .
    I have to give Adelman some credit from developing them.

Is the philosophical difference between the two WIN NOW versus WIN LATER?
    Is Morey ready to TANK a season or two?

To go Parcells on you . . Morey brings home the groceries
    Adelman is a Master Chef.

With some Chefs. . they can make masterpeices out of anything
    Which is why Morey's next test is picking the New Chef!

Rocket River

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

More or less, the answer to your question is yes. Morey is willing to take a momentary step back in order to take a bigger step forward in the future. Adelman is more worried about getting as many wins as he can right now.

For this roster, with this personnel.. I'd rather go with Morey's approach.

16. bj3175

bj3175 Member

What does DM have to make H-town attractive to any superstar. First of all a star will only respect a big-time coach if you get an econmical coach meaning a coach that will not cost us much the result will be like what the knicks have now. I am an upset fan because none of us know as of yet what Dm is going to do to get a title contending team here.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can agree to an extent.
    If we don't have any SUPA STARS to attract other stars
    then we may need a SUPERSTAR COACH.

Rocket River

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

"Superstar coaches" won't come to a superstar-less team. Adelman would not have come here if TMac or Yao wasn't here.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is why you don't lightly let them go.

Rocket River

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Who's "them"? The superstar players or the superstar coach? Players - Yao and Tmac succumbed to injuries. The coach - why pay top dollar for a top dollar coach when you're going to be mediocre for the foreseeable future? And Adelman and the Rockets had a mutual parting, Adelman thought it was best to move on as much as Morey (Les) thought we needed to go a different direction.