1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey's Ace] Summer of 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 10, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

It's what MOST teams do. Cant imagine how OKC has felt, as all they've had is "next year" despite having top players.

2. dmoneybangbang

**Repped you.

3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Do not want Horford or Conley on max deals.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I can't take this comment seriously without spread sheets, graphs and detailed analysis

5. alethios

alethios Member

If we were somehow able to convince KD to join us this year and then go after Westbrook and Ibaka next year, we'd become....the Thunder.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because in a very short timespan we unexpectedly lost two HOFers to injury, and without going under .500 we got another two HOFers for Kevin f'ing Martin...

We are down now, but Daryl will have us up again soon. There is not one other GM I would say that with confidence about.

We had a great team and we brought in Ron Artest, got a bit unlucky. We had a great team and we brought in Ty Lawson, got a bit unlucky. Daryl will set us up again to take another shot.

7. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Excellent post, OP!

Looking at this season ahead, I'm starting to feel more and more optimistic about it. Reading :07 or Less and listening to the most recent Red & Orange Report, I'm confident we will make a dramatic improvement in chemistry, identity, and efficiency on both ends of the floor.

I'm on board with the Bzdelik hire and Roy Rodgers to a lesser extent. What this team seemed to be lacking last year was a system. A system for guards. A system for big men. A system for pre-game rituals. A system for video reviews. A system for divvying up the coaching duties. It's purely conjecture on my part, but last year's team was a colossal mess in terms of people (players and coaching staff) not knowing their roles. I hope the new coaching staff and player personnel will fix all of that from day 1.

Carry-overs from last year's team:
    1) James Harden - And I fully expect him to be the primary ball handler. He may not be MVP Nash, but he can run the floor and PnR better than most NBA players. He will be our de facto PG.

2) Clint Capela - I expect him to have a breakout year. We need him to take that next step, but in a faster-paced offense where he will be counted upon to run the floor, set picks, and connect on alley-oops. We've already seem flashes of it from him. Now, he needs to do it on a nightly basis.

3) Patrick Beverly - D'Antoni has already stated that PBev will have a role on this team. Hoping for a Raja Bell ver. 2.

4) Donatas Motiejunas - I'm hopeful that DMo will be back. He, like Capela, will be doing a ton of PnRs. But in this new offense, he will flourish as a mid-range jump shooter.

If we even get a whiff of Durant, all of these predictions will change. But I'm hoping to see the following players join the roster.

1) Al Horford - Rockets need to be focusing their FA pitch on this guy. Can play multiple positions, dependable big man who can adjust to any system.

2) Jeremy Lin - Not a LOF. But a PG is crucial in a D'Antoni system right? Well, we've got Harden for that. Lin will play minutes beside Harden, just as he did back in 2012-13 and 2013-14. When Harden is sitting, he will assume the PG duties. Though I'm not expecting a second-coming of Linsanity, he knows the D'Antoni system and looks mighty comfortable in that role.

3) Jared Dudley - As much as I think it's an oversimplification to expect the Rockets to recreate the mid '00 Suns, comparisons can be made to Dudley having a Boris Diaw role. High IQ player, can play 3 or 4, can pass the basketball, and defend pretty well. Plus, any guy who wants to wear a Rockets uni is welcomed in my book.

4) Nicolas Batum - Versatile, long, and still has some O left in his tank.

5) Courtney Lee - Can defend the perimeter and hit the 3.

6) Ryan Anderson - Can see him being the trailer on a fast-paced team who's automatic from behind the arc.

To round off the roster, we need a bunch of 3 and D guys. Throw in Ariza, McDaniels, and Beasley to surround Harden.

8. chandlerbang21

You sure like pick n rolls lol better make sure players work on their midrange games because if harden and the big are scared to take them the pick n roll will be voided by defense sagging off both. Back im phoenix nash had the pick n pop amare to switch of the offense and become unpredictable. Aside from beasly the rockets have no other big that can hit the shot

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How many of Hakeem Olajuwon's prime years were wasted trying to get him the right support? How long did it take exactly?

I understand the point. But these things dont happen overnight. Everyone calling for Les's or Morey's head expecting it all to fall together in one season are delusional. Yes, everything could go right. But lets not polish the chopping block if it doesn't.

10. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Redick in an MDA Offense. That's sexy!

I do think though that waiting a year just makes us even less desirable to FA. By going this route, we will strike out in 2017.

11. 713Genius

713Genius Member

Get 3 & D guys around harden and hopefully sign Hortford, or Whiteside to at least compete in the West so players view as a serious franchise who needs stars to win and not a team who just want to go for the big fish or fail miserably like we've been doing besides 2014-2015 season by just signing anyone and hoping it fits with Harden in which everyone cannot fit him.