1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Offseason Plans: My Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I cannot stand the lack of respect Kyle Lowry gets on this board!

It just shows how stupid most NBA fans are

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

He gets mucho respect from me. That's why he should be traded--he is the only guy we have who can get us an all-star caliber player back to move the franchise forward :cool:

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This has nothing to do with disrespecting Kyle. This is business. Kyle could net us a good pick in this loaded draft.

4. thekad

thekad Member

So after all those moves, we end up with a worse team than this year and Hibbert and Harden signed to max contracts. Not even Morey would do something that horrendous.

5. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I've been thinking more about the upcoming draft. I'm thinking NY doesn't make the playoffs and we end up with their pick 9-10 and DAL pick 21-22. I'd like to see Morey trade up using any combination of Lowry, Martin, Morris, Budinger, Scola, Patterson, NY pick, Dal pick, even Parsons to move up to draft Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. As good as Parsons has been as our SF I see MKG as a more well-rounded player and becoming an elite level athlete and a major upgrade at the SF position.

Trade Lowry, Morris, #9-10 to TOR for Calderon, #5 to draft MKG!!
    As I said in my earlier post trade Martin, #22 to BOS but draft Leonard.
    Re-sign Dragic and Lee, bring over Motiejunas, amnesty Scola.

Dragic/Calderon
    Lee/Budinger
    MKG/Parsons
    D-Mo/Patterson
    Dalembert/Leonard

Helps TOR in their rebuilding process, makes them competitive, and adds 2012 pick in a deep draft. Possibly Perry Jones!
    Lowry/Bayless
    DeRozan/Forbes
    Morris/J. Johnson/Kleiza
    Bargnani/ Davis
    Valanciunas/A. Johnson

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

How the hell is that a worse team? Dragic ~= Lowry, Harden >>> Lee, Motiejunas/Parsons ~= Scola, Hibbert > Dalembert. We lose nothing except some backup PG play and add big upgrades at the 2 and 5.

7. freshstart

freshstart Member

1. trade Martin to Washington for Nene
    2. trade Lowry + Scola to LA for Gasol
    3. let go of Dalembert
    4. sign Lee, Dragic & Camby
    5. bring over Motiejunas & Llull
    6. draft Leonard & Ross

c - Nene / Camby / Leonard
    pf - Pau / Pat / Motiejunas
    sf - Parsons / Morris
    sg - Lee / Bud / Ross
    pg - Dragic / Llull / Fortson

:grin:

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We're only going to trade up in the draft for a big. Davis, Sullinger, or Robinson.

9. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Davis is going #1 maybe #2! I don't think we'd be able to trade up that high. But with Motiejunas coming over next year, Scola potentially traded or amnestied, and Patterson at the PF why would you draft another undersized PF in Sullinger and Robinson unless you plan on trading Motiejunas and Patterson as well?

If you have a chance to trade up and draft an elite level athlete like MKG you do it, and that's why I also suggested trading up to draft Leonard for our future C at 7'1 to pair with Motiejunas!

10. MONON

MONON Member

This idea I like!

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

SG should be first on the list. Trade up to get Beal or Lamb. One should be available around 10 - 12. Draft Leonard. I think that Parsons is going to be manning the SF spot for the Rockets for many years. We then would have great young talent at every position learning from veteran starters.

Assuming we use Martin and Morris/Bud as trade chips to move up in the draft:

Lowry or Dragic/Llull
    Lee/Lamb or Beal
    Parsons/Bud or Morris
    Scola/PPat/Moteijunas
    Camby or Dally/Leonard

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Someone please tell me why the thunder can't afford harden,durant and westbrook? They will trade perkins or let ibaka go before they trade or let any of those 3 go. Harden isn't a max player or max talent. I doubt someone will offer him that much. Will he get paid? Yes, but it will be in the 10m range. They could easily replace ibaka or perkins with vets on the cheap or via trades. Harden,westbrook,nor durant are going anywhere,get that out of ur head.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If the Thunder are going to lock Harden up, they better do it before he hits the free agent market (even the restricted market). I could easily see some GM believing this guy could be a lead dog (remember Joe Johnson & Rashard Lewis?) and dropping a max offer on this guy. Remember all something or someone is worth is what someone is willing to pay for his services. The Thunder may keep all three, but it could get real expensive in a hurry.

14. jopatmc

Agreed, Davis is going to be virtually impossible to get.

IMHO, Sullinger and Robinson are in a different league than Patterson. Patterson has been nice but he is lacking that dominating mentality. I think he's trade bait for a big man upgrade. Both Sully and Robinson have it.

Yes, I know Motie is coming over. And I'm interested in what he is and becomes. I think he's got potential. But don't want to rely on Motie being "it".

When you think about acquiring a big by trade, we may acquire Pau or we may acquire another big. But the biggest big we need is a true 5, a guy that can play the middle for 30 mpg. Pau can do that and do it effectively. With that being said, if you could get a guy like Sullinger or Robinson to go alongside him, I think that is a serious upgrade to the big men spots.

Remember I was responding to a post about the draft. If we are going to move up in the draft, we are going after a big, not a perimeter guy. We've got good perimeter guys. We don't need a point guard and there's none in the draft better than what we've got. SG and SF??? We've got good economical options at those positions. They are not our weakness. Our weakest position is center and our next weakest position is PF. Reason being we have a journeyman playing center (Dally) and we've got a one-way player at the PF (Scola). We need stronger interior D from both spots and we need a guy that can give us O to go with the D (Pau or someone else). And in the draft, perimeter players are a dime a dozen these days with the defensive rules the way they are.

Now, I have felt that Harrison Barnes will be a great player. I still feel that way. I think he'll be moved to SG in the pros and he'll be a terrible mismatch night in and night out. But is that our greatest need right now? NOPE! While he may be great, we know how our team is constructed and who owns and runs the team. We are owned by WIN NOW LES! Don't forget that. Because it taints everything we do, in trades, and in the draft.

Because we are constantly in "win now" mode, if we move up in the draft, it will be to draft a big or to trade the pick for a great big man already in the league.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I 100% guarantee Harden would get a max offer on the open market as an unrestricted free agent--I don't know if he will as an RFA but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Fielding three max guys is basically impossible for a small market team like OKC. If they were LA or NY it would be a different story, of course.

16. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

i humbly disagree with most of the strategies in these post

1) why would you amnesty Scola? -- He is considered top 15 power forwards in the league ... Start counting and you will see there are at least 12 teams out there that would have him start on their team and 30 teams that would want him on their roster ... Amnestying Scola is absolutely ridiculous talk ...

2) Trading away Lowry makes absolutely no sense ... He is in the conversation with being top 5 point most efficient point guards in the league and he plays both ends of the ball and is still very young ... I would argue He is our "Superstar" ... Him not making the all star team was simply stupid ... He has had an amazing year. -- D Williams doesn't play nearly as hard as Lowry and his defense is very sub-par compared to Lowry. I prefer Lowry over D-Will ... specially since Lowry's value provided for contact value is one of the best in the League ...

3) Goran Dragic is a great player ... Love the kids hustle but come on people ... If you follow basketball you can tell that he is just another Darren Collison waiting to happen ... He has never actually challenged for the starting point guard position in this league ... Goran is a great backup point guard to have in the scenario your starting PG gets hurt ... in no way is he a point guard that you should build your team around ... To be honest I don't see a single team in the NBA currently that would give him the starting position and build around him ... If you can think of a team ... please point them out ... but be realistic and keep in mind the NBA Draft is yet to take place ...

4) Trading Martin should be a consensus ... It's obvious that his lack of passion and defense hurt us all the time ... I think since the rule changes and trade talks prior to the season ... He has been an anchor to this team moving forward and had he not had injury issues ... morey would have shipped him out at trade deadline for spare parts ...

5) People like Hibbert ... Harden ... Gordon ... Batum ... Nene and yes even Gasol are all bad choices because they are all "potential" but none have recently shown that they can be leaders on their current teams in any shape or form ... NONE of them are worth dismantling your team over ...

6) We should be pursuing guys that fit the mold of younger tyson chandler .. younger camby ... younger and more energetic dalembear ... I really wanted to go after Mcgee until Denver landed him ... I really like his "potential" at a relatively good price ... Deandre Jordan is another ... Bismark Byambo is another ... Gortat would be an ideal fit to clog the middle and Rebound (need it desperately) ... Ibaka (likely untouchable) ... Greg Monroe (again likely untouchable) ... Noah ... D. Favors ... These are the type of players we need to go after as far as bigs are concerned ...

With all of that said ...
    a) Our priorities this offseason should be to KEEP Lowry ... RE sign Courtney Lee (these 2 should be our starting backcourt for the next 5 years plus) -- Both play amazing together on both ends of the floor ...

b) trade martin and C bud and anyone else not named lowry and lee and even Scola ... to land a promising big i mentioned ...

c) We should try to aquire more talent like Parsons and draft picks and if Dragic will sign reasonably fine ... if not SNT or let him walk ...

d) keep Dalembear or Camby to backup the young big we get

e) I also like ideas like getting our hands on an ersan Illyasova ... jason thompson ... boris diaw ... chris kaman ... jonas jarebko ... cousins ... david west ... varejao .. taj gibson ... kevin sarphin and tristan thompson ... These are all good targets to fill up roster needs ...

f) please stay away from bad contracts for players that have only potential and haven't shown that they can make a major impact on a franchise ...

1 person likes this.
  17. jopatmc

This team has fallen onto Goran and Goran has responded like a champion, dragging the whole gang with him. He's a great kid, very talented, and he's got huge heart. You are watching him come into his own right now, right in front of you. He's turning into a tremendous two-way player. Wake up!

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Hey look, I improved your post a lot and I only had to use one key on my keyboard :grin: I bet you can guess which one it was!

19. Muaz

Muaz Member

I think Nash will land in Portland, they got caps pace with Felton thabeet Flynn And I think okie and s

20. Muaz

Muaz Member

Okur coming off the books I mean Nash with Aldridge Barnum and co is scary and then we could trade Lowry and a pick to the suns for Gortat it could work well