1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOREY's Time Frame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How long does Morey have before you lose faith in him?

1. Next Year - Playoffs or bust

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Next 2~3 Years - Playoffs or bust

44 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Next 4~5 Years - Playoffs or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Next 2~3 Years - 2nd round or bust

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Next 4~5 Years - 2nd round or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Next 2~3 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Next 4~5 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other - Please Explain.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhhh...i stand corrected.

i think i get labelled a bit as being a morey hater here...so i suppose i was projecting myself too much in this discussion. because i don't want him fired now.

2. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Im referring to the poll from 2 or 3 days ago asking whether or not you have confidence in Morey (which I took to understand as asking whether or not you want Morey fired). That poll had more votes for no confidence in him than votes of confidence. I took that to mean that there is pretty strong support for getting rid of Morey immediately and that group is who I directed my comments towards. I hope, though, that you are right and there aren't as many people calling for his head as I percieve.

3. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Yeah, just a little miscommunication I suppose. Ive got no problems with any of your arguements in this thread, they're legit and logical. I was speaking more to the over-the-top haters on the board.

4. MadMax

i think there's a ton of vitriol right now because of emotion about the adelman decision. having said that, i have zero interest in seeing morey fired at this point and i was surprised to see that poll.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree. The Rockets have to make progress.
    The same things that have held back Morey , held back JVG and Adelman
    These last two years Adelman did alot with a little.
    Adelman accomplished alot too . . hell Yao goes down and the Rockets
    still push the Lakers to the brink!
    but that means NOTHING for Adelman

Morey has become the teflon Don. He is beyond reproach. He cannot be criticized. He has done some good things but this is HIS TIME NOW.
    Make it or break it time.

I don't think anyone wants him fired. Well no one practical
    but
    we definately want to see progress.

If the next coach has no playoffs in the next 3 yrs
    will we blame the coach then too . .and say well . that was just 1 Morey dud?

Rocket River

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think this goes without saying.

The Rockets are making progress. We're getting younger and we don't have a bad contract besides Miller, which is practically an expiring contract. Thabeet's contract is also an expiring. Assets :eek:

I've mentioned this before but the best thing DM did was not take on a stupid contract like Gerald Wallace's. Yes it would have helped us this upcoming season in making the playoffs but doesn't help us in the long run.

Dwight Howard. Chris Paul or Deron Williams. DM sees the bigger picture. Adelman wasn't on board with the potential dump of Scola.

#46 sammy, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Morey would still be blameless?

Rocket River

8. sammy

I meant that he OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be blameless if we don't make the playoffs 5 straight years. That's not happening though.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sorry, you only bolded the stuff about the coach.

Rocket River

10. sammy

No worries. It's hard to say this but we have to remain patient. The role players are there. We're missing the superstar and who knows if we might get in position to get even 2 by next summer.

11. MadMax

likely will have to give up the role players to get the superstar....and then spend time acquiring the right role players to complement him.

12. sammy

That's what DM is good at. He did it once but the max players couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

13. thething

thething Contributing Member

There is no time frame for Morey. I believe he is a great GM. We should just keep him for at least the next 10-20 years and hope he can build us a great team. He is doing things right, all we need is luck.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DM has shown the ability to find diamonds in the rough.
    His main question now is. . .can he land the BIG FISH?

CD landed some pretty big fish. [TMAC, Barkley, Francis, Pippen, etc]
    His issue may have been about not finding the Role Players
    [he over payed the role players I guess]

Morey is able to find the diamonds in the rough but
    has not shown the ability to land the big fish.
    He does not overpay but he has not landed the big fish

I guess we need to see the CD MOREY Combo right about now

Funny. CD may have been too loyal and Morey not enough.

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Luck? :grin::eek::grin::p:grin::confused::confused:

Rocket River

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

For those wanting to compare Hunsicker to Morey, it really isn't fair and comparing between sports is not a logical one BUT if you want to go there...Hunsicker lost his best pitcher Randy Johnson(FAgency), arguably best hitter Alou(Injury), manager for a long period of time Dierker(Injury) and STILL won 97 games and the NL Central title in 1999.

END OF DISCUSSION.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thats not the end of discussion at all and "thier success" is not even whats being compared.

Whats being compared is how they were measured as successful, how thier tenure was handled and in the end if Astros ended up with a better product by getting rid of him.

It is absolutely 100% relevant as the situations are nearly identical.

18. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

First task of Morey is to put team in position to tank. 8, 9 seeds not good enough? Ok, make us 15 so we have chance for 1 in future. No more false promise to trade for superstar one day! If we don’t have high draft pick or sign superstar free agent by next summer, Morey will stand on thin ice with me.

19. deshen

deshen Member

I started to think that Morey is a below-average GM one year ago, now I want him gone badly :eek:

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There's not that refined a metric for gauging GM success other than playoff success and player acquisitions.

I guess you can ask:

- How you said each of the past Rockets coaches was an improvement on the previous one - Is Morey an improvement over the previous GM? If CD were still GM, would the Rockets have the same success/worst success?

- If Morey were hired at another franchise, lets say Cleveland ... would you believe Morey would have the ability to improve that franchise? Is Morey getting it done now just based on luck?

- Would Morey be an upgrade/downgrade compared to the rest of the league?

- So far, has Morey shown ability to RUIN the franchise?

Right now is the TRUE read on Morey's ability. It seems Yao, McGrady, and Adelman, even as much as Yao and McGrady were injured they're more a security blanket for Morey's job than a detriment. Now, there's no more building AROUND something existing, its now creating BASED ON Morey's method.

1 person likes this.