1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Jan 25, 2014.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Morey did give it to Dwight and to Garcia (for next year).

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

for 1 Dwight is considered a superstar in this league few years ago, 2 Garcia is asking well below is market rate...

Dragic was asking his market rate salary of about 8m a year plus a player option...

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Well, it's moot and academic now because Goran is blowing up for another team while we have to look for a starting PG AGAIN.

4. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

a new starting PG is not what we need, what we need is a better coach....

Dragic blew up here because he was the only shot creator\ playmaker at that time...
    Dragic is continuing to blow up in Phoenix because he is being used there properly...

If we trade our PGs now, may it be Lin or Bev (don't really care) they will blow up somewhere else and we will have this same conversations again...

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Morey would have probably tanked but Les didn't want him too. Les wanted to rebuild and win at the same time. Credit to DM for actually pulling it off.

6. pippsux

pippsux Member

Hiring a bad coach and assembling a mediocre sub par ill equipped coaching staff. You win championships with talent and coaching. This season is being wasted.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Asik's own team underrated him, we had chicago bulls fans join the site just to tell us he was garbage, they were wrong and they know it now.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wasting 1st round picks on White and Williams were mistakes but they were hardly catastrophic mistakes. You're gonna miss a few over the course of 7 years; at least he was gambling on unique talent/huge upside players.

The Ariza signing ended up being relatively inconsequential as we traded him for Courtney Lee, who had a couple of good seasons with us, and then we got a 2nd rounder when he went to Boston.

You could definitely argue that Morey should have given Dragic the 4th year, but we won't know if that was a mistake until we see what we do in 2015 free agency.

The Scola contract was a mistake, but he was a good player, a fan favorite, and we ended up amnestying him, so the damage was small.

I love the Van Gundy hire, and I liked Adelman. They both won a lot of games for us and took us to the playoffs. I don't consider those hires mistakes. The verdict is definitely still out on McHale though.

Cutting Jeremy Lin might be at the top of the list, if only for the fact that we could have had a young talented asset on a Chandler Parsons-type contract instead of a overpaid guy with outsized expectations. Of course Linsanity would never have happened...

With the way Asik played last year, I didt think his poison pill contract was a mistake, but with the whispers of it hurting his trade value, and his contempt for the team, it was probably a mistake. I think it's obvious that the Lin contract was a mistake. But again, the damage was limited because they were only 3-yr deals.

Not drafting Batum and keeping him when we had the chance was a mistake, but the guy we did draft and keep, Greene, ended up netting us Ron Artest, who played well for us when we were trying to contend. Not as cut and dry as it seems.

As for not drafting Leonard or Sanders, I think every GM could be accused of missing an opportunity to draft a good player. Overall Morey has a very good drafting record, especially late in the draft where it's more challenging.

9. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I am afraid this gentleman has identified the elephant in the room. We were given the impression that this was the end product, with a tweak or two. It looks like the product we have is a bona fide fifth place team with no quick fix in sight.

Considering the emergence of Jones, Dwight should have made this team a lot better than last year. The improvement seems marginal.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Where did you get the impression that this was a finished product?

The Rockets currently aspire to secure a top-four seed so they can get home-court advantage in the first round, and that's realistic. But with an aggressive franchise runner such as Morey and their Asik bullet, the possibilities are wide-ranging.

"We're not all the way there, we're not a finished team," Morey said. "We're going to be experimenting. We want to be a great team by mid-April."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...kets-not-finished-product-144544133--nba.html

Morey said the Rockets are not yet at the top of the mountain.

“I think there are probably at least three teams better than us if not more,” Morey said about the chances of winning a championship this season. “Until you’re going into a season felling like you are the top one or two I think it’s, and we haven’t really accomplished anything, I think it’s hard to talk about ‘hey we’re one of the favorites to win the championship.’ But I do think we go in with a chance, where as we haven’t in the last few years.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....here-are-at-least-three-teams-better-than-us/

"We're not all the way there, we're not a finished team," Morey said. "We're going to be experimenting. We want to be a great team by mid-April."

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2013/story/_/id/9793212/houston-rockets-not-done-tinkering-roster

Morey obviously doesn't think that this is a a finished product so why would you? He's been very open about needing more improvement.

11. aelliott

It was Battier for a 1st round pick and Thabeet. Thabeet was a throw-in to make salaries match. That first round pick was used to acquire James Harden.

1 person likes this.
  12. aelliott

The reason for not giving Dragic the option year was to retain flexibility to acquire a star. Dwight was that star.

Garcia's deal is for the league minimum so it has little impact on our future flexibility.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/Bwagsports">@Bwagsports</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30">@Highway_30</a> Darryl Morey said his worst decision as GM was drafting u with a first round pick” I'm sure he did... <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BeWell&amp;src=hash">#BeWell</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/statuses/427175017970155520">January 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I think the problem with resigning Goran with a player option is that it completely messes up the Rockets plans for the FA market. Essentially you're giving control to your whole offseason plans to one player, rather than that power keeping with the GM.

15. SeabrookMiglla

dont think dragic would do well in this system, he is lin except better. how much better, i dont know. but i really dont think he would change this team that much because harden has the reigns and goran is a ball dominate PG like lin. even if goran was on this team there would still be a rub between him and harden, dont think that is something that would go away. honestly, i think lowry would fit the best on this team out of lin and dragic.

16. SeabrookMiglla

i agree, he is a ball dominate PG like lin. if lin was the man on the team he would be putting up bigger number as well. when dragic was with us he really opened up as a player and was the man on our team for a bit.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Worst mistake was telling the fans that they are going to try and win a championship this year. It tricked the idiot fans around here into thinking the Rockets were actually a true contending team.

They aren't. They have three good/great players, a few young prospects who are inconsistent, 2 big contracts that need to be moved because those players aren't producing, and a bunch of vet min contracts of players who can over perform expectations at times, but aren't players that can carry your franchise a full season.

The hype was the worst mistake of this year. Expectations should have been set a little bit lower in the fans minds.

18. aelliott

Morey was very honest that the Rockets weren't yet championship level. Sure they'll "try" their best to win the title this year, but he was very realistic that more moves are needed.

“I think there are probably at least three teams better than us if not more,” Morey said about the chances of winning a championship this season. “Until you’re going into a season felling like you are the top one or two I think it’s, and we haven’t really accomplished anything, I think it’s hard to talk about ‘hey we’re one of the favorites to win the championship.’ But I do think we go in with a chance, where as we haven’t in the last few years.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...etter-than-us/

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He's been a good GM thus far, and McHale has to be up there with the most ridiculous, idiotic choices he's made. Though, I get why he wanted a coach like Kevin. No experience, backbone or intensity so that Morey has more control over the team and players.

The Hasheem Thabeet trade. Unforgivable.

Trading away Pat Pat for crap. As of right now, Patrick Patterson would fill the need we have at PF. A guy that can CONSISTENTLY hit the jumper, rebound and score without so much effort.

I know, I know--all of this led to us getting James, but there had to have been some different combinations.

-Not intervening when Kevin caused issues with KLow. Kyle wanted to be here before all of that mess happened, but again, I understand the cap flexibility.

-I'm glad it didn't work out, but trading away everything for freakin Pau Gasol. Oh my God...imagine that ostrich on the team now. We would be the laughing stock of the league, even if he was averaging 20 a game.

All in all, Morey has done a commendable job. Nobody is perfect, and with a few revisions, changes and firings ;), he'll have an even better reputation.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Dragic is a far more talented player than Lin, so I agree with you. Goran was doing well here in his short time before we let him walk. Although he was inured, Kyle Lowry pretty much lost a lot of his minutes because Goran was playing that well.

What you mentioned that I completely agree with his mcHale's system. That seems to be an issue altogether. I don't know if McHale's system has an identity, in the same way that Pop or Thibs have a system with an identity. Goran probably wanted structure and leadership like he had in PHX with Nash and D'Antoni/Gentry.

The identity/system here changes from game to game or is just nonexistent.