1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MOREY's Time Frame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2011.

?

How long does Morey have before you lose faith in him?

1. Next Year - Playoffs or bust

28 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Next 2~3 Years - Playoffs or bust

44 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Next 4~5 Years - Playoffs or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Next 2~3 Years - 2nd round or bust

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Next 4~5 Years - 2nd round or bust

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Next 2~3 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Next 4~5 Years - West Conf Championship or bust

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other - Please Explain.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Great post. We can now only start to really assess Morey's potential. Yao and Mcgrady flopped harder than a M Night Shyamalan movie.

I really like the idea of trading Scola for an expiring and waiting until 2012 to do some SERIOUS damage via free agency.

2. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

I'll go with the Memphis model on this one. After they lost P. Gasol, they rebuilt the team and got them to the playoffs after 3 years in what is a not-so-popular city. I can't imagine why we couldn't do the same.

Morey has 2 years in his renewed contract if i remember right. Given that's right, he has 2 years to build a core and 1 extra season, given he's acquired a core to build around, to get us into the playoffs. Expect him on the chopping block if he doesn't get a promising core during those 2 years.

I'm going with 3 if he get's renewed after 2012-2013. On a side note, i think they went through 3 coaches since Pau was traded. I'm expecting it to be rough for the next few years.

3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

other - I already lost faith in him long ago.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, Adelman and JVG were victims of people higher up than them wanting something they apparently couldn't/didn't offer.

It's like saying "everybody shares in the company doing badly" when you know damn well the peons down below are the ones that probably will get the axe first in layoffs.

I can't say I liked the Adelman firing, but I can't agree or disagree with it because to this day, I can't figure out what Morey's and Les's reasoning was for letting him go. I can't answer the question "should he have been let go?" unless somebody tells me what exactly we're looking for that he wasn't offering.

I'd give Morey the job until he proves he can't do the job. In his line of work that will be making dud after dud of draft picks or poor trades. He's done a good job in that regard to this point. He only really answers to Les, so realistically he'll be around until Les has had enough of him.

Any number I throw out there will be wildly arbitrary, but ... 3-4 years.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

scapegoat? scapegoat is blaming someone for something they're really not responsible for.

darryl morey is the general manager of the houston rockets. that's his job. no one has to scapegoat...their success or failure is HIS RESPONSIBILITY. if the Rockets won the championship this season, he'd certainly be getting the credit; the flip of that coin should be true as well.

hunsicker had an assload of success to rest on...he wasn't perfect, either, but the comparisons of morey to hunsicker at this point are just silly.

morey gets 2 more years to get it turned around...that's my guess. all of it's his, now. sink or swim.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing like having a Taxi Drive that knows all the short cuts. . but cannot get you where you going.
    that will be Morey . . .all the nifty things he is doing is not important
    unless he gets us where we going

Rocket River

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

OH, IS THAT WHAT A SCAPEGOAT IS? REALLY? Let me rephrase then. Morey is a total loser, I can't believe he didn't make Kobe say he would only play for the Rockets 15 years ago. I can't believe he okayed the Gasol trade to the Lakers for nothing. I can't believe when he genetically created McGrady and Yao in a lab 30 years ago, he forgot to perfect the bone structure. Wow, how dare he not make Galveston into Miami beach and have Lebron and Bosh fall into his lap. Wow, what an incomptent fool for not doing all those things. :rolleyes:

It is some of his responsibility, it is also the owner, the players, the coaches, etc. This thread is specifically saying he is to blame and not anyone else, ie a dun dun dun......scapegoat.

Hunsicker was a quality GM who was driven out of town by an idiot owner, which may happen again. Morey gave this team more success than it had for the ten years prior.

Maybe, but ditching Morey would be incredibly and utterly r****ded.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't remember Biggio and Bagwell being on the IR much when they were winning those Division titles, granted Bagwell was pretty much out during the WS season, but him and Biggio stabilized the franchise for over a decade and attracted Pettite and Clemens to come here.

You gotta have the big horses to build around, and Hunsicker had that, while Morey has to basically start from scratch. Morey is basically entering the Purpura stage circa after the WS season (the eras and lifespans in the NBA is much shorter then MLB).

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not quite - This thread is about what is HIS ACCOUNTABILITY LEVEL and more importantly . .. What are his Results benchmarks.

Rudy improved on Chaney. JVG improved on Rudy. Adelman improved on JVG.
    They all got fired. Does Morey have an unlimited leash? Is he untouchable [thought according to him no one else is?]

Some would say the same about firing Adelman, JVG, Rudy, etc etc

Rocket River

10. MadMax

LLLLLOOOOOUUUUUDDDDDDD NNOOOOOOOIIIIISSSEEEEESSSSSS.

you're arguing against a position that the OP didn't take. i certainly didn't take it, either. i'm not interested in seeing morey fired now.

but ultimately, pro sports is a bottom line business. you can have all the legit reasons in the world for not being successful...but ultimately, if you're not successful, you lose your job. unless you work for Bob McNair.

I'll save the Astros argument for the Astros thread. But if you're going to make excuses for Morey surrounding Yao's/Tracy's contract and injuries, then you can't give him credit for what little success they did have. He didn't acquire either of those guys....for better or for worse.

And I'm not suggesting we do so now. Let's talk again in 12 months.

11. MadMax

i didn't say that was fair. but if morey retired today he'd be nowhere near revered as hunsicker is/was...and for good reason. you can have a ton of legit excuses why it didn't work out. but if it doesn't work out, you won't find yourself compared with those who got it done.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Morey's praise was for acquiring second tier talent to fit around Yao/Tracy with little to work with. Nobody credited him for bringing them here, nor signing them -- though, truthfully, the upside on each was so huge that only a reckless GM would not have done so given the chance. But, regardless, Morey now has, for the first time, the big void in the center of his lineup that he gets to fill and has the go-ahead to fill. A much more difficult task, with fewer opportunities.

So his clock starts now. And he has to be evaluated on that basis. On expectations of a team without a franchise type player, and only mid level picks. What is a realistic upside? And timeframe? I'd say he gets two years of grace, with an expectation of strong potential showing by end of yr 2 and results by yr 4.

13. MadMax

EXACTLY where I am on it.

14. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

So we've had all this complaining about Morey and how over half the board wants him gone, BUT all he has to do is reach the 8 seed at some point in the next 3 years and you will all forgive him and be okay with keeping him? WTF????? Im getting more and more confused about the logic or our fanbase. Nobody seems to know what the hell they want. They get pissed when we get rid of a coach after missing the playoffs 2 straight years, but their ultimate measure of success is simply reaching the playoffs. Seriously?

Im prolly as big of a Morey supporter as anyone on here, but if the 6-7-8 seed and a first round exit is the best he can do, then we need to get his ass out of here. That's just not good enough. His success and his failure will be determined completely by his ability to bring us atleast to the brink of a championship.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, it's not difficult to see what the topic du jour is going to be over the Summer.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree with larsv8 on this one.

Context ALWAYS matters. Only focusing on "results" without looking how we got there and where we're going is short-sighted.

Morey has done a great job given the circumstances. Only 1 team wins the championship every year. It's a tough league, especially when you have bad luck.

Lowry, Martin, Socla, Bud, PatPat, Courtney Lee...PLUS payroll flexibility are all here thanks to Morey. We'd be the Sacramento Kings without him.

17. MadMax

ummmm..no.

i feel like this entire discussion (with a couple of the posts i've responded to recently) is built around this gigantic strawman or mistaken perception that there is a loud chorus of rockets fans calling for morey's job. i don't see that at all. but there is such a huge crowd here that worships him in such a strange, fanboy sort of way, that i suppose i can understand that perception being born out of some form of defensiveness.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^^^^^This ......Give him 3- 5 years without major injuries and we'll be perrenial contenders.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=203795

1 person likes this.
  20. MadMax

another couple of strawmen to address here:

1. "only 1 team wins the championship every year." -- honestly, do you really thinkrockets fans are dissatisfied with the last 13 or so years of rockets basketball (including morey's tenure) because they haven't won a championship?? we're one of a handful of teams that have won only 2 playoff series over that span. that's the dissatisfaction. not that we didn't win...but that for the most part we didn't matter. and in a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't, we've been sitting out far too long.

2. "we'd be the sacramento kings without him." -- really? how in the world do you know this? why is there this great assumption that NO ONE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET is capable of doing a better job than morey? this is the fanboy stuff taken way too far. i just don't get that at all.