1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moreys take on next years free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phi slam jam, Sep 7, 2009.

1. phi slam jam

phi slam jam Member

for what its worth,

i talked to morey a few weeks back at the house of blues for a season tix event. i asked him several questions about next years free agency. he said that we are in a 'great' position for next year and that our top realistic guy is chris bosh. i asked him what he though about dwayne wade and he said he is likely either going to stay in miami or go to chicago.

he was remarkably quite glib about tmacs expiring contract and its possibilities. by the way, morey is 6'4'' and acts like a comedian on weed. really nice guy. i guess i always had this impression he was a short MIT nerd.

2. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

I hope this is true.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This thread is five stars just for this classic line.

4. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think Morey would speak this frankly about a player under contract, especially to a stranger. Sorry.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Agreed. Seems like a lot of info considering how close to the vest Morey usually plays it.

6. tomato

tomato Member

You're overlooking some important clues in the quote. Morey smoked with the OP and did his standup routine at the HOB.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The only house of blues event I can think of that happened a couple of weeks ago is that RPD finals event and I believe that was open to the public.

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Morey is quite candid and a straight shooter, the OP is just confirming stuff we already knew. This is just another indicator Battier will be traded at the deadline to give us the cap space to go after a big name FA.

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

There was not a season ticket holder event at the House of Blues...

Might have been a sales event but not a season ticket holder event.

Also, Daryl can't comment specifically about another player under contract with another team in regards to possibly obtaining them. Regardless of the setting.

10. prince-henry

prince-henry New Member

I don't think that Chris Bosh can do better than SCOLA when he and YAO are on the floor

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I kind of agree, but Bosh is a talented guy and physically more imposing. My only concern is, I really don't like the fact that we will probably be paying Bosh a huge amount just to sign him away from other teams next season, leaving us in another hole for a few years as far as the cap goes. Not to mention the very next year if Yao doesn't opt out this year, we might have to match it or go over to retain Yao.

I'd personally rather keep Scola but I'm no GM nor an expert on Bosh besides him liking to make music.

Unless he was on weed, which wouldn't surprise me.

12. Apollo88

Apollo88 Member

Lacks basis, this is just one of those threads to catch attention. I really don't like C. Bosh, maybe the one who posted this is a fan of his. C. Bosh is contemplating on signing an extension like J. Johnson because they know that the salary cap for the 2010-2011 season may get lower than this season. Only LBJ and Wade can gamble on the salary cap because they know what they are worth.

Here is the most positive scenario that GM Morey is trying to accomplish:

He signed Ariza worth $5-7M for 5yrs - the reason for this is that IF Ariza develops into an All-Star type of player, then Morey already won the free-agency for this season and the next season.

He will gamble on T-Mac's comeback - IF T-Mac gets back into form and proves everybody wrong THEN Morey can sign him again for a minimum $10M a season, IF T-Mac will accept it and play as sidekick to Ariza and Yao. He may be the best free-agent available for the team, the one he is referring to as "a former all-star who still have plenty of gas in the tank".

Keeping the line-up intact til' Yao comes back - Mr. Money ball will not spend too much for a single player, we all know that and he has proven it every transaction. He would rather spend to give Scola, Brooks, Landry, and Battier to new contracts, also there's Lowry and Pops, if they played well this season the more they'll get signed again by Morey.

Always remember his words; "We're going to be up-tempo, fun to watch, young players easy to root for,'' he said. ''It's exciting. I think it'll be fun to watch the team group up and grow together, all in a style we're trying to move to. You're going to see us playing the way coach would rather play.''

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey's NEVER, EVER mentioned names of players in potential deals on the other side.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If you mean Bosh, Morey's just talking common knowledge, i.e., that Chris Bosh is the most attainable of the big names. He isn't giving up any secrets or negotiating position there.

Now other people know we want him, and might take a shot? Like they thought Bosh would only get the attention of one team?

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We will not have the money to sign him... Maybe a Tracy/Scola deal at the trade deadline or something like that?

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Hey guys fwiw I met Morey at Burning Man for a Rockets fan visionquest and we did a bunch of magic mushrooms while listening to Phish and he had a vision of the Houston Rockets w/Yao in the post with two spinning robot arms blocking everything that came his way and then kidnapping Dwayne Wade and brainwashing him with the Rockets vampire logo and then going on to win like 9 million championships or something. I asked him about George Ming and he told me that George Ming can kill 3 ninjas with one Dim Mak punch but it's weird because one time George Ming hit a brick with Dim Mak and the brick got up and hit back.

by the way, Morey is about 7'3" and acts like a dude on shrooms at a Phish concert and he smells like patchouli, really nice guy.

3 people like this.
  17. blackistan

blackistan Member

If we dont get dwade I want joe johnson, we need a scorer at the wing position more than at the power forward

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Are you sure it was Morey that was on weed, a few weeks back? It seems that you had a sample, while posting today. ;)

19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Bosh leading a team to a championship? The dude is softer then my pillow. Good player but come on...

20. Seth

Seth Member

For what is worth, Scola dominated Bosh the last time they meet in the NBA and Fiba. Even when Bosh was paired with Dwight Howard and Scola with Fabri Oberto.

If Morey considers is time to break up the "everbreaking" core, i think he should point to durable stars, maybe Bosh fits that mold, and with nearly 40 millions expended in our two "stars" we should be able to get something to the backcourt too.