1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Moves Since Harden; Or How we got here and what's next.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For the record, at the time I wanted Luol Deng instead of Anderson. But not at the contract that Deng signed for the Lakers. I wanted Deng because I valued his defense.

The Rockets could have added both Horford and Bazemore. Once that package came off the board the additions of Gordon+Anderson were less dollars which freed up the team room to give Harden the extension. He would have waited a year on the extension if they needed room to fit both Horford and Bazemore.

I think the Rockets previous disaster season played a part in Horford giving Houston some second thoughts vis-a-vis the Celtics situation.

Nook likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Info
    I guess saying this is the greatest weakness may end up being a bit of praise

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Morey has landed Harden, Howard and Paul in his time here. That’s 3 superstar level players. Regardless of how the last two panned out (Paul clearly being the better one) how many teams can say they’ve managed that?

Warriors got KD but drafted everyone else. Lakers got Lebron and traded for Davis. Nets signed Kyrie and KD. We aren’t going to land a superstar player every year, that’s not how any of this works. We actually got lucky KD left to the east. Now just waiting on Kawhi to hopefully stay in Toronto and the NBA can have a semblance of parity for the first time in years.

My biggest criticism of Morey is not his hits or misses, it’s his way of treating the players during these times because we’ve had a lot of sour grapes here in the past. Capela, Gordon and Tucker are more than serviceable and now they have to come back to the team all awkward.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His public Relations can be awkward great and just plain ole regular
    It seems like we get same problems we get concerning Athletes.
    I WISH THEY WOULD TELL THE TRUTH AND SAY HOW THE FEEL
    The second they do .
    OH THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT!!!

Do we want interviews filled with nothing but GM SPEAK or not?

Rocket RIver

5. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

So basically, what you're saying is that Morey is overrated?

PeterKingX likes this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Any average GM can make 2 or 3 good trades in 12 years. I dont understand why fans here bragging Morey so much. Much overrated for me.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I suppose so but this also illustrates why I'm not a fanboy of Morey because I don't see any long term plan on his part. All he's done is continue the same sort of practice that Carroll Dawson did and we all know how that ended. As of today, the Rockets appear to be backed into (yet) another corner of their own making with no clear strategy to move forward aside from hoping that the other teams in the West don't know what they're doing or that (maybe) things will look better come December or January. Sometimes when your organization is run by the "smartest guy in the room" you end up with Enron on your face.

8. MystikArkitect

He made the trade of this century.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Morey has not landed a true star to play next to harden. He has signed has been stars going into there decline state(Howard, Paul). The rockets will not win a championship because of this. Look at other teams.

10. dmoneybangbang

I've never understood this take.....just seems like throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, I never said he behaves like that in private.

And it ain't ish that sticks or not.

He is extremely cocky in his tweets and interviews, I think it is an attitude he wants to sell to the fans....personally I do not have to like it. (That swag that CP3 and others were talking about - overconfidence)

I do think though that it is good to be confident but he forgets that other teams are improving fast.

We all like that he is smart. I wish him the very best for the rest of his career.

If you do not feel that way, totally fine.

#51 daywalker02, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  12. dmoneybangbang

We build the team by going over the luxury team and lose to the GSW because we aren't just a role player or two away.... we complain

We do the opposite and lose to the GSW... we complain.

13. dmoneybangbang

I've just never understood that complaint about a pretty personable GM. I've listened to most podcasts where he is interviewed and I've never got that from him. He's definitely a cheerleader for the team he runs and I've always liked that.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, it is more in the context that he is not getting much done as he has proclaimed.

And the fact that he is downplaying the problems the team has at some point and exeggerating that the team should be favorites to win it all.

While missing out on Butler which he was extremely confident about, while he is fishing for the scraps of the barrell.

Latter not just twice but for years now.

And it is frustrating to talk to his fans because like with James Harden fans, they only see the Good.

They will never criticize him for anything.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

1 great trade Harden
    1 good trade CP

The rest is crap.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, if he were as loved around the league as he was on this board, he would have gotten a lot more things Done.