1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Dwight Howard Package

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jun 7, 2012.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

yes exactly!!! then if we do fail then we are finally thrust into a loser team that gets a high lottery pick...either way we finally burst from perpetual mediocrity

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The more and more i think about this trade the more and more i am thinking it could happen. Still unlikely but considering howards options and other teams trade assets it is looking like we have a chance.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Yea dude anyone that has a brain and realizes the mediocrity treadmill we are currently in would do this trade in a heartbeat. For the Rockets it is a win win situation.

4. megastahr

remember guys CP3 didnt want the clips either...he wanted LA or New York.

Didnt get what he wanted but he played well and they are showing they can be great with that core.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

THANK YOU. Somebody has some sense around here... The only way this team is getting a superstar to come here and STAY is to draft our way into relevancy. I feel like we're already well on our way to rebuilding. We have a couple of young PG's who have the potential to be building blocks on a contending team, one of which has made it clear he WANTS to be a rocket. Chandler Parsons is only going to get better, and I belive his ceiling is much higher than most give him credit for. We have two of the best Euro prospects out there with one coming over this season and multiple first round draft picks this season. Wasting all this on an injury ridden superstar for one season would be a GIANT waste. If howard signs and leaves, which WOULD happen, its not a win... we'll have used up all of our assets for nothing. Why allow the Magic to have all of our assets and THEN rebuild when howard inevitably leaves when we could just rebuild now?

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I hereby nominate this for the "Post Of The Day".

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course, yeah, take the risk. But just getting Dwight first or Deron first doesn't = that the other automatically follows.

As far as the fallback Dragic, sure, we all love the guy but he isn't keeping Dwight around. Not unless the Rockets make a Finals run. ;)

Look, I'd clear our roster for Dwight everyday of the week. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. "Yeah, we got Dwight, now here comes Deron!" or vice versa.

Will the Rockets have the money? Serious question, I don't know. I'd leave that up to Bima and HMMHMMM and those cap guys. You're likely taking back Turkoglu with Howard, that alone is 29 million, close to 30. Then whatever is left over after the trade which I can't even speculate on. Williams contract likely to start in the ~16-18 million range.

#47 J.R., Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Somehow, Deron and Dwight seems like the worst bigman/small man combo you could put out there.
    Dwight will not be able to play Deron's pick and roll. While Deron's 3p shooting is not exactly his strongest strength.
    Personally, I do hope that Morey trade away some of those picks and bench players, as our bench is as good as our starting 5, but our starting 5 is among the weakest out there.

9. megastahr

Then by renting Dwight we accomplish that goal. The risk is worth it EVEN if he doesnt resign because we will finally have a draft pick high enough that allows us to get a superstar..... BUT it is stupid to say we CANT convince him to resign...heck if we keep him and clear more space even if we dont get d will we can make a run at cp3 in 2013.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Everyone's getting older.

He's 26 years old still.

He's been First Team All NBA and First Team All Defensive Team for five seasons in a row.

He was Defensive Player of the Year for 3 straight seasons from 09-11.

He finishes first or second in rebounds every season.

He is rarely injured.

He's been the centerpiece of a team that played in the NBA Finals.

I believe he's the kind of player you acquire and build around. Oh, and he's only 26 years old.

I'm skeptical Bynum will ever become that kind of player. I'd be pissed if we helped the Lakers acquire a guy with Howard's pedigree. We'd regret that for years.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Keep in mind we still have our amnesty clause at our disposal. If we were to get Howard i am positive plenty of salary would be headed to orlando so i don't see us having a tough time signing williams.

12. megastahr

Yes because we are giving up most of our contracts that are on the books...if we keep martin then we can trade or worst case amnesty...if we keep sammy then we can buy him out... if we keep scola we can trade or worst case amnesty him.

If we get howard there is no way not being able to pay D will ...will be an issue.

13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Neither of you have sense.... its a WIN WIN... Howard leaves we will not have the 14th pick to "rebuild" with.... Howard stays... we will most likely have him and DWILL.... WIN WIN... If we do nothing... 14th pick next year and no playing time to develop D-MO and Morris and those boys

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with this...i don't know if it brings in Deron. But that's icing if that happens.

If he stays -- I trust Morey big time to assemble the pieces around a guy who is the caliber of Dwight. I think Morey is MADE for that job.

If he goes -- the rebuild is on for real.

I'll take either one of those outcomes over the treadmill or banking on Pau Gasol.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I would be ok with a Dwight Howard rental without giving up any draft picks or young players, while not taking their awful contracts, back.

That's all pure fantasy.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha exactly. 26 must be the new 36. :p

Chandler Parsons is getting old, we better trade him.

17. amaru

amaru Member

The only thing worse than both of those is being mediocre.

18. dje243

dje243 Member

You could also just draft some players with upside and give them tons of minutes. If you make the playoffs then you're onto something. If you don't then you probably get a higher draft pick anyway.

Dragic/vet pg
    Lee/Lamb (or ross)
    Parsons/morris
    D-Mo/Patterson(draftee?)
    Zeller/Camby

Looks promising to me. That's a young roster with several players with at least borderline allstar potential. You get the chance to home grow your talent, which is what McHale advocates. I like the idea of fetting a 3rd 1st rounder and going after sullinger... you could have a big rotation of sully, D-mo, zeller, and camby. That would give us some real offensive potential from the four, and solid defensive potential from the 5.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because, giving up half your team and all your picks for a rental is the dumbest i have heard of. Guess what? We are not going to tank with Howard. So where are all these top picks coming from when he leaves next season???

You guys aren't thinking far enough into the future.
    We won't have the team to win much in the playoffs, thus causing him to leave us with a low 1st round pick. Leaving us in a worse position than we are in now.

It's just a bad move period.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

Agreed