1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's (Christmas) Wish-List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigan points him out mostly as the 2nd or 3rd options behind Dwight Howard(pipe dream) and Nene for the Rockets in free agency in trade.

I see Fesenko in a similar situation as Gortat was a couple years ago, but with far less suitors than Gortat with other higher targeted free agents. Im all for Fesenko as a stop gap, rotational center at the right price. It sounds like the front office shares that view point as well.

I assume Morey knows that Nene/Gasol/Dalembert/DeAndre will have a bidding war going for them right on Dec 9th and the smart thing to do will be to get Fesenko early if he can.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In NBA, GMs shop for Christmas.
    In Houston Rockets, Christmas shops for Morey.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I support Fesenko more than the others mentioned in this thread. Nene, Iggy, Granger, DeAndre, Jefferson won't make us into a contender and will lock us down with large contracts to role players (see: Detroit Pistons). I support either getting cheap, young players to help us win or playing crappy, cheap, young players to rebuild. Fesenko fits either way.

4. inishi

inishi Member

I agree. Nene and dalembert are both over rated and over paid. They don't fill the need we have at center. Either do everything you everything can to get bogut like someone else said, or I would be fine with fesenko at a reasonable price.

5. valorita

valorita Member

All I know about Fesenko is that he is a 7 footer farm boy type big body that hasn't got much burn but has shown spurts of where he can make an impact.

Can anyone give me a good scouting report of him including some vids pls?

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

honestly, if we keep KMart, I would like to pair him with a defensive SF like Iggy or Prince...I think Chase will be traded especially that Parsons is surely to be signed.

7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

8. TheGoldenGreek

Fesenko has Morey written all over him. Young, unproven, cheap contract, and loads of potential. I can definitely see us making a move for him and I'd be excited with that acquisition. He has fantastic size and definitely has the potential to develop into a Marc Gasol type player. I am officially on the Fesenko bandwagon!

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Hell no to Fesenko!

10. valorita

valorita Member

Fesenko: 7'1", 270lbs, 24yrs old, C

Player comparison - M. Gasol a couple years ago.

Offense - Has a couple solid moves down low including a babyhook over his left shoulder with his right hand and a spin move toward the baseline as his counter when the defense takes away the middle. He is able to finish strong through contact and is a willing and able passer. Shooting range is unclear at this point but his mechanics seem decent and should be able to shoot 70%+ from the line and keep defenses honest with range to the elbow. Greatest asset is his size and willingness to bang in the post. Is adept at getting deep position and keeping it.

Defense - Decent rebounder and shot blocker despite not being a high-flyer. Good motor and effort but can be prone to fouls as many bigs are early in their careers. Slow feet and limited hops keep him from being an impact help defender. Size alone is a big factor as he takes up a lot of space and just keeping his arms up is a paint deterant.

Weaknesses - Not extremely athletic and needs to become more lean. Frame should be able to handle the bulk. Upside is unclear.

Conclusion - Jazz frontcourt is packed with Al Jef, Milsap, Favors, Kanter. We should be able to get the young man for a reasonable contract. If we can get him for ~3mil per year, then I would definitely think that he is someone who would be a decent backup this year with room to grow. In order to make space for him on the roster, we would have to trade Hill or Thabeet. Which brings me to the point that we really need to consolidate our assets into an upgrade.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Hell no to Fesenk-no!

Go after Nene!

12. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tyson Chandler is a couple years away from complete ass sucking...

Unless you can get a deal, I would NOT give that guy any type of long term contract...

14. valorita

valorita Member

Has anyone else really been impressed with Kirilenko's performance with Russia over the off-season? He seems to have gotten his confidence back. His game seems like the type that would be very friendly in Morey's stat analysis.

15. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

What is wrong with clutchfans? The Rockets need to rebuild bottom line. Worst possible scenario is that we make the playoffs. Lets be real this team is not a championship contender at all. Trade Luis, let Chuck go and trade anybody else on the roster to get some draft picks this is going to be one of the deepest drafts ever. Sometimes things have to get worst before they get better.

16. valorita

valorita Member

The most attainable superstar imo is Chris Paul.
    The league is still trying to find new ownership. If we can
    Since Paul seems to have his mind set on New York, would Morey be willing to take a risk without any long term guarantees hoping to lure Dwight to Houston next year?

Here's how I see it playing out -
    1) N.O. needs to trim payroll.
    Paul for Lowry, Lee, Patterson, Thabeet and NY draft pick
    Hornets amnesty Okafor and we "wink wink" bid high (say $10 mil) so that N.O. is only paying for $2mil of his salary. This is the key point of this trade.

Okafor/Hayes
    Scola/Hill
    Budinger/Morris
    Martin/Williams
    Paul/Dragic/Flynn

I think that is a top 5 team in the West.

2) Summer of Dwight. Use Paul to recruit Howard. Still have our own amnesty to create cap space if needed.

17. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Without dwight this team is mirror images of the 2008-2009 Hornets which werent bad but didnt do anything special either. Hold off on Okafor, package all assets and draft pics for a top 3 pick. pick Lamb or Barnes as your Kobe type sign dwight as your shaq and start a dynasty. Pipe dream but this a Christmas list and Santa aint real.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I would hit up Moreys ego once again. It takes one or three by years end every year already anyways. So I will just lay off of him this year and hopefully reverse jinx him into catching the fish he wants finally.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What about some of the amnesty players, since teams under the cap can bid on them before they become free agents? Such as a heavily discounted Rashard Lewis.

20. valorita

valorita Member

What about if we sign Greg Oden to a "toxic" front-loaded contract, one that Portland can't match.

We use this shortened season to see if he has anything to offer
    and if he sucks or is injured
    then we can amnesty him.

expensive gamble but one that wouldn't hurt the team long term.